<SOLVED> A stable LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A stable LMDE?

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa, with Mint Debian and Mepis having great installers it is curious that Debian uses such an archaic installer. I have tried the Debian Live iso's, but it took awhile for me to track them down. I don't know why they don't have a main Debian page with easy access to such links. And there are some unfriendly (to put it nicely) folks on the Debian Forums, there are some also helpful folks, but others expect you to have a P.H.D. in Debian
KBD47
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

LifeInTheGrey, right now I'm installing the 201101 LMDE spin on my desktop computer using your info. If it works out well I will be leaving it on there for some time to come. I think Stable has two more years of support before it changes. Maybe by then Cinnamon will be in the repos and working great.
KBD47
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:MALsPa, with Mint Debian and Mepis having great installers it is curious that Debian uses such an archaic installer. I have tried the Debian Live iso's, but it took awhile for me to track them down. I don't know why they don't have a main Debian page with easy access to such links. And there are some unfriendly (to put it nicely) folks on the Debian Forums, there are some also helpful folks, but others expect you to have a P.H.D. in Debian
KBD47
Yeah, they seem to have something against making things easy, don't they?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:.............................. and it's amazing to have gnome 2.32 with compiz .............
YES. It is... :mrgreen:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

one night work :lol:
the all deal:
- compiz
- emerard
- the latest kernel (yeahh i know it's kinda of cheating in a stable system picking the 3.1 kernel, but it works 8) )
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

'zz'
A little moe than one night for me. :lol:

LMDE/Stable/Debian Backports
Compiz/Emerald
Nvidia 295/ Liquorix 3.2-1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hey Gene ^ 8) ^ looking very gOOd
i finally turned off the lappy (after almost 24 hrs of gnome2.32 bliss) :D it's really neat;

and LifeInTheGrey's howto works very well (now i can say that with experience);
  • just want to add here a few notes:
  • i disabled from the beginning the mint repo, and with this the available mintmenu v. (4.9.9) stop working after all the updates (easy fix, get the newer from packages.linuxmint and all'good)
  • i tried to install the backport kernel but somehow (was too late and i didn't dig the errors deep enough) was some unsolved deps, so i followed the howto (enabled the testing repos and pulled the newer kernel from there- 3.1 at this moment)
  • if you need to build some drivers against the new kernel (i'm thinking about nvidia- and in my situation broadcom) you probably will need to keep the testing repo enabled while you do it (i had to, otherwise broadcom wouldn't built against the testing kernel)
  • compiz depends on the graphics card you have, that laptop has intel, so the "job" it's easier :lol:
  • emerald: as this is a 32bit install stz*j post here was the best i could find
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

zerozero wrote:hey Gene ^ 8) ^ looking very gOOd
i finally turned off the lappy (after almost 24 hrs of gnome2.32 bliss) :D it's really neat;

and LifeInTheGrey's howto works very well (now i can say that with experience);
  • just want to add here a few notes:
  • i disabled from the beginning the mint repo, and with this the available mintmenu v. (4.9.9) stop working after all the updates (easy fix, get the newer from packages.linuxmint and all'good)
  • i tried to install the backport kernel but somehow (was too late and i didn't dig the errors deep enough) was some unsolved deps, so i followed the howto (enabled the testing repos and pulled the newer kernel from there- 3.1 at this moment)
  • if you need to build some drivers against the new kernel (i'm thinking about nvidia- and in my situation broadcom) you probably will need to keep the testing repo enabled while you do it (i had to, otherwise broadcom wouldn't built against the testing kernel)
  • compiz depends on the graphics card you have, that laptop has intel, so the "job" it's easier :lol:
  • emerald: as this is a 32bit install stz*j post here was the best i could find
@zerozero - thanks for pointing out the nVidia-specific installation, I know a lot of people have problems with installing nVidia proprietary drivers with Debian. I have included instructions about how to do properly install them in the tutorial (placed, as you mentioned, while the sources are modified to reflect testing). I too had problems installing the backported kernel (.38 or .39), hence my choice to upgrade the kernel via testing ... much more effective. I chose to leave out inclusion of emerald because thats a taste thing that others are welcome to pursue if they are so inclined, not necessarily an integral part of setting up the system.

Thanks for the points ... with so many people digging this setup, I want to refine it to make it as clear and straightforward as possible.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Probably showing my ignorance here, but how hard would it be to create a Mint Debian Stable iso using the instructions in this thread, with the newer kernel, proper repositories, LO, etc.? I think there are sites that would host such an iso for free. Is it possible to set up something like that which would work out of the box for newbies and others? I think there is an interest/need.
KBD47
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

KBD47 wrote:Probably showing my ignorance here, but how hard would it be to create a Mint Debian Stable iso using the instructions in this thread, with the newer kernel, proper repositories, LO, etc.? I think there are sites that would host such an iso for free. Is it possible to set up something like that which would work out of the box for newbies and others? I think there is an interest/need.
KBD47
Yeah, if a person where to fully set up an LMDS system, then use remastersys (available in the repo) to build a Live CD of the system (it would not include user information), then it would work. I can't do it anymore without major work, because I don't have a "spare" system anymore, and all of my systems are a ridiculous intricate custom XFCE Debian Testing build. That said, if someone was willing to do it, I think it'd be kickass.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I agree. It really wouldn't be "difficult", just time-consuming. At least there would be an LMDE iso that would be good for many, many months that would require only a couple dozen updates instead of the thousand-plus that the Testing version requires.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:
Yeah, if a person where to fully set up an LMDS system, then use remastersys (available in the repo) to build a Live CD of the system (it would not include user information), then it would work. I can't do it anymore without major work, because I don't have a "spare" system anymore, and all of my systems are a ridiculous intricate custom XFCE Debian Testing build. That said, if someone was willing to do it, I think it'd be kickass.
I wish I could do code and knew more about Linux, I would do it.
I set up my desktop computer using your instructions and everything went as it should, your instructions were great, but my desktop computer (around 7 years old) must need a video driver that comes with Ubuntu Natty and after, but not before. My video was messed up with Debian on that computer. My newer netbook does well on Debian and would likely work well with your set up.
I've noticed over the past 6 mos that I'm migrating more and more to Xfce. I like Gnome 2 and it is comfortable for me, but I'm getting just as comfortable with Xfce.
KBD47
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:I agree. It really wouldn't be "difficult", just time-consuming. At least there would be an LMDE iso that would be good for many, many months that would require only a couple dozen updates instead of the thousand-plus that the Testing version requires.
Yes, there is close to a thousand updates waiting for those of us using Mint Debian pointing at Latest. I will almost be afraid to run all those updates when they finally arrive in Latest. I think many of us would be happy with a Mint Debian based on Stable but with some newer software and an updated kernel. That and backports would satisfy many users IMO.
KBD47
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

