boot proble PC "eMachines"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vito49

boot proble PC "eMachines"

Post by Vito49 »

Hello, after installing Mint12 on my own PC I tried to install it on my son's PC which is an "eMachines EZ1600", but the boot process always freezes while reading initrd. I tried options "nomodeset" and "acpi=off" (this one works for me on my Fujitsu PC) but with no luck, boot never comes further than halfway initrd ...
I searched this forum with keywords "emachines" but i couldn't find any solution.

Anyone a hint how to grab this problem by the horns?

Many thanks, my son will be very happy if we could give him Linux.

Vito
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: boot proble PC "eMachines"

Post by AlbertP »

Could you please use the compatibility mode instead of normal boot? You can press a key during "Auto boot in 10 seconds" to get there. You can also add nomodeset to compatibility mode.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

AlbertP wrote:Could you please use the compatibility mode instead of normal boot? You can press a key during "Auto boot in 10 seconds" to get there. You can also add nomodeset to compatibility mode.
Sorry, but that doesn't work neither ... :cry:

Vito
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

I seem to remember there being a problem with Intel chipsets and Linux, they just don't work well together !
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That's not true. There are occasionally some issues with Intel, but generally Intel is the best chipset vendor for Linux. This particular chip, the 945GSE, also works fine (I have tried it with Mint 11 on a Compaq Mini 110).
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

cakehead wrote:I seem to remember there being a problem with Intel chipsets and Linux, they just don't work well together !
I emailed the Belgian section of eMachines and asked for more details and what about installing Linux ... I shall inform if I know more .

Vito
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

I just received the answer of eMachines Belgium .... they are NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE TECHNICAL SUPPORT WHEN INSTALLING OTHER OPERATION SYSTEMS !!!! Can you imagine! :evil:

I immediately answered that I insist, the PC is out of warranty and it's not up to them to decide what we do with the computer. But I don't expect a new answer.

Yes I'm mad now. :twisted:

Vito

PS: sorry admin, if this kind of pasts are not allowed ....
linuxdad

Post by linuxdad »

Several things that I have seen on my emachine is that if the dvd load doesn't work then use the CD (no codecs - smaller and burn it at a very low speed perhaps 2x. You can also try he usb boot methood using unetbootin to create the usb with either the CD or DVD iso. Several differeing options to try?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yes I'm mad now. :twisted:
well - I would be mad too :twisted: O/Ss
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If the DVD drive indeed has problems loading CD's, perhaps you have to clean it using a cleaning disc which you can get from many computer stores?
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

Hello, eMachines refuse to help me ... maybe something for us to remind when we are looking for a new PC or laptop?

Vito
spandey

Post by spandey »

How about trying Mint 11 32- bit?
Vito49

Post by Vito49 »

spandey wrote:How about trying Mint 11 32- bit?
I did. No luck.
Maybe another freshly burned DVD will be better. Well, I tried on my sons PC with the same DVD I installed Mint 12 with on my computer .... a computer expert told me it could be the DVD-reader.

Vito
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps the machine can boot from a USB DVD drive as well, or a USB stick. You can use Universal USB Installer (www.pendrivelinux.com) on Windows, or Unetbootin on Linux, to put the Mint ISO on a USB stick or USB disk.

I'd clean the drive with a cleaning disc and try again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”