UEFI: Windows 8 will ban Linux running on ARM

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

UEFI: Windows 8 will ban Linux running on ARM

Post by xenopeek »

Earlier, concerns were raised around Microsoft's requirements to its hardware partners to run Windows 8 with UEFI secure boot enabled. The major concern was this could lead to "bricked" hardware, which you could not run any other operating system on (even from Microsoft).

While those concerns have been allayed somewhat since, here is a strong reminder of the path Microsoft still is on: http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/201 ... -down-ARM/

In a nutshell; any ARM based device (tablet, ultrabook-like laptop) running Windows 8 will be required to not be able to run anything but Windows 8... No disabling of secure boot is allowed, neither is custom mode (which allows a user to add signatures to boot other operating systems with secure boot enabled).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: UEFI: Windows 8 will ban Linux running on ARM

Post by ej64 »

I hope this will be widely discussed when these tablets hit the market. And that such dongling policies will be stigmatized by the public.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I saw this over at LQ yesterday. My reaction upon reading - well, I didn't really have one. There's nothing surprising in it whatsoever. What will I do about it? Nothing. I don't buy MS stuff anyway, so I won't be buying a Windows phone, Windows tablet or anything else that says Windows on it. I build my own PCs, so I don't get Win as a default option that I have to remove. Bottom line, it affects me not one bit.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

I would imagine any attempt to do this by MS would attract the attention of the regulatory authorities both in the US and EU.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It's certainly not the first time MS has blatantly attempted to monopolize the marketplace. They've been put in their place nearly every time, and I don't expect this to be any different. Worst case scenario is that they get away with it, and all of us Linuxers will be building our own pc's. While I still boot into Win 7 once a month or so, I'll build my own pc before I'm forced into using ONLY Windows.

The way I actually think it will play out is that once the major manufacturers bending to this are identified, there will be a huge campaign against their products, similar to what happened with GoDaddy supporting SOPA. Our community may not be huge in comparison with Windows users, but pc manufacturers aren't going to want to lose ANY dollars over this.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
gn2

Post by gn2 »

xenopeek wrote:In a nutshell; any ARM based device (tablet, ultrabook-like laptop) running Windows 8 will be required to not be able to run anything but Windows 8... No disabling of secure boot is allowed, neither is custom mode (which allows a user to add signatures to boot other operating systems with secure boot enabled).
Which will be OK if consumers have the choice to buy a non-Windows ARM device.
It's the availability of this choice which causes me most concern.
Remember what happened to Linux netbooks...
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

Although this will not affect me personally, as I build my own computers, it will cause me problems in converting people to Linux. All of the many people I have convinced to try Linux have machines that were purchased with Windows installed. This is a major concern for me.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

This seems to me like a "foot in the door" kind of thing for MS to see what they can get away with. My big concern is the future and the number of devices that may end up running on ARM. Right now this might not seem huge, but in 3-5 years if many/most laptops are running ARM it will be a big deal and harder to do something about if MS gets away with it now.
KBD47
harvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harvi »

I think, this doesnt affect users if they could choose what they want ( Microsoft software or somethink else)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Like Roken and Detonate (and tdockery97 when left with no other option :wink:), I always build my own machines. Still, Linux supports ARM as a platform, and I'd like to run Linux on a future tablet...
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Well, now I'm definitely getting an android tablet. :lol:
melbo

Post by melbo »

Isn't this what Apple does with Macs?
I thought that was why you had to use special Apple bootloaders (bootcamp) to load another, approved OS.
Don't know since I don't have a Mac but the OSx86 guys are always talking about efi.
karliet

Post by karliet »

I actually upgraded my comp recently and the new bios had UEFI safe boot which made me mad (for a second) but after looking through the Bios I noticed that I could disable the safe boot b.s. I am not sure whether all bios's will have this option (or if this option will be able to be disabled)

(p.s. I also custom build my computers. Why pay the 30% mark-up for terrible prebuilt hard ware?)
tomast

Post by tomast »

karliet,
May I ask which Mother Board you have ?
I was planning to get a new Gigabyte MB soon but I can't seem to find out if it will have the "disable UEFI" feature or not...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I can't seem to find out if it will have the "disable UEFI" feature or not...
And this is going to be the big problem for everybody, and not only with motherboards.

"Build your own" is not an option if you only use laptops as I do.

I can just imagine the kind of response you will get from sales support lines when you ask "Does this machine's bios enable me to switch off Uefi secure boot?"

And even asking the question doesn't bypass the fact that they will tell you anything you want to hear just to sell to you.

Sure you can send it back, but the whole process of returning anything (particularly if you buy online) is made as difficult as possible just to discourage people from doing it.

The whole idea is a nightmare and the 'safeguards' which have supposedly been built in do nothing to change that.
karliet

Post by karliet »

tomast wrote:karliet,
May I ask which Mother Board you have ?
I was planning to get a new Gigabyte MB soon but I can't seem to find out if it will have the "disable UEFI" feature or not...
I am currently using the Intel DH67GD media series
tomast

Post by tomast »

Thanks karliet , I may end up getting an Intel MB if I can't get an answer from Gigabyte.

@ viking777,
You are so right. I have asked repeatedly on the Gigabyte forum about this but
the Silence is Deafening ! No response at all. :x No yes, no , maybe or anything at all...Nothing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tomast wrote:Thanks karliet , I may end up getting an Intel MB if I can't get an answer from Gigabyte.

@ viking777,
You are so right. I have asked repeatedly on the Gigabyte forum about this but
the Silence is Deafening ! No response at all. :x No yes, no , maybe or anything at all...Nothing.
Well, there goes my topic... Hijacked! :roll: What does any of this have to do with ARM 8)

As for Gigabyte, I see you want the GA-X79-UD7. In the specifications for that motherboard it says on their website "Support for Microsoft® Windows 7/Vista/XP". There is no mention of secure boot. As none of these Windows versions would be able to install on a UEFI BIOS that has secure boot locked down, I guess that in fact this motherboard doesn't have secure boot at all. But once Windows 8 comes around, it wouldn't surprise me if a UEFI BIOS update would add this feature to get certified. (But remember that Gigabyte's demographic is the enthusiast / tweaker crowd, and even though they focus on Windows gamers only, a lot of those won't be moving to Windows 8 yet...)

Back on topic of Linux + ARM and UEFI please...
tomast

Post by tomast »

Oops Sorry Vincent,
I guess I started reading in the middle of the discussion and skipped the beginning...
and apparently the TITLE too... :oops:
And I guess you are prob right , if it will run XP it should run Linux :D

Return to “Open Chat”