Firefox, aspx, "mobile sites", general B.S.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
440roadrunner
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox, aspx, "mobile sites", general B.S.

Post by 440roadrunner »

I'm not sure where to post this. I've Googled. I've got one site which I would VERY much like to visit, www.summitracing.com

Anytime I try to visit the site, Firefox "wants" to download something called "moblilelanding.aspx" or else it seems to divert to their mobile website. I posted a photo of the download box, and the mobile page that appears. Some suggested I dump history/ cookies, etc, and I've done that to no avail. (I don't even understand why I should do this, do YOU dump all your history every time you turn on the 'puter?)

I found some settings suggested changes in about:config, and that did not work. I'm pretty frustrated. I WAS an Ubuntu user until this stupid "Unity" deal came along. No No NO thanks.

I'd sure like to find somebody "home" at Firefox.

Kevin108
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox, aspx,

Post by Kevin108 »

(Disregard.)
Last edited by Kevin108 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Firefox, aspx, "mobile sites", general B.S.

Post by vrkalak »

I am using LMDE-Xfce (Fluxbox) with the Firefox-9.0 browser . . .

I cliked on the link provided and had no problems navigating around that page or any of the other pages, for that site . . . I do not see a problem.

Have you tried using and perhaps posting in the Firefox Forum? There is always somebody 'home' there.
I have found the Firefox Forums to be a helpful read and a friendly place to ask.

Mozilla/Firefox Forum > http://forums.mozillazine.org/
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

440roadrunner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 440roadrunner »

I did post over at Firefox, and I've also Googled and found several complaints about this very problem. Firefox/ Mozilla responses, as I said above, most generally talk asbout "clearing the cache", cookies, etc, which does not work.

70aarcuda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 70aarcuda »

I am having the same problem..just upgraded to Firefox 9 hoping the problem would disappear.

I am now getting this error message...

/tmp/default.aspx could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

@ 440roadrunner

There have been many people with a similar problem to yours, me being one of them. Check out these threads:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/quest ... wer-280143
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=89421
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1821427

I found out from the Whirlpool forum that it is probably the website itself at fault, not Firefox or Mint.

As advised, I installed the Firefox Addon "User Agent Switcher 0.7.3", then temporarily switched from the Default Agent to IE8. Then I clicked on the webpage which then displayed as it normally should - not the "mobile" version of the page.

I tried it on your webpage - it worked for me.

This is a temporary fix - the webmaster should be contacted and told that their website's user-agent detection is incorrectly identifying your Firefox version as a mobile browser.

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)

Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Temporary Saint »

Well, I allowed mintUpdate to install FF 10 on my Isadora laptop, and MSN.com (of all sites! There are others though) thinks it's a mobile version. I installed the Agent Switcher extension suggested on this and other posts, as well as clearing my cache and cookies, but it has no effect.

Sigh...I wish I could have a browser that combined all of the pro's of FF, Opera, and Chromium. Neither one of them "does it" for me alone.

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

@Temporary Saint

I have Mint 9 and Firefox 10 (on a desktop).

Just a thought - are you using the Firefox extension "Noscript"?
Some pages you have to at least "temporarily allow all this page" before they'll work.

I went to msn.com, and initially couldn't access it. I then let Noscript allow it, and then I could access the page properly.

If you post links to the other sites you have having trouble accessing, I'll try them as well.

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

I also used "Internet Explorer 8" in User Agent Switcher to access msn.com (as well as letting Noscript allow the page).

caribriz

Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

No. Not using NoScript.

I'm having the same results on these sites, too, so far:

www.wfmz.com
www.zdnet.com

Steve

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

Well ....
I could access both those sites no problem - not doing anything with Noscript AND using just the Default User Agent.

So you have another problem somewhere. :?

caribriz

Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Since installing the User Agent hasn't done diddly I was wondering if the FF 10.0.2 update helped at all?

I've held back installing it although I guess it couldn't make anything worse.

Steve

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

@Temporary Saint
Just tried again to access the three websites you posted links to.

http://www.msn.com -
It asked me which page I wanted - my local msn.com or the American site.
Chose the American site and it opened without a problem.

The other two sites you posted - no problem whatsoever.
I have updated to Firefox 10.0.2.

caribriz

Return to “Software & Applications”