Users need clear information about installation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kenan

Users need clear information about installation

Post by kenan »

I had many problems during the installation.
The information is not clear about downloaded sources, so
many problems may occur and I had many many problems.

1- I had a problem using together with windows 7. I installed Linux mint 12 and after that I couldn't get this op.system at the boot processing only my first op.sys. windows 7 was seemed.

Then I used the little CD version then it was seemed in booting.

2- After getting updates the desktop was worse than the orijinal version so I installed the software a few time.

3- I rewieved the CD version , I noticed that it was possible
the Linux mint could be installed in the windows 7 layer.

I tried this way and I ran the pgm. to install .
But it was a bad result so the PC coult not boot.
Why your installing pgm says that it is possible,
is it a trap for the people? You have to repair these bugs and give simple and basic information for users.

4- I had chance that after I installed your Cd version I could boot the PC and I repaired the corrupted line of beginning bug.

For the conclusion it was not a good travel I feeled not well.

For your knowledge.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Users need clear information about installation

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There is an excellent set of Installation Instructions in the Mint User Guide. Unfortunately this is not mentioned in the Release Announcement or Notes. An understandable oversight when you think about a small group like the Mint team and all they must get done every six months to put out an outstanding Linux distro. I have brought this up to the other Forum Moderators and Administrators. Hopefully the needed statement will be added.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

kenan wrote:I had many problems during the installation.
The information is not clear about downloaded sources, so
many problems may occur and I had many many problems.

1- I had a problem using together with windows 7. I installed Linux mint 12 and after that I couldn't get this op.system at the boot processing only my first op.sys. windows 7 was seemed.

Then I used the little CD version then it was seemed in booting.

2- After getting updates the desktop was worse than the orijinal version so I installed the software a few time.

3- I rewieved the CD version , I noticed that it was possible
the Linux mint could be installed in the windows 7 layer.

I tried this way and I ran the pgm. to install .
But it was a bad result so the PC coult not boot.
Why your installing pgm says that it is possible,
is it a trap for the people? You have to repair these bugs and give simple and basic information for users.

4- I had chance that after I installed your Cd version I could boot the PC and I repaired the corrupted line of beginning bug.

For the conclusion it was not a good travel I feeled not well.

For your knowledge.
I'm sorry if I sound angry, but in response to number 3, mint4win (the name of the program) is in no way a trap for people, and it is very disrespectful to suggest such a thing. Mint4win is a legitimate and IMO pretty amazing program. It (and wubi, which is the original version from Ubuntu) allow new users to test mint (or ubuntu) without partitioning. I have used it MANY, MANY times (at least 20 time using Ubuntu 10.04, multiple times with 11.04, multiple times with 11.10, with mint 9, with mint 10, with mint 10 kde, many times with mint 11, with mint 12 release candidate, and multiple times with mint 12), and it has worked every single time. It has also removed itself flawlessly. I agree that there should be easier to access install instructions, but there are so many just a google search away. And, as Aging Technogeek said, Linux Mint has a very small dev team (only one full time dev until recently). It is amazing that they have such a great distro, and it has worked for many people. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but please do not ask questions such as "is it a trap for people."

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”