Gdebi mis-identifies architecture

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Gdebi mis-identifies architecture

Post by Pythzor »

Hello, I'm running LMDE 201012 Gnome 64-bit (Squeeze+Backports). Here is a recurring problem. When I try to install a 64 bit package, I get a message (in terminal or gdebi package manager) saying that the package cannot be installed because it's for the wrong architecture. But I am running a 64 bit os and on a 64 bit computer.
Package Installer - google-earth-stable_001.png

I ran into the same problem when using LifeInTheGrey's LMDE Squeeze Setup (Complete) http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497 and attempting to install linux-headers-amd64 for 64-bit machines and linux-image-amd64 for 64-bit machines. I ended up installing the 32 bit versions. While it's my understanding that 32 bit versions will do, I'd rather match packages with my architecture.

I checked the release notes for LMDE 201012 Gnome 64-bit and see no mention of this. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Gdebi mis-identifies architecture

Post by doktornotor »

Google Earth is 32bit only. Adding the following:

Code: Select all

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable main
to your sources.list will let you install it together with ia32-libs. If you get apt ranting about package cannot be authenticated, then run

sudo su - ; wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Just saying that the version in the repo (even Google's) is outdated (that's probably why the OP was installing from the deb).
But I can't say much about the issue as I use a 32-bit system.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

Google Earth is 32bit only. /quote]
GoogleEarth.png
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

More of the same. What should I do here, to stop that? Everyone's consideration is appreciated. Thanks.
VboxError.png
System Monitor_006.png
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

We already got it that you have 64bit Linux. Once again, Google Earth is 32bit only. Their so-called "amd64" package depends on ia32-lib emulation libs.

Already told you above to add it to sources.list and install via apt.
Alternatively, use dpkg. Like;

sudo dpkg -i NameOfPackage.deb
No idea what are your doing with your gdebi, you should reinstall and/or update it as it appears heavily broken. No problem with the "64bit" Google Earth package with gdebi 0.8.4. No idea where you downloaded virtualbox from either so I cannot check the package - but once again, it is normally in distro, why are you downloading it manually?

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox
virtualbox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.1.8-dfsg-1
  Version table:
     4.1.8-dfsg-1 0
        600 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        600 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
     4.1.0-dfsg-2 0
        600 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main amd64 Packages
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

and after you run
sudo dpkg -i google-earth...etc.deb
if some dependency isn't satisfied, just run
sudo apt-get -f install
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

64 bit LMDE on a 64 bit computer won't install 64 bit packag

Post by Pythzor »

doktornotor wrote:We already got it that you have 64bit Linux. Once again, Google Earth is 32bit only. Their so-called "amd64" package depends on ia32-lib emulation libs.

sudo dpkg -i NameOfPackage.deb
No idea what are your doing with your gdebi, you should reinstall and/or update it as it appears heavily broken. No problem with the "64bit" Google Earth package with gdebi 0.8.4. No idea where you downloaded virtualbox from either so I cannot check the package - but once again, it is normally in distro, why are you downloading it manually?[/code]

Please accept my apologies; I guess I've not been clear about what my problem is.
Pythzor wrote:Hello, I'm running LMDE 201012 Gnome 64-bit (Squeeze+Backports). Here is a recurring problem. When I try to install a 64 bit package, I get a message (in terminal or gdebi package manager) saying that the package cannot be installed because it's for the wrong architecture. But I am running a 64 bit os and on a 64 bit computer.
The problem is that my 64 bit LMDE on a 64 bit computer won't install 64 bit packages.

I mention Google Earth, Virtualbox, and the Linux Headers and Linux Image only as examples intended to impart more information. All of those packages are in the repositories – getting the packages isn't the problem.

I've been trying to install packages manually to get practice doing it that way. As long as I've been with Linux, I would think that I would know how to install tar balls – but I don't. It's one of those things that I just have a lot of trouble grasping. There's been times when I've tried and maybe got lucky and did it more or less by accident. But, essentially, I'm still learning how to do that. (I'll start a new threat for that).

One solution that's been traditionally more my style, would be to simply reinstall the current 201109 LMDE. But, instead, I think that it would behoove me in the long term to be patient and learn to fix the LMDE that I have.

In LMDE Squeeze Setup (Complete), for example, LifeInTheGrey has it where you go to http://www.libreoffice.org/download/  to get LibreOffice and then install the tar ball – even though LibreOffice is in synaptic and probably in software manager, too. Well, I thought it was a good opportunity to learn how to do that since I was following a tutorial and all I had to do is follow along.

As you've noted:
doktornotor wrote: No idea what are your doing with your gdebi, you should reinstall and/or update it as it appears heavily broken. [/code]
That's a problem; getting the packages that I tried to install with it was not a problem. Software manager doesn't work either, btw. When I got to "5. Install new kernel" in LMDE Squeeze Setup (Complete), when I clicked on "search" in the terminal, it didn't work. So I went to synaptic to get the image and headers, but synaptic wouldn't install the 64 bit packages, either. (More information).

Overall, I do appreciate the time and effort that you've given me to help me. You and Linux Mint Forums in general. I appear to be a fairly intelligent person in many other areas, just dumb when it comes to Linux. Please continue to be patient with me. I have faith that I'll get better at this (God willing that I don't die first).

Thank you.

Cheers
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 64 bit LMDE on a 64 bit computer won't install 64 bit pa

Post by doktornotor »

Pythzor wrote: I mention Google Earth, Virtualbox, and the Linux Headers and Linux Image only as examples intended to impart more information. All of those packages are in the repositories – getting the packages isn't the problem.
The problem is that the packages you mention are just confusing the matter. Google Earth is not any proper amd64 package, I still do not know where did you get the Virtualbox install from, and now that you mentioned

to get LibreOffice and then install the tar ball
looking at the screenshot, it says LibO_3.3.4_Linux_x86 - I fail to see how that is a proper amd64 package? :?: :!: :?
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

doktornotor wrote: The problem is that the packages you mention are just confusing the matter. Google Earth is not any proper amd64 package, I still do not know where did you get the Virtualbox install from,. . . looking at the screenshot, it says LibO_3.3.4_Linux_x86 - I fail to see how that is a proper amd64 package? :?: :!: :?
I apologize. I didn't mean to be confusing. I'll be more diligent in the future to be more clear when I write. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I got VirtualBox from: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.
Selection_008.png
I went to the same website and got 64 bit packages for Ubuntu 11.10 and instsalled them without a hitch.

As for LibreOffice, here's a better screenshot – this one without the screenshot dialogue box obscuring what you're alluding to:
Selection_007.png
I'm so sorry that I'm so dumb sometimes, please continue to bear with me. Believe me, if it were up to me, I'd be a guru. At any rate, I appreciate all of your help. Thank you very much.

Return to “LMDE Archive”