Linus Torvalds dubs GNOME 3 'unholy mess'

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Volunteer4F
Level 1
Level 1

Linus Torvalds dubs GNOME 3 'unholy mess'

Post by Volunteer4F »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05 ... ome_three/

I think i have no choice but XFCE just like Linux dady
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: Linus Torvalds dubs GNOME 3 'unholy mess'

Post by monkeyboy »

Volunteer4F wrote:.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05 ... ome_three/

I think i have no choice but XFCE just like Linux dady

This just in (not really)

Linus Torvalds: "Hey, with gnome-tweak-tool and the dock extension, gnome-3.2 is starting to look almost usable.
Now I just hope those things become part of the standard gnome shell setup and made available in the regular “system config” thing rather than hidden off. Sure, make them default to off if you want that “clean default”, but make them easy to find and part of the standard install. Or would that be too close to “Ok, we admit we were wrong” and thus not politically acceptable?"

From an Internet News article titled Will GNOME 3.4 Save the Linux Desktop?
By Sean Michael Kerner on December 02, 2011
Enjoy
-
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Note the August 2011 date in the URL. :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Ahh! Linus T. perspectives
Linus Torvalds has a different perspective on usability from most Linux users: he is concerned with Kernel development and tools that support same, less concerned with desktop styles (Kde, Gnome etc), only that it doesn't get in his way.

So anytime there is a desktop change, if he has been using that desktop style, he immediately feels that it messes him up, and therefor no longer supports his methods of working (fairly obviously true)

That has been his relative position form some time
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Yeah, I remember when he complained about KDE 4 when it first came out. I can't blame him about Gnome 3 though. I've switched to Xfce myself.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Very old news - and it was comforting to know the founder of Linux has no time for desktops which stray from the Windows 95 desktop concept.

Good thing he's working on the kernel and not GUI (unless you agree Microsoft achieved desktop perfection 17 years ago of course).
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

bimsebasse wrote:Very old news - and it was comforting to know the founder of Linux has no time for desktops which stray from the Windows 95 desktop concept.

Good thing he's working on the kernel and not GUI (unless you agree Microsoft achieved desktop perfection 17 years ago of course).
For some reason I thought the OS/2 WPS was around 4 or 5 years before Windows 95? I think the desktop and mouse were perfected a long time ago, and that same GUI concept is even used on smart phones now a days.

But I agree, Gnome 3 is horrible. I am glad LMDE is still using Gnome 2.

PS, I have heard many say that Xerox really was the true inventer of the GUI.
Last edited by rdonnelly on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
Volunteer4F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Volunteer4F »

OK ! no one can stop the change. my Question is :
Why ? ? ? this Lovely Gnome turned to a mobile phone enviroment ? some non configurable stuffs that you have to adapt yourself to them
where is that world of choice and flexibelity of Gnome 2x ?
Volunteer4F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Volunteer4F »

monkeyboy wrote:

Linus Torvalds: "Hey, with gnome-tweak-tool and the dock extension, gnome-3.2 is starting to look almost usable.
Now I just hope those things become part of the standard gnome shell setup and made available in the regular “system config” thing rather than hidden off. Sure, make them default to off if you want that “clean default”, but make them easy to find and part of the standard install. Or would that be too close to “Ok, we admit we were wrong” and thus not politically acceptable?"

Enjoy
-
Dear friend I Loved linux becaus i hope it to beat windows in user frienly and every day usability beside its famouse power as soon
I use LMDE but i'm still noob i love it be cause of its Bare bone behavior , every thing is under my order
folks just like me can not make their own desktop

we want linux to work with, not to play with Gnome3 just like phone menu
Time will show that the bad idea finaly will lose

If every one coud make his own Desktop , now you coud not tell to noobs like me :
if you can not make it you adapt to it

tell me , is this the soul of open source ? one to all and all to every one?

Is this the way that Linux want to win the peoples hearts ?
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

In my brief time as a full time Linux user I have grown to dislike both Unity and Gnome 3. I feel that each adds a step or two before you are able to get your task finished. I do see the positives. Very clean and I think its something that I might learn to like in the future. For now though Ill be sticking with Cinnamon. So far I love it.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

I like Gnome 3 and Unity really much... It's a new experience which fits better in todays needs.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Volunteer4F wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Enjoy
-
Dear friend I Loved linux becaus i hope it to beat windows in user frienly and every day usability beside its famouse power as soon
I use LMDE but i'm still noob i love it be cause of its Bare bone behavior , every thing is under my order
folks just like me can not make their own desktop

we want linux to work with, not to play with Gnome3 just like phone menu
Time will show that the bad idea finaly will lose

If every one coud make his own Desktop , now you coud not tell to noobs like me :
if you can not make it you adapt to it

tell me , is this the soul of open source ? one to all and all to every one?

Is this the way that Linux want to win the peoples hearts ?
Dude you missed the point of my post. You posted a statement by Linus Torvalds that I felt needed to be supplemented by a follow on statement from the same source, so as to present a better view of reality. I am sure you agree that the truth of a given situation is important.
As to your comments on my signature, I really don't care. You can feel about it anyway you want but my signature is my signature. Enjoy
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

Angtagapagligt wrote:I like Gnome 3 and Unity really much... It's a new experience which fits better in todays needs.
It does have its uses. Neither are horrible, just different. Right now I am using Mate but I have been logging into Gnome 3 just to see if I can get used to it. I do understand why Ubuntu is going with Unity and Gnome is going the direction they are. Its a changing world and both managers are part of the future.

Return to “Open Chat”