Recommended gmail notifier for Cinnamon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Recommended gmail notifier for Cinnamon?

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Well, the title says it. I had bad results with checkgmail which was my preferred utility on Gnome2.

The other one which is in our Mint repository is Gnome-mail-notifier. Its icon does not seem to appear in the Cinamon systray (unless I messed something) which is pretty bad for a would-be notifier so I am open to any advice on this topic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Recommended gmail notifier for Cinnamon?

Post by Iamwithin »

Okay here is what I did...

First you have to install checkgmail from repos (even though it won't work yet). Then...

1) the file checkgmail no longer works with google's new software, but I found a corrected file in Germany.
I have uploaded it for you here: https://backup.filesanywhere.com/FS/v.a ... 6772ac73a3

2) download the new checkgmail file and (as root) replace the one in /usr/bin (you MUST take ownership of the file)
and give [yourself and root] priveleges to read and write, and make sure you check the box to make it executable.

3) in mintmenu find Startup Applications and make a new entry, make sure you enter this under command: checkgmail --no_cookies

4) restart and when checkgmail opens enter your info and password and wave file if you want a sound and icons you prefer.
the command to play a wav file when you get mail is: aplay /home/Music/whatever.wav (assuming you have aplay installed)

That's it, enjoy! :D

Bill
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Google Mail Checker Plus Classic is what i use (if you use Chrome or Chromium as a web browser you might want to take a look) it's available from the google extensions page...it works great! I started using it when checkgmail starting having problems...i get the impression it is no longer being maintained...

That extension works great...notifies you when you get mail...you can check it to see the headers of the new mail and even going into gmail right from it :)
Seems to be a lot more reliable then checkgmail at this point in time...
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Wow!! This is professional support!! :D

Thanks both of you for your solutions. I will try them to-morrow and report back. Btw I use Firefox.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

roger64 wrote:Wow!! This is professional support!! :D

Thanks both of you for your solutions. I will try them to-morrow and report back. Btw I use Firefox.
there is a nice addon in firefox also called mail watcher it works well with gmail.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@kc1d1

Thanks too. As I am a Firefox user, I installed the Firefox add-on gmail watcher which works well.

For some reason, I could not download the file from PCanywhere and so could not try the corrected version of checkgmail.

Thanks you all for your informations.
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

Roger, glad to hear you got it working! :-D

Regards,

Bill
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

And now, checkgmail too is working. But it seems I do not have all the former possibilities (namely delete, mark like read). I have just open

Thanks lot for your help. :D

I also have now to try to find a way to fill up the background of the icon. The preferences in checkgmail do nothing about it.
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

Filling up the background is a theme issue.
When you first log on, change themes them go back again to original theme and background is filled.
In gnome 3 when I use "shine" theme the background is filled automatically.

Once they get themes working for Cinammon, the background will be filled automatically.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

OK. When I was using Maverick, I had used a patch to make the icon background transparent. I checked it, but it refers to gk2, so obviously, it can't work. Well, I'll just wait a little as you say.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/checkgmail/+bug/236046
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

By the way, the background is fine with the new Cinnamon themes using Cinnamon Settings.
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

I have modified two themes for Cinnamon 1.1.3
You can install them with Cinnamon Settings.

Here is the link: https://backup.filesanywhere.com/FS/v.a ... 5e74baa867

Enjoy!

Bill
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi, Bill

Good idea.

This time, I could download without any problem. I installed and tested Shine. It seems to work only so-so with Cinnamon 1.1.3, particularly the appearance of the Mintmenu slab is too bad (very small characters, mingled lines).
Iamwithin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Iamwithin »

Roger, do not place the theme in /usr/share/themes - it doesn't look good there. delete those if you did. Place the themes in /home/.themes then they work great and minmenu is good. Here is a screenshot of how it looks on my desktop: https://backup.filesanywhere.com/FS/M.a ... 9db579aea8

I found the answer; if you download themes and place in /home/.themes then YOU should have ownership. And they look nice. But if you place in /usr/share/themes, then ROOT has ownership and they don’t look good unless you change ownership. I tested it and it works.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

I get about the same results. The display is not good on my computer.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi,

For whatever reason, I noticed today an improvement: Cinnamon makes good use of my checkgmail custom icons with transparent background.

I only use the "official" Cinnamon theme. I did not modify the checkgmail file I received from Iamwithin (Bill).

So for now: I get a popup message for the incoming mail
and

BUT

Alas, when I rebooted, it came back to the old display, not taking care of my transparent background. I do not understand what happened.. :? I just rebooted and changed nothing at all... Mysteries...
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

I'll try to bring this thread back to life.

I've used mail-notification for years and it has always been my preferred mail checker. I like it because it's simple and it supports multiple accounts and protocols. I remember a few years ago when Ubuntu introduced some "dark" themes, the no transparent background on the icon was an issue.

I've installed mail-notification on Cinnamon and it works fine but has that little annoyance. Anyone seen it and/or fixed it?
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

I know it is an old topic...but I have to share :)

I use GmailSniffer - https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmailsniffer/

I use it on MATE and Cinnamon.
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

drcasper wrote:I know it is an old topic...but I have to share :)

I use GmailSniffer - https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmailsniffer/

I use it on MATE and Cinnamon.
Interesting!
But how can I install it and automatically launch it at boot by default?

I run LMDE 64bit, Cinnamon 1.8.8.

Thanks!
LM Cinnamon 64bit
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

I've solved. Gmail-notify works also on Cinnamon .
LM Cinnamon 64bit

Return to “Software & Applications”