Firefox from Version 5 to 9?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Firefox from Version 5 to 9?

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi all,

I noticed there were updates ready for my computer last night, one of which was Firefox. What I found odd was it jumped from version 5 to 9. I've done some research and found that 9 is the very latest version of Firefox, but this seems unusual for LMDE to have the very latest version for whatever reason.

Can I check this is deliberate and expected behaviour, or is there something awry with my system?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox from Version 5 to 9?

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

WhatUsernameIsFree? wrote:this seems unusual for LMDE to have the very latest version for whatever reason.
I think its because FF 9 wasn't the very latest version of FF, for now, I think it's FF 10. If FF 9 was considered as stable, so make sense if its on repo right?
AFAIK, now firefox will get new version number every 6 weeks (read on somewhere I forget)
So I'm sure your system was fine.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

No, there is nothing wrong with your system. Firefox really has been updated. :)

Firefox exists in the Linux Mint repository rather than in the Debian one, so it can get updated even between Update Packs. Firefox 9 is the latest version btw. Version 10 is still in beta.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

9.0.1 is the current release/stable version of Firefox. Iceweasel in sid is also at 9.0.1.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Not that I really care, since as far as I can tell nothing has changed since version 4, but what happened to version 6, 7 and 8?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I guess they didn't make their way to the Mint repo, that's all. Mint dev team is pretty busy these days. :)
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Much of this doesn't make sense if you're not 'into' computers. Oh well, good work Mint Team, guess that's the problem of having such a good distro, many users! ;)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

WhatUsernameIsFree? wrote:Much of this doesn't make sense if you're not 'into' computers.
Maybe that's why this subforum used to have so many "I want the latest Firefox, why LMDE has only 4.0 (or 5.0)" threads. :D
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Monsta wrote:
WhatUsernameIsFree? wrote:Much of this doesn't make sense if you're not 'into' computers.
Maybe that's why this subforum used to have so many "I want the latest Firefox, why LMDE has only 4.0 (or 5.0)" threads. :D
To me, versions are just a number, especially true with Firefox. I genuinely can't tell what's new with version 9 over version 5, which means that I've jumped three versions without spotting a *single* difference. Well done Mozilla, you're pushing the boat out there! :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Same here. That's why I wasn't upset that I had only version 5.0.
Mozilla is doing a great job in the field of version number accelerating, but they'll never get close to Nvidia. (or udev.) 8)

Return to “LMDE Archive”