Wine no such file or directory

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
William_S

Wine no such file or directory

Post by William_S »

I keep getting this error message when trying to run wine:
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory.

Output from which wine gives

which wine
/usr/bin/wine

so it should find it. I installed using sudo apt-get install wine, also tried to remove it with --purge flag and reinstall, but not any success. What could be the problem here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Wine no such file or directory

Post by seppalta »

The virtual C-drive is in the .wine hidden directory in your home directory. From there it is like Windows. Click on the .exe for the application in the Programs Directory in C-drive to launch it, first making sure permission to execute is granted (right click .exe and check appropriate box). Wine generally does not show up in the Main Menu until a Wine application has been launched.
William_S

Post by William_S »

No there is no such .wine directory in my home (yes I show them with ls -a) but this is a very strange problem. I removed the default Wine and added the PPA for Wine 1.3 and tried to install that instead, but still no luck getting it to work. The strange thing is there is a wine file inside /usr/bin, but I can't get it to run or something like that, seems like it is chronically corrupt or something which is probably why I get the error message.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

There should be many Wine files - wine, winetricks, ... - in /usr/bin. To install Wine, first I run sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa in the terminal. Then I go to Synaptic, click reload, and find Wine 1.3 and install it. This has always worked.
http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#10
William_S

Post by William_S »

seppalta wrote:There should be many Wine files - wine, winetricks, ... - in /usr/bin. To install Wine, first I run sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa in the terminal. Then I go to Synaptic, click reload, and find Wine 1.3 and install it. This has always worked.
http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#10

That is excatly what I did except for I used the command line with apt-get. I can also see the files mentioned. It seems like a bug in some Wine installs according to Google, but that seems to be with wine 1.2. Shouldn't be the same issue with Wine 1.3...
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

What do you mean: "I can't get it to work"? It won't launch Wine programs? I have never launched wine per se. It will configure itself and appear in the main menu after you launch your first Wine program.
William_S

Post by William_S »

seppalta wrote:What do you mean: "I can't get it to work"? It won't launch Wine programs? I have never launched wine per se. It will configure itself and appear in the main menu after you launch your first Wine program.
You are right, it woun't launch any Wine programs. You are supposed to launch Wine programs with wine 'installme.exe' from the shell, but I get an error message when I attempt to do that. Wine appears in the main menu, but the options there don't work. Nothing happens when I click them.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

You might try opening your home folder with hidden files showing and delete the .wine folder. It will be recreated the next time Wine runs. I have had some success with this method.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You don't have to run /usr/bin/wine to run a Wine program. Just wine filename.exe is sufficient.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
conslie

Post by conslie »

Normally, just clicking on an .exe file should cause that file to be executed by wine. No need to "run" wine at all, although it can be used as a command within a terminal. but even then it needs some target to act on, just as with other Linux commands.

I may be misreading your situation, but if you are expecting to "run" wine alone and get a virtual Windows desktop, then you can accomplish that objective using VirtualBox, not Wine.
William_S

Post by William_S »

AlbertP wrote:You don't have to run /usr/bin/wine to run a Wine program. Just wine filename.exe is sufficient.
I know that, but I get an error message when doing wine installme.exe

Output from terminal: /usr/bin/wine no such file or directory....
log2g

Post by log2g »

A

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libc6-i386
in a terminal should resolve your problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”