FireFox changed to German at some point

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

FireFox changed to German at some point

Post by rtrev »

I always use Chrome, but when something isn't working I'll drop back to Firefox. I tried this today, and Firefox was presented in German. I'm in the U.S., and have always used the "en" version.. in fact I've never been asked. It's always figured things out on its own and gotten it right.

Now I have only German menus to use to try to fix it, and of course I can't read the menus. :lol:

I believe this is now Firefox 4.x, which would have been my first time using the new version. Perhaps that's relevant, that it changed version while I wasn't using it at all?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
Gerd50

Re: FireFox changed to German at some point

Post by Gerd50 »

Sounds crazy. Is firefox-l10n-de really installed? Should not a big deal to change it to firefox-l10n-en-us then, or?
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Gerd50 wrote:Sounds crazy. Is firefox-l10n-de really installed? Should not a big deal to change it to firefox-l10n-en-us then, or?
Actually, I'm showing my American (mis)education here.. it was the Africaans version installed. I installed the en-us version, but it still isn't completely fixed.

For example, the first bookmark is listed as "Meeste besoek".

But... thanks! I should have thought of looking at which version was installed. I was thinking we picked the language preferences from within the app, for some reason.

Bob
dougie

Post by dougie »

Bizarre. This has just happened to me on LMDE. The system appeared to have crashed but I could ssh from another machine, so I did a reboot. Now firefox (9) is in German.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Here's what fixed it for me (no idea how I ended up with the Afrikaans language packs!):

Code: Select all

dougie@phoenix ~ $ dpkg -l | grep firefox
ii  firefox                               9.0.1-1linuxmint1                 The Firefox web browser
ii  firefox-l10n-af                       9.0.1-1linuxmint1                 Afrikaans language packs for Firefox
dougie@phoenix ~ $ sudo apt-get remove firefox-l10n-af --purge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  firefox-l10n-en-us
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  firefox-l10n-af*
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firefox-l10n-en-us
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,725 kB of archives.
After this operation, 8,192 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Get:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import firefox-l10n-en-us amd64 9.0.1-1linuxmint1 [4,725 kB]
Fetched 4,725 kB in 3s (1,314 kB/s)             
dpkg: firefox-l10n-af: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
 firefox depends on firefox-l10n | firefox-l10n-en-us; however:
  Package firefox-l10n is not installed.
  Package firefox-l10n-af which provides firefox-l10n is to be removed.
  Package firefox-l10n-en-us is not installed.
(Reading database ... 217631 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing firefox-l10n-af ...
Selecting previously deselected package firefox-l10n-en-us.
(Reading database ... 217627 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking firefox-l10n-en-us (from .../firefox-l10n-en-us_9.0.1-1linuxmint1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up firefox-l10n-en-us (9.0.1-1linuxmint1) ...
Arran

Post by Arran »

The affrican Language Pack is for the edition 9.0.1 by some mysterious ways coupled*. In Synaptic this language is prehighlighted as soon as you click on the FF and installs automatically unless you disselect it. I think by upgrading though the console 99% of all users do not even see this. No problem just get rid of this pack and install the laguages you understand.

* Perhaps a little greeting from Mr Shuttleworth?
longtom

Post by longtom »

Wat is die probleem? Afrikaans is tog so 'n mooi taal! :P :mrgreen:
Arran

Post by Arran »

Hesch uuchoge recht, I will anappezöllerischi, und zwar an Usserrhödler Uusfüehrig vom Füüfuchs. :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”