Gnome 3 Shell dead on login

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Gnome 3 Shell dead on login

Post by NeoMint »

This is using a clean install LM12, and the Nvidia "Recommended" additional driver; on a 7200GS:

o Symptom: We only see the background, bar, and the mouse pointer moves, but does nothing else. Clicking does nothing("Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" returns us to login).

We have Mate(love), Unity(hate)/Compiz, and Lubuntu/LXDE (great), and E17 installed, and working.

The app that sets the shell extensions always shows blank, now. We're not sure if that's because we can't run the shell. Maybe it's supposed to be blank, in classic.

o Tried: We thought it was the Nvidia hardware drivers, and we're not sure if the driver change, is what started the problem. Removing them does not change the problem. Our other computer, and Gnome shell works with the "recommended" Nvidia driver (a very similar Nvidia card). Unity's Compiz (ironically) works, with these Nvidia cards, and "recommended" additional driver. So, we don't think it's Nvidia, this time. Maybe its the alternative composting. Cinnamon had the same lock-up.

dpkg-reconfigure didn't work.

We tried removing all the extensions manually. It didn't work.

We're upgraded currently.

Gnome "Classic" works. We've looked and searched and tried reconfiguring, in several ways. We don't know what's going on; please help.

Note: My other computer; with a 6800GT (and Nivida "recommended") works with Gnome Shell.

o Goal: We need a solution, and recovery steps for this type of lock-up, in Gnome Shell specifically. Clean installing again, would likely be subject to the same problem.

Our best guess is that particular "MENU" extension, shows its "Menu", in the top bar; where the original text was. Perhaps it's still partly set to a missing, or bad extension. How would we manually reset that? Where are the configuration files, relevant to this?

What is the problem, exactly? We can't even clearly define the issue(just the symptom); which is job #1.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Gnome 3 Shell dead on login

Post by viking777 »

It is a good post, but this is what we/I get out of it:
We clean installed Mint 12. Gnome shell was working.
But the rest of your post says it isn't working. So if it was working and now it isn't then something you have done has stopped it from working, so you need to work out what that was. Incidentally this also conflicts with your later conclusion:
Clean installing again, would likely be subject to the same problem.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Trying to purge, and reinstall likely components did not fix. Can someone tell me where the extension configs are stored?

Switching to console, and...

export DISPLAY=:0.0
gnome-shell --replace

...and switching back...

Did not fix, and yielded the

Clutter warning
JS Error
failed to create OpenGL Framebuffer.

Unfortunately, "gnome-shell --reset" is not implemented.
Last edited by NeoMint on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Technically, I only saw Gnome-shell working before I installed the Nvidia drivers (part of my clean install and build-up.) , and I knew that, thank you. Plus, I already spoke to removing Nvidia, and that, did not fix it. I already said, I don't think it's the obvious, and I said why. I have all but said, it was my the extensions, which we all know are buggy as heck, right now. How is reinstalling, a saner option than reseting Gnome-shell? Clean installing, and not using Nvidia is a major fail. I'm normally right there with ya, for clean installing. It is of course, the fall back. However, I believe we need a reset solution, and this will solve a wide spread problem on SOME computers. I already said, my other computer does not have this problem. I didn't do anything, but try extensions. I did the same extensions on my other computer, but maybe it was in the wrong order, or something. That is a know issue. it's obvious there some difference, and I'd like to know what it is, so we can all get past this problem, with a fast solution, other than clean installing. You know, clean installing is far better, with open software, but it's still a pain, and the problem would not be identified.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You also said that you removed all the extensions and it made no difference, but you still insist that extensions are the problem. I just don't get that.

However in case you have any traces of extensions left they live in:

~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ or /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/

Personally I think nvidia is much more the likely cause and I would reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms then reboot. (or if you use sgfxi then got into vt1 and run that).
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Then why is gnome-shell classic (with effects) working?

There is no nvidia-kernel-dkms to choose from, and I reinstalled the additional drivers several times. That's actually a problem, as folks will likely try the other additional drivers, and they do not work as well, as the current, recommended one (for most folks).

Thanks for the folder locals. I did remove all extensions, and that did not fix.

I'm still seeing the "Menu" extension. At the left, on the top bar; which is what leads me to think (Plus "menu" in error messages.), that the menu (add-on extension) is involved. Why didn't it reset, when I removed extensions?

I also tried removing dconf folder and letting it re-spawn, but no fix.