LifeInTheGrey wrote: @zerozero - thanks for pointing out the nVidia-specific installation, I know a lot of people have problems with installing nVidia proprietary drivers with Debian. I have included instructions about how to do properly install them in the tutorial (placed, as you mentioned, while the sources are modified to reflect testing). I too had problems installing the backported kernel (.38 or .39), hence my choice to upgrade the kernel via testing ... much more effective. I chose to leave out inclusion of emerald because thats a taste thing that others are welcome to pursue if they are so inclined, not necessarily an integral part of setting up the system.

Thanks for the points ... with so many people digging this setup, I want to refine it to make it as clear and straightforward as possible.
Thank you for that howto, really comprehensive 8)
i agree with your point about emerald (actually it's the first time i'm using it, but since i'm remembering gnome2 i want everything :lol: )

one of the questions about making a remaster of such a system is trust, a few days ago somebody wrote this here in the forum
LifeInTheGrey's tutorial looks like it be of use, although it links to ISO files at megaupload, and installing an OS from a more or less unknown origin doesn't feel like a good idea.
it is a problem for many
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

screenshot 3 .png
screenshot 2 .jpg
screenshot 1 .jpg
KBD47 wrote:
LifeInTheGrey wrote:
I wish I could do code and knew more about Linux, I would do it.

KBD47
Please don't look askance at noobie-me for sticking another 2-cent in here.. I know I'm way out of my league where the thread is at, now. But, still, what do you think about this link? http://lifehacker.com/5370209/use-suse- ... om-scratch.

And then there's the openSUSE Build Service. See screenshots1 & 2.

At the Ohio Linux Fest last summer, I received, gratis, an installable Gnome 3 Live DVD System that the Gnome Project made, apparently, at the openSUSE Build Service. And although I don't really know, Jan Hoffman's Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome Shell Remix, http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introduc ... 8425.shtml, looks rather familiar.

And just a cursory look-see at http://susestudio.com/appliance/create_new, will, without any ado bring you face up with (screenshot 3).

A project like that is too far out of my league, but it sounds like one of you folks are ready to rock.

Cheers
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

zerozero wrote:one of the questions about making a remaster of such a system is trust, a few days ago somebody wrote this here in the forum
LifeInTheGrey's tutorial looks like it be of use, although it links to ISO files at megaupload, and installing an OS from a more or less unknown origin doesn't feel like a good idea.
it is a problem for many
Just wanted to point out ... what this person (not you zerozero, the person you quoted) failed to realize (and I tried to point it out with the first sentence, but apparently it was unclear in the tutorial, so my bad) was that the ISOs I provided there were actually just the old LMDE ISOs that were no longer easily available through one of the download sources (yes, I know they still were, but for the n00bs it wasn't so easy). I just put them up on Megaupload for download, and now I'm just directly linking to Yellow Fiber networks, imo the most consistent download source. If I had made custom ISOs, it wouldn't need all that extra work! :P

Your point does apply to someone creating an ISO through remastersys or something ... however I just felt the need to clear that up, since I didn't take the opportunity when that individual made that original comment.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

Hello, all,

As far as I can tell, iso images are no longer available at - http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/linuxmint ... -amd64.iso. So I'm trying to use what I have: a 32 bit LMDE dvd that I burned last March, to follow LifeInTheGrey's LMDE Squeeze Setup (Complete) http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497

And just like at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=90141, this attempt is sticking in a changelog in the terminal, update manager won't do it because of "broken packages," and synaptic package manager says it has fixed the dependency issues, but update manager says it isn't so.

This is just an update on where I'm at, presently. I'll be looking for around for 201012 and 201101 ISOs.

Cheers
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

I got one downloading now, as I'm typing.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=75
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Pythzor wrote:Hello, all,

As far as I can tell, iso images are no longer available at - http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/linuxmint ... -amd64.iso. So I'm trying to use what I have: a 32 bit LMDE dvd that I burned last March, to follow LifeInTheGrey's LMDE Squeeze Setup (Complete) http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497

And just like at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=90141, this attempt is sticking in a changelog in the terminal, update manager won't do it because of "broken packages," and synaptic package manager says it has fixed the dependency issues, but update manager says it isn't so.

This is just an update on where I'm at, presently. I'll be looking for around for 201012 and 201101 ISOs.

Cheers
I'm not sure what you mean ... I just clicked on the link you put in this post, and it started downloading. I'll see if I can find more and I'll put other links in the tutorial, but that one works just fine.

Edit: I've added two additional download sources in the tutorial for both i386 and amd64. I tested them here, all initiated a download, so there should be PLENTY of options now. :D
twa

Post by twa »

Return to “LMDE Archive”