Linux Mint 11 Katya Not Genuine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
everready

Linux Mint 11 Katya Not Genuine

Post by everready »

After using Linux Mint 11 Katya for 2 weeks i receive a notice that a problem exists, I'm asked if i want to report it my answer is yes, after an attempt to report it I'm informed the report can't be delivered because my copy isn't genuine? Why do you suppose after 2 weeks time I'm just now being informed, everything is working properly that's why I'm confused :?:

Thanks guys..
everready
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 11 Katya Not Genuine

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

:)
everready

Post by everready »

I downloaded it from this site, it should be genuine shouldn't it? Is there someone here that might know why I'm getting that message..

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php

Thanks guys..
everready
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

Kindly post the exact steps to reproduce your problem and exact wording of the "non-genuine" message... :D
everready

Post by everready »

In order to do that I'll have to wait until it happens again, that was a one time event, and that after 2 weeks. The only thing i can figure out, it must have been a hicup :?

Thanks for your reply
everready
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

everready wrote:In order to do that I'll have to wait until it happens again, that was a one time event, and that after 2 weeks. The only thing i can figure out, it must have been a hicup
Well what were you doing when it did happen? Running a program? Surfing the web? There are two things I can think of at the moment:

(1) A Windows program running in WINE. If this is the case, then it's a Windows-side issue. Nothing to do with Mint at all (or Linux for that matter).

(2) It is possible that some malware site is trying to dupe you by displaying a fake "error box." This is a technique employed by certain malware sites to trick unsuspecting users that their computer "may be infected with a virus" and tries to lure the would-be victim into downloading and running a "scanning/cleaning utility" to get rid of the "problem." Even though what you described in your initial post wasn't exactly the same, in principle it is reminiscent to what malware sites do. Besides, the way it was presented to you indicates a Windows-centric behavior (submit error report, not genuine message).

I'm inclined to say that you encountered #2. If you encounter it again in the future, pay attention to the error box itself. Do the buttons, text font, size, et. al. look the same as compared to what you usually see when you use other Linux applications? Do the buttons appear "pressed down" when you click-hold your mouse over them? Were you surfing the net when it popped up? Also, doing a screenshot also helps.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Linux Mint does not have genuine or not genuine copies. Everyone is free to modify Mint. This way we don't check if your copy is genuine.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
everready

Post by everready »

First i want to thank all of you for your replies, that's right! there are no genuine copies they are all the same, Malware does try and trick us, I had some experience working with a Malware removal team, the bad guys don't play fair. Your right, i should have written it down to begin with.. Duh!! :lol:

Thanks guys for being so attentive.. :D
everready
everready

Post by everready »

After a wee while i began to think.. :idea: Maybe that was a warning from an on board application, a "security application" then i came across an article on "AppArmor" this app is loaded by default on some versions of Ubuntu, well here you can check it out.. it could have been that after toying around with a download this is what happened, just a thought.. :D

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor

I'm green when it comes to this new OS Linux Mint 11 Katya, been a Windows user from jump..

Return to “Beginner Questions”