Cinnamon makes Fedora 16 usable

Chat about Linux in general
akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Cinnamon makes Fedora 16 usable

Post by akavir »

So, I've never really been a fedora fan, but I at least like to check out the major distro live cd's when they come out. Fedora's use of the stock implementation of Gnome 3, is pretty much a disaster and difficult to navigate. I installed cinnamon, logged out, back in and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! An actual usable DE, and on top of that, (to my naked eye) it actually looks better with it's open source video driver than Linux Mint does with cinnamon with the nvidia (or any driver) loaded. I still hate the fedora system, but maybe they need to also take a serious look at including cinnamon as their default DE on 17!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon makes Fedora 16 usable

Post by xenopeek »

Well, at least you like Cinnamon :wink:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

akavir wrote:maybe they need to also take a serious look at including cinnamon as their default DE on 17!
Ugh! I hope not! I'm loving F16 with GNOME Shell!
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

MALsPa wrote:
akavir wrote:maybe they need to also take a serious look at including cinnamon as their default DE on 17!
Well, even if they did, you could always install gnome 3 shell session :wink:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

craig10x wrote:
MALsPa wrote:
Well, even if they did, you could always install gnome 3 shell session :wink:
Yeah, I guess so.

Well, you can already take Fedora's GNOME-based default edition and install Cinnamon. Seems quite unlikely they'd make Cinnamon the default, but maybe some folks would be happy if they added a Fedora Cinnamon spin to the list of other spins (KDE, LXDE, Xfce).
akavir wrote:Fedora's use of the stock implementation of Gnome 3, is pretty much a disaster and difficult to navigate.
I'm among those who feels the exact opposite, of course. As they say, YMMV.
akavir wrote:I still hate the fedora system
What do you hate about it? That it isn't like a Debian-based system? I haven't been using Fedora for very long -- I'm only on my 3rd version (F14, F15, F16), but I feel that it's one of the best distros I've got installed here. I started out using only Debian-based distros (Mepis, Ubuntu, Mint, Debian itself) because of reading that those were the best way to go. Using Fedora has been kind of an eye-opener for me; it's so much better than I expected it to be, and now I see why so many people love it.

One thing that they do that I wish that Mint could do is that they release their alternative spins right around the same time they release the default edition, so right away you can install the KDE spin or whatever if you don't want the GNOME-based default edition. I'm guessing that Mint can't do this because they lack the manpower that a distro like Fedora has, but it sure would be nice if something like that could be done with Mint on a regular basis.
spider2097
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider2097 »

I would imagine the guys at Fusion Linux are most likely looking at this - if not already implementing it. I keep forgetting to stay up-to-date with them despite it being a distro I wanted to keep an eye on & follow. It's hard to tell from a cursory glance at the website. However, from my first introduction to Fusion it was clear they had taken quite a few directions from Mint as inspiration. I recall reading they wanted to be "for Fedora as Mint was to Ubuntu".

akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by akavir »

I hate fedora because of it doesn't always "just work" out of the box. Fedora 3 was the first distro I ever tried. I've since tried 4,5,7,8,12,13,15, and 16. I will say 16 is the first version I've used that didn't crash with some serious flaw within a few days of use. I don't like the fact that they mainly just put out new distros seemly just to keep up with a release schedule, without really listening to what the community wants. I condemn Ubuntu for the same reason. I have on more than one occasion tried to install packages that don't get their dependencies. I've never had this problem with Mint(Ubuntu repository.) And a small gripe about the stock gnome3 that's being used. Why in gods name would you hide the shutdown and restart options. You know how frustrated I was when testing the live CD of 15, and had to search the internet to figure out something as simple as a graphical shutdown. I'm also not a fan of fedoras forums. On more than one occasion I've posted a problem I'm having and have been met with elitists that seem to believe you should just know what u r doing if u r going to use their distro. A problem I have with other communitites as well. The mint coemmunity is very friendly and is generally helpful.
Blu3hat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Blu3hat »

It does make it useable for alot of people. But IMO the bar is too narrow for my liking and it freezes on ocassion (which will probably be fixed with time). Other than that its pretty nice. But the default will always be the shell becasue that's how fedora rolls. I've been using GS since Fedora 15 and once you get used to the way it does things, it's pretty easy.
yum
spider2097
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider2097 »

It looks like the next version of Fusion Linux may very well be coming with Cinnamon as default. Mint users (using Cinnamon) may experience a bit of deja vu :

http://fusionlinux.org/2012/02/11/fusio ... neak-peak/

This may have re-ignited my interest in this distro. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”