how too instll theme in cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cudayne

how too instll theme in cinnamon?

Post by cudayne »

sorry if this seems silly but i cant figure out how too do it. I setup the cinnamon desktop on my sons computer we seen the space theme he really liked it but for the life of me i cant figure out how too install it at all. i know too right click on teh desktop choose change desktop background an under the pictures of the various backgrounds there is the word themes but no way too select the. thanks for any help on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: how too instll theme in cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

You need to extract the downloaded theme file to the hidden folder .themes in your son's home folder. To do this:
1. Log in with the account your son is using
2. Double-click the downloaded theme file, to open it with the Archive Manager
3. Click the Extract button in the toolbar
4. On the left hand side click on the username of your son's account, the one with the little black house icon in front of it
5. Now press Ctrl+H key combination to show hidden folders
6. Double-click the ".themes" folder
7. Click the Extract button (bottom right)

You can now close the archive manager and any other open windows.

Now open the Cinnamon Settings (from the menu, or the little icon with cogwheels to the right of the menu button), and you can select the new theme there :mrgreen:
cudayne

Re: how too instll theme in cinnamon?(solved)

Post by cudayne »

thank you very much I have changed the backgrounds but never a theme before. Ok ran into a broblem i cant find teh .theme folder anywhere even after using cntrol+H so i extracted the file into the downloads folder oppened teh file manager an set it too show hidden an still cant find it. any help on where this elusive file is?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Erm, you did install Cinnamon, right? The .themes folder should be there already.

You will have to open Terminal now, and run the following commands:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.themes
nautilus ~/.themes
Now you have a file browser open on the .themes folder. In another file browser open the downloaded theme file, and just click and drag the folder inside of that file into the file browser window open on the .themes folder.
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

i did install cinnamon into my mint 12 kde so may have something to do with it. I did the sudo aptinstall cinnamon in terminal.
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

ok sorry for being suck a rock here did exactly like you said made the theme folder which is under the /home copied the 3 files that were extracted in the download file but when i right click on the desktop an in teh drop down box for themes just the three default ones are shown.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Now I don't want to get too suspicious, but are you actually logged in to Cinnamon then? Because from this side of the internet, I'm getting lost :wink: Does the menu look like shown in the title graphic here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

I'm wondering why install Linux Mint 12 KDE, if you want to run Cinnamon. Wouldn't Linux Mint 12 main edition be easier?

Installation with "sudo apt-get install cinnamon" would do the trick on Linux Mint 12 main edition, I'm not sure that also works for KDE. Of course in either case you need to log in to Cinnamon to get to use it (use the gearwheel icon at the login screen).
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

thats probly what it is then ill just install linux mint main on his computer tomorrow
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

cudayne wrote:thats probly what it is then ill just install linux mint main on his computer tomorrow
that would be your best bet...when you install mint 12 main edition, after doing the updates, then refresh package manager and type Cinnamon and you should see the application to install..once installed, log out and log back in (using the little cog wheel on the log in page) to select Cinnamon Session...

Once you get going with Cinnamon, their instructions are correct...except you may not have a .themes folder after checking by hitting control and h key...
so you will need to create it...by making a new folder and name it: .themes that is what you will use to extract the downloaded themes to...

I found i did need have the .themes, so i simply made it :wink: so, if don't see it in hidden folders, that is what you should do...

My friend Robin on the forums here gave me these great instructions for installing themes...so read this (it is VERY CLEAR and easy to follow) :)

Read my next post (i copied it here for you) Robin didn't have a .themes folder either :lol:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I did not have the .themes folder [which is a hidden folder by the way] so I had to create one in my home folder. What you need to do is click on your home folder and if there is no .themes, just right click and create one. Be sure the . [dot] is there before you type themes and click enter so that the folder appears. Now, click on the download to download whatever theme you want and double click on that after it is downloaded. Another box will appear with the contents of that folder and all you do is highlight the file inside and click on "extract" just above it. It is going to ask you where you want the file extracted and you will go to your home directory. If the .themes doesn't appear at first, hit ctrl + h and all hidden files will appear. Double click on .themes to open it up and hit "extract" or "ok" at the bottom. Actually I think it is "ok." It sounds like alot but it really isn't. Once you do it one time, it will automatically open to that folder the next time you want to install one...

Hope that helps you... :wink:
and remember ctrl + h brings up the hidden folders!

Return to “Cinnamon”