spanish characters

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

spanish characters

Post by bmike1 »

how does one map spanish characters to a US keyboard? I want to make it so the windows key will put the accent marks ('n' with the tilde/'u' with the dots.....) and the upside down question mark and stuff like that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
:)~Mikey~(:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: spanish characters

Post by xenopeek »

On Linux Mint 11, you do this by opening "Keyboard" from the Control Center. Open the Layouts tab, click Options, and assign the key you want to "Compose key position". On Linux Mint 12, you open "Keyboad Layout" from the System Settings. The rest of the steps are the same.

Your key + a diacritic will combine the diacritic with the next letter typed. For example to get é, you press your key + ' (no character appears on the screen), release both those keys, and press e. If you want ê, you first press and hold shift, then your key + 6, release all three keys, and press e.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

Another convenient way to get all those tricky Spanish tildes and whatnot is using the AltGr with dead keys keyboard layout. Basically you just press Right Alt + letter and you get the accent on it. I find it to be very efficient, especially when writing long paragraphs!
perpetualtimewaster

Post by perpetualtimewaster »

Kikito wrote:Another convenient way to get all those tricky Spanish tildes and whatnot is using the AltGr with dead keys keyboard layout. Basically you just press Right Alt + letter and you get the accent on it. I find it to be very efficient, especially when writing long paragraphs!
I attempted to write the spanish word 'senor' with a tilde ~ above the n using the right Alt key & the letter n & it didn't work. Please explain what you are referring to with the phrase 'AltGr with dead keys keyboard layout.'
coolpup69ca

Post by coolpup69ca »

Would you be using this regularly, or just occasionally? If it's an occasional thing, you could always use the character map that comes with Mint. In the MATE version of Mint 14, it's in Applications -> Accessories.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

xenopeek wrote:On Linux Mint 11, you do this by opening "Keyboard" from the Control Center. Open the Layouts tab, click Options, and assign the key you want to "Compose key position". On Linux Mint 12, you open "Keyboad Layout" from the System Settings. The rest of the steps are the same.

Your key + a diacritic will combine the diacritic with the next letter typed. For example to get é, you press your key + ' (no character appears on the screen), release both those keys, and press e. If you want ê, you first press and hold shift, then your key + 6, release all three keys, and press e.

Your key + diactric? I hit the win+ either of the diactics (`/~) and the `/~ just keep printing.
:)~Mikey~(:

Return to “Software & Applications”