I don't know what I'm doing. (Linux n00b)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Giant Speck

I don't know what I'm doing. (Linux n00b)

Post by Giant Speck »

Okay... I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Microsoft Vista Home Premium installed on it, and I wanted to try Linux for the first time. I downloaded the torrent for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna Main Edition and I burned the ISO to a CD.

Then I rebooted and booted from the CD.

I have tried the following ways to install it, and nothing works:
- Start Linux Mint
- Start Linux Mint in safe graphics mode
- I tried pressing F6 and entering "noapic," "nolapic," "noacpi," and "acpi=off" (I found that on the Linux Mint wiki. Didn't know what it was or what it was for)

I am extremely new to this and don't know what I am doing [wrong].

Basically, I want it to install, but I don't want to lose the Vista that's already on my computer.
Am I supposed to repartition my hard drive BEFORE I attempt installing Linux Mint, or does it do it itself?
And if I do have to repartition first, how do I do that? (I'm sort of an all-around computer n00b, I guess. :P )

I appreciate any swift help, as I really want to try Linux.

Thank you,
Jesse
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
molom

Re: I don't know what I'm doing. (Linux n00b)

Post by molom »

Giant Speck wrote:Okay... I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Microsoft Vista Home Premium installed on it, and I wanted to try Linux for the first time. I downloaded the torrent for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna Main Edition and I burned the ISO to a CD.

Then I rebooted and booted from the CD.

I have tried the following ways to install it, and nothing works:
- Start Linux Mint
- Start Linux Mint in safe graphics mode
- I tried pressing F6 and entering "noapic," "nolapic," "noacpi," and "acpi=off" (I found that on the Linux Mint wiki. Didn't know what it was or what it was for)

I am extremely new to this and don't know what I am doing [wrong].

Basically, I want it to install, but I don't want to lose the Vista that's already on my computer.
Am I supposed to repartition my hard drive BEFORE I attempt installing Linux Mint, or does it do it itself?
And if I do have to repartition first, how do I do that? (I'm sort of an all-around computer n00b, I guess. :P )

I appreciate any swift help, as I really want to try Linux.

Thank you,
Jesse
Ok, be careful when you partition becuase you could erase Windows on your laptop. Here are the instructions.
1. Boot from the CD
2. Select 'Start or install'
3. When it has finally booted, on the desktop there is an icon called 'install' select it.
4. Partition with the installer and install (Do not muck the partitioning bit, be sure of what partition you install Mint after partitioning)
5. Then follow the easy instructions.

Thats about it!

Cheers,
molom
giant-speck

Post by giant-speck »

My only problem with that is that it freezes or doesn't load on the boot screen, and I never make it to where I can start installing.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

To answer your dual boot questions, you can just use Guided installation, that will keep your Windows installation, and you use a slider to select the % of disk to use.
As for the booting questions, I am not sure. It locks in the splash screen? There is some way to deactivate it, so you get a text only boot mode, then you can see where it looks, but I am afraid I have forgotten how to do this.
Also, on a side note, I also had some troubles installing with Vista installed, removing Shitsa solved it though.. Windows generally gives weird errors when combined with linux, I also had troubles booting Win XP install cd with ubuntu installed, and I got the distinct impression that XP runs slower on a dual boot system...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Installation & Boot”