Update manager crash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jompa89

Update manager crash

Post by jompa89 »

I recently installed Mint 12. When I tried to use the update manager it crashed when I pressed install. I can refresh the list an so forth, but not install. Updating with apt-get in the terminal worked fine, but I would like it to be possible to update through the update manager.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
perj62

Re: Update manager crash

Post by perj62 »

Same experiece. I have installed LM12 twice, as I suspected some problems with the installation, but the update manager is crashing each time I try to install packages. Without any error messages. And I was not able to run "Update to DVD version" or "Install codecs" from the startup screen either. But updating from apt-get works fine, and also the Software Manager. I have used LM for years without any problems like this, so I guess the problems are somehow connected to Gnome 3. Have you found a solution?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

try close update manager, and open manually
source : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/585374
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

mank_in wrote:source : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/585374
I don't think this is relevant to the mint update manager in mint 12.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
perj62

Post by perj62 »

Seems like a found the problem. Both me and "jompa89" are norwegians, and are probably using norwegian language pack. Today I experienced the same problem when I installed LM12 on my EEE mini PC too, but then I switch to english language, and now the update manager works....

Where can I report this problem to have it solved?
jompa89

Post by jompa89 »

perj62 wrote:Seems like a found the problem. Both me and "jompa89" are norwegians, and are probably using norwegian language pack. Today I experienced the same problem when I installed LM12 on my EEE mini PC too, but then I switch to english language, and now the update manager works....

Where can I report this problem to have it solved?
I tested this and can confirm that it worked when I changed the language to English. So the problem has something to do with language.
perj62

Post by perj62 »

OK. I have reported this in "Launchpad".
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/913642
cumulina

Post by cumulina »

Great to read about this!

I installed Lisa on 2 computers from the same DVD today:

1) On my laptop - with danish as my language, and update manager worked flawlessly.

2) On our "main" computer, a desktop, in Norwegan (The rest of the family are all norwegian) and update manager informs me that there art 300+ updates, I press install - and PUFF - it dissapears.

Changed the language system-wide to danish, (after reading your posts) and all works perfectly now.

Thanks for your posts, guys.

:D
jompa89

Post by jompa89 »

Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon, since it seems to be the language setting that is the problem. For now I use apt-get.
vegaroyfoss

Post by vegaroyfoss »

Unfortunately, the bug has still not been fixed. So here is Norwegian number 3 signing in with the same problem :(
arbogast

Post by arbogast »

And here's norwegian no 4 with same problem ;)
Vaboen

Post by Vaboen »

Hi,
I installed Mint 13 Maya this week and the bug is still not solved.
Changed the language from Norwegian to English, then the Update Manager worked fine. :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Vaboen,
Please start a new thread for an issue with a different edition

Return to “Software & Applications”