Last night, I reinstalled the "menu" extension, in hopes of being able to better get working, and remove it, but it still hangs, the same.

There's got to be a way to reset this monstrosity, specifically.

If nothing else, why can't we remove gnome-shell, and reinstall it. What's going on?

You'll have to take my word, that I'm fairly proficient, and didn't do much, but try gnome-shell extensions. Again, I'm not only looking to fix this, just for me. I want to know..

#1 What's the cause?

#2 Can we provide a solution for the masses; that's faster than clean installing?

I don't want to expand much on a tangent, but we're losing folks quickly by this, and that stops here, if I have anything to do with it.
Last edited by NeoMint on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The "menu" extension?

Well at least that is something to go on. Trouble is there are probably half a dozen menu extensions out there, so which one is it and where did you get it from?

Is this it?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... ions-menu/
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

I want that one("Applications"). I tried that one (it is employed on my other computer). Yet no, the other "menu", I didn't like. Now that ("menu") will not go away, and it hangs.

The only thing I can figure that's different, is the order tried, and final choice of extensions, and I did my other computer first, trying more on that first. I was trying to set this one up, with my extensions here. [note: The problem could have come by new upgrades].

I did follow forum PPA's for various extensions, and that was the likely culprit. I've tried removing those PPA's, but no fix.

Again, why can't we reinstall the whole of gnome-shell?

The best solution would be a command to reset this hanging extension. Probability here, is high.

Second best would be a working purge, and reinstall technique for gnome-shell, and relevant parts. Why is that not working now? What else can I delete?

What is the JS error? However, this is looking strongly like that "menu" extension(AKA bugs!), not undoing, or correcting, or resetting, or even allowing a complete shell reinstall.
Last edited by NeoMint on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I just tried installing it myself and it wouldn't install for me - says "this extension has an error" on the extensions page, so it does look as if this may be your problem, the extension is obviously not compatible with Mint 12.

I can't think how else you can remove it apart from what you have tried already.

Maybe if you contacted the extensions writer he may be able to give you an alternative way to get rid of it?
why can't we reinstall the whole of gnome-shell?
You can.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-shell
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

That will help, thanks; because I finally got rid of the "menu" extension, by deleting it from /usr/share... again(I'm sure), but the system still hangs with a different error.

Note: I have discovered, I can do Ctrl-Alt-T for an invisible terminal, and type (blind)...

gnome-shell --replace

...and it will try to reload, and give me a error list, that's now seen in the terminal. Perhaps we should enlarge the term (blind) first, too.

It's now giving a "folks" error, and "telpathy-AccountManager" or something like that.

Therefore. I'm guessing I can now reinstall......

Add:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-shell

...didn't work. Maybe, I got hold of the "menu" one; when it had a major conflict, or something.

All relevant packages are reinstalled.

Add:

I purged all shell-extensions, and the mgse gnome shell extensions, and it still doesn't work. Going to try reinstalling just the mgse ones now.

mint-meta-mgse and gnome

Purged just the mgse "menu" one again, and now it says activities, instead of Menu again, but still hangs.

Based on errors, I tried reinstalling "acccountservice" related files, still hangs.

Add: ...

http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316

...suggests it's also the media player extension.

http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/889706

...shows many other people are having these problems.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=86755
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p516810
Last edited by NeoMint on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Hey, what is the text file; where the ON/OFF status of the extensions are stored?

To be clear, the ON/OFF settings are made to be blank, in Gnome Classic. Nothing shows; even on my other working computer. Plus, I can not run the gnome-tweak-tool, at all, in gnome 3's shell, with this issue.

Could the problem be a need to reinstall certain extensions, switch these back-off, and then remove them?

Are those ON/OFF switch conditions stored inside the extension files themselves?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

http://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/889706

...shows many other people are having these problems.
:shock: I see what you mean, that is quite a list you found there.

From my point of view gnome-shell works perfectly on Mint 12 (although Cinnamon doesn't) so it is difficult for me to see the problem, but I would think the source you found there is the best place to get information at the moment. For example did you try out the method given in response #9 in that thread?

As to where the On/OFF conditions are stored, I simply don't know, the only way I can switch the extensions on or off is with tweak-tool.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

I managed a way to run the gnome-tweak-tool, in the largely unresponsive (from the start of it) gnome shell. It was extremely tricky.

Note: If you can't tell, by the pointer; that the invisible Terminal is loaded, restart the session.

1. Blindly, I did a Ctrl-Alt-T (terminal), and blindly typed....
gnome-tweak-tool

2. Then, I had to find the invisible top edge, ( the I like symbol ) and simply move that (taken) invisible Terminal window, to a lower part of the screen.

3. In another terminal, blindly issue...
gnome-shell --replace

...and you can see the gnome-tweak-tool ! (and the errors). The program works, during this, but the environment still does not.

I switched everything off, and checked the themes, that were also at default, restarted, and still no worky.

I removed the nvidia additional driver (again), rebooted, and still no worky. Trying another (again)
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

Finally got the error screen by issuing

metacity --replace

...(to see)enlarging another terminal, and then running (goes blind here)...

gnome-shell --replace

...and...

metacity --replace

...(to see) again (I used Ctlr-C to stop the other metacity, and Up Arrow, Enter), to get this cut and pasted here.
metacity to the rescue!

gnome-shell --replace
      JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Thu Jan 26 2012 18:09:50 GMT-0500 (EST)
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Error invoking TelepathyGLib.prepare_finish: The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any .service files
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Error invoking TelepathyGLib.prepare_finish: The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any .service files")@gjs_throw:0
([object _private_TelepathyGLib_AccountManager],[object _private_Gio_SimpleAsyncResult])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/telepathyClient.js:371
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Error invoking TelepathyGLib.prepare_finish: The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any .service files"'

(gnome-shell:2955): folks-WARNING **: Error preparing Backend 'telepathy': The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not provided by any .service files
gnome-shell-calendar-server[2971]: Got HUP on stdin - exiting
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You deserve some congratulation for getting as far as you have!!

I wish I could look at that error message and say " Ah yes, I know what it is". Sadly I can't.

As it seems to have something to do with telepathy (which is something I don't have installed) I suggest you try and remove the offending file which is mentioned in the error message - /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/telepathyClient.js:371. I guess you may need to use metacity window manager to be able to see the files at all, then use a root file manager (gksu nautilus) to remove the file but make a backup copy of /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui first in case it makes things worse!

If that doesn't work open a terminal and run

locate telepathy
To see if it has any other files lurking about that might be interfering with gnome-shell and remove those as well.

That is not very scientific, but the best I can come up with.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

I installed that and the that error went away, but the desktop is still DOA.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

I consider gnome3 shell, a serious bug. One that took away from the open software experience, as a whole. Lightdm even gave out on me, and I having to use KDM to get to my Mate desktop. I only left the stability of the Debian Stable (Gnome 2 still intact!) + select back-port (and exoodle, and smxi scripts, for ease of build up), and with added Plymouth (which behave a little better on shutdown) just to see all the new stuff, such as gnome 3 shell, unity 3D, 2D, Cinnamon, and the only sane thing now, Mate. While Mate is not without it's renaming issues, it makes the others look bad, even though it's technically a new fork. You know what? That's sad.

Way to F' it up Canoical, Unity, and Gnome 3 team. How much kickback, and under the table payola, did Microsoft through your way? Hmmm?

Thank you Mint and Clem, for trying.
Last edited by NeoMint on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoMint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NeoMint »

UPDATE:

The point is, how many people are we losing, to these bugs? There is no sane, default entry point (distro), for new users. How many run back to Windows?

In my going back to Debian Stable (since I want maximum stability, on my main production system, and with the fine, select back-ports, that worked well for me), and thinking the live version was the way to go, I updated (mistake) to the newest Deb Live version (Gnome, 64 bit). It failed (where the previous version worked), as a USB (Multisystem boot) install. It would not load the installer, as (after) live, and the independent (on boot) installer, dropped the ball; at Grub install (it asked for CD, though I used USB). It had no forward path. I was going to try a change root, from a live boot, and install GRUB manually, but decided the Linux Mint 12 installer works (much better) so I've installed (and updated) this again, as a test for this thread.... Note: I imagine, a regular (non-live) Debian Gnome Stable, independent install disk 1, would be the current best way for Debian, USB, or CD, if needed. It's sad, that the Debian Live path, will also through people back, to Windows. I thought Deb Live, was the way to install, but not if quality control is this wanting. Use the standard, installer only disk, for Debian stable (Gnome) iso/hybrid, for your arch (64 bit?).

LM12 Results: Guess what happened; as soon as I installed the recommended Nvidia driver? The same lock-up, after login. Mate works. This is a fresh install, now, and gnome-shell does not work, with Nvidia recommended.

Quality control, really is the issue, isn't it? Choice is great, when there are sane ones.

Return to “Software & Applications”