A Linux Mint DVD to include Beryl, RecordMyDesktop, K3B, etc

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

A Linux Mint DVD to include Beryl, RecordMyDesktop, K3B, etc

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

Ilove Linux Mint. In fact over @ the SuSE, Ubuntu, and amongst my Linux user friends I have started to recommend Linux Mint. In fact I have just added Linux Mint as my OS of choice to my Site. Cool!

How about a DVD version in the future to include more apps?

Adler
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Definitely!

It's not a priority but it's definitely something we'd like to do.

Clem
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Clem,

Thanks for that. I do understand the Server Load associated with a DVD version.

Adler

PS I do love this Distro -- especially what shows up in Terminal. Cool! Nice Touch.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well, I'm waiting on Bianca to get to its stable release but after that I'm going to look at a KDE version, and I was really thinking of leaving the Gnome base, adding KDE and extra stuff, and have the whole thing as a DVD release.

Clem
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

A KDE version of mint would be awesome!

I'd suggest making a separate iso like the base gnome one but just with kde and kde only apps where possible like digikam and k3b - I really miss those. I know I can install them in Bea or Bianca but a total kde version would be great.
bernado

Post by bernado »

Well, I am using Linux Mint with Gnome Desktop and several (actually lots) of KDE Apps. But this doens´t work well. My CPU is an ADM 1800, 1 RAM (256 MB), so when LinuxMint has been started, KDE application take ages to start up. For Amarok it is about 10 seconds until you hear the application working. I mean after 10 seconds the program beginns to start, so at least after 15-20 seconds its ready to use. But the more KDE apps I use, the slower becomes the whole system.
And talking about application. What is the default gnome music player or burning program or office program? Well there is no one !!
If you insert a CD and want to convert it in mp3 with Serpentine - no chance, it doesnt work out of the box although the required programs (lame, etc) are installed!! Lots of programs I could complain about - but...... - Gnome is nice , it has become a really good looking Desktop by LinuxMint and Ubuntu but when it comes to the question "a good and comfortable easy to use Desktop Environment" the best choice is KDE.
I am keen on a LinuxMint Bianca KDE Version with its own Mint icon style in the future.

Bernado
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

I started with KDE and SuSE 9.0 through 10.1, 10.2. Then I switched to Ubuntu and GNOME. GNOME is the Desktop that I prefer. I could never manage to have both, especially trying to run Beryl. There are KDE apps that I run, but I just get them either through Synaptic or Terminal.

There have been thousands of posts about which Desktop is better, or less cpu / ram intensive, but I prefer GNOME.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
bernado

Post by bernado »

the KDE/Gnome debate is endless.
Yes and I dont want to start a new and sensless one.
I just wanted to point out that everything is ready to use on a KDE desktop: Amarok, K3B, and If you install Koffice, you get a complete office-suite. But I have to commit that I feel confused sometimes about the programs I should use for a certain applications - KDE Developers are going to reduce the multiple functions of certain programs for the next version of Kubuntu I have learned, so that you can burn and rip CD´s with K3B for instance.
Exaile is a good alternative to Amarok and once again I like the clear Ubuntu/Mint Gnome Style (GTK) and I am still using it.
BTW have a look at removed/ for new versions of programs

Bernado
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Well I'm afraid the "regular" releases will stay with Gnome (as far as I know), though KDE versions will be released afterwards... Now if you upgrade without reinstalling that should keep KDE intact...
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”