KDE 4.8 is Out

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daboo

KDE 4.8 is Out

Post by Daboo »

KDE 4.8...not the release code but final version, is on the servers.

I've been using the RC2 for a week now, and it seems stable for what I do with it.

Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Re: KDE 4.8 is Out

Post by Rua »

Will it be available in the Mint 12 KDE edition, or would we have to wait for Mint 13?
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

Don't know. I got it through YAST.

Chris
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

usually it would be available through kubuntu backports short after the release (as happened before)
luisfpg

Post by luisfpg »

I'm a Kubuntu user, and I'm thinking about trying Linux Mint KDE.
My question is: do Linux Mint KDE uses the same KDE packages as Kubuntu?
Are the kubuntu-updates and kubuntu-backports safe to use under Linux Mint?
Also, as a side question, as I've never used Mint before, do add-apt-repository works as expected?
Thanks in advance.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

I think Mint uses the same repositories as Ubuntu, so they should be compatible and have the same updates.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

do Linux Mint KDE uses the same KDE packages as Kubuntu?
yes.
Are the kubuntu-updates and kubuntu-backports safe to use under Linux Mint?
yes, if you are referring to Mint12-Lisa (the ubuntu-based edition)
do add-apt-repository works as expected?
same as immediately above.

welcome to the forum
mack_guy911

Post by mack_guy911 »

in sort linux mint is best of ubuntu

what ubuntu misses by default or not having it for some reasons or out of box experience mint is best :mrgreen:

kubuntu-updates and kubuntu-backports are default in linux mint maybe uncheck i am not on kde but sure you get them there out of box so if you like kubuntu or ubuntu and you want ++ experience they this one distro you going to love it.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Just found a very good article about KDE-4.8

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/kde- ... t=FaceBook
colyn

Post by colyn »

Since daisy won't work in this version does anybody know a good dock for 4.8??
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

when i updated one of my installs to 4.8 i found out that fancy tasks doesn't work either (neither does fushigi- it's broken as far as i can tell), and icon-tasks is not a valid replacement (imo), so i'm looking as well for a new launcher.
colyn

Post by colyn »

zerozero wrote:when i updated one of my installs to 4.8 i found out that fancy tasks doesn't work either (neither does fushigi- it's broken as far as i can tell), and icon-tasks is not a valid replacement (imo), so i'm looking as well for a new launcher.
For now I added a panel at the top and set my launchers on it..

Hopefully the widgets catch up soon..
jmeidal

Post by jmeidal »

I wondered about launchers too, but then realized icon-tasks have been merged into the default taskbar widget. So just create a new default panel or add back the standard task widget and you'll get a taste of it!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

colyn wrote:Since daisy won't work in this version does anybody know a good dock for 4.8??
I just set my lower panel to not be as wide as the screen. You may need to play with the width controls to get something you're happy with but just click on the cashew on the right of the panel and adjust the width arrow controls. You may also want to try Fancy Tasks, but on my LMDE system I couldn't add any widgets to it.

Does anyone know how to get KDE 4.8 on LMDE since I can't use PPA's?
ivarth

Post by ivarth »

I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 right now, waiting for final release of Mint 12 KDE.

Have any of you updated your Mint 12 KDE RC to KDE 4.8?
Any problems besides some incompatible widgets?

I'm thinking of upgrading KDE 4.7.4->4.8 on Mint12 when it's out....bad idea or not? Will it break any of the specialized Mintie stuff?
colyn

Post by colyn »

ivarth wrote:I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 right now, waiting for final release of Mint 12 KDE.

I'm thinking of upgrading KDE 4.7.4->4.8 on Mint12 when it's out....bad idea or not? Will it break any of the specialized Mintie stuff?
I'm running two Mint 12 KDE RC machines with 4.8 with no issues. I suspect the few incompatible widgets will be updated soon..
ivarth

Post by ivarth »

colyn wrote:
ivarth wrote:I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 right now, waiting for final release of Mint 12 KDE.

I'm running two Mint 12 KDE RC machines with 4.8 with no issues. I suspect the few incompatible widgets will be updated soon..
Cool! Good to know.

Thanks! :)
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I've been running KDE 4.8 on openSUSE 12.1 for awhile. I didn't know there was any incompatible widgets. Which are you having problems with?

Chris
colyn

Post by colyn »

Daboo wrote:I've been running KDE 4.8 on openSUSE 12.1 for awhile. I didn't know there was any incompatible widgets. Which are you having problems with?

Chris
fancy tasks and daisy are the two I know of. They are both docks..

I have not tried any others to see if more don't work.

All that are maintained by KDE do work..
morphex

Post by morphex »

fancy tasks now works on kde4.8 i had compiled it from source and works.

Return to “Software & Applications”