kde distro headaches....

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

kde distro headaches....

Post by podagee »

okay i am a distro hopper that is in search of a good stable distribution of linux.in search of a nice kde.opensuse 12.1 kde was nice,but,too much to maintain updates,etc.,mint 12 kde,well,saw now no difference with the rc and stable,so decided to take it off.kubuntu 12.04 alpha 2,now there was a beautiful kde,except after updating system everything just slowed down.with a minor fix everything ran smoothly only firefox wouldnt install.netrunner4.0 was a disaster.now gonna try the netrunner4.1 to see what happens.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Daboo

Re: kde distro headaches....

Post by Daboo »

"opensuse 12.1 kde was nice,but,too much to maintain updates,etc."

Not sure what you're getting at here. openSUSE 12.1 KDE has been working great for a couple months now. Updates happen automatically each day, or when available. The updating app won't let any programs update unless all the dependencies are resolved. It's been rock solid with no issues from the install on. I made the update to KDE 4.8 when it came out and it's been nice and stable.

The only problem I've found with openSUSE 12.1 KDE is that it is boring. Nothing breaks. It does what it is supposed to do. But I guess if you're a "distro hopper", that's exactly what you don't want. :)

Chris
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

Also not quite sure of what you seek, but for me almost any distro's KDE version is pretty great. I have Mint 12, Arch, openSUSE, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Kororaa, Debian-testing, Aptosid, Sabayon, Chakra, Mageia, Mepis, Slackware, Kubuntu, Salix and Pardus installs... all working fine. The main differences are in package management and frequency of updates/currency of packages. Arch is best for me because it's always up-to-date and has a great package manager (pacman - command-line, but there are gui ways of using it - I use Appset). That said, any of the above work great. If you want one that needs less maintenance/updates, try PCLinuxOS or Mepis, both very easy to install. The only KDE I'd avoid right now is Mandriva... they really ruined what was once a great distro.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

podagee wrote:okay i am a distro hopper that is in search of a good stable distribution of linux.in search of a nice kde.opensuse 12.1 kde was nice,but,too much to maintain updates,etc.,mint 12 kde,well,saw now no difference with the rc and stable,so decided to take it..
..but,too much to maintain updates
If you mean you didn't like Novell/Suse package manager YAST, yes some people didn't, but I found it reasonable and informative (download/update status)
--although I prefer apt to rpm and the Debian package manager, either the command line apt (don't like aptitude that much, finding the menu structure a bit busy) or an apt front end such as Synaptic; which some distributions attempt to disparage in favor of their own versions more related to any special features of their distribution..

I always consider Fedora, whenever looking at KDE desktops, they tend to do a good job, despite using rpm..
http://fedoraproject.org/en/

And when you say netrunner is a disaster, is that something to do with Kde or some other developer(s)..
http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement
  • It could very well be a disaster, although people can install any desktop of choice including the full Kde from the Kde developers or similarly Gnome 3x, if that is their choice..
I am probably mixing this data up, I thought netrunner might have been referring to Kde's network manager, but when I search I find other data indicating that it is a ubuntu type kde + Gnome style (nautilus file manager look) interface desktop or OS
  • --compatibility between Kde and gnome is a goal of the Freedesktop, if it is not achieved immediately because of differing priorities that is an expected result..
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... heUsrMerge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netrunner_ ... _system%29
http://www.netrunner-os.com/
http://www.netrunner-os.com/features/
  • The inclusion of wine by default is not something I desire (am clamping at the bit for..).
podagee

Post by podagee »

i have netrunner4.1 installed right now and i did the updates,dist-upgrade,and upgraded to kde 4.8 and it is running perfectly.
opensuse wasnt the issue i feel more comfortable with debian/ubuntu distros as i am used to their command line and software.it was actually rock solid stable and very nice.think ill stay here for a while.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That's the way it has gone for me too, podagee. I'm a frequent distrohopper, but I always come back to Mint for my main system.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
podagee

Post by podagee »

tdockery:yeah i am similar as to returning to mint.netrunner is a blend of kubuntu and mint.i am actually liking it and everything runs fine.only issue i had was no sound but that was easily fixed since in the kmix PCM was turned all the way down.now its perfect.anxiously awaiting kubuntu 12.04's final release since i had a taste.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've heard that netrunner is a good Mint alternative for those who want a different kind of KDE distro (and it doesn't hurt that they are in partnership with Mint).
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

podagee wrote:i have netrunner4.1 installed right now and i did the updates,dist-upgrade,and upgraded to kde 4.8 and it is running perfectly.
Keep an eye on your ram usage and cpu temp.

When I installed 4.1 it hammered my ram and my cpu temp constantly ran too hot..
podagee

Post by podagee »

it actually runs fine for my computer.ive let it on overnight to see and it is fine with the 3.0.0-15 kernel.cpu% is at around 20 memory is 419mb.not too bad
Blu3hat

Post by Blu3hat »

Fedora KDE is actually pretty decent. I've ran it for the last three months.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i went back to mint 12 kde and actually am lliking it beside the nepomuk failures.i am actually patiently awaiting kubuntu 12.04.ive had a taste and actually really enjoyed it.the alpha 2 was nice until i updated then everything went to crap,but,it was really nice.so,until then im sticking with mint already.i have reinstalled opensuse kde and honestly dont know what happened to them since my last install but it went terrible.so....mint 12 kde it is.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i went back to mint 12 kde and actually am lliking it beside the nepomuk failures.i am actually patiently awaiting kubuntu 12.04.ive had a taste and actually really enjoyed it.the alpha 2 was nice until i updated then everything went to crap,but,it was really nice.so,until then im sticking with mint already.i have reinstalled opensuse kde and honestly dont know what happened to them since my last install but it went terrible.so....mint 12 kde it is.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

When you reinstall from one distro to another, do you reformat the partitions, or do you reinstall over the existing partitions?

Chris
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Blu3hat wrote:Fedora KDE is actually pretty decent. I've ran it for the last three months.
I agree. They do a real good job with it.
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Daboo wrote:When you reinstall from one distro to another, do you reformat the partitions, or do you reinstall over the existing partitions?

Chris
First, I normally set my computer up with a '/', a 'swap', and a 'home' partition. I don't know whether that's right or wrong, but I have been doing it for so long it has just become habit.

That being said, if I am moving from one family of distributions to another, like from Ubuntu to a Slackware derivative or an RPM derivative, I format everything (swap doesn't matter). If I am moving within a family, say from Zorin OS to Linux Mint (both Ubuntu derivatives), I will try and save my 'home' partition. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how many bells and whistles one derivative has added from the vanilla Ubuntu. If it works, I have saved a little time -- if not, or well :cry: ...

I know there are a lot more savvy linux users than me, so feel free to pile on the comments :wink: ...

Hawkeye
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I do much the same thing as you do Hawkeye_52. I'm sure there's a better way, but I save anything I care about to a "shared" NTFS partition. If all else fails, I can access it through the WinXP dual boot option.

I have a root, home and swap partition. When I went from Linux Mint 10 KDE to LM12 and added KDE back in November, I formatted those three partitions so I'd have a clean install. Likewise when I went from LM12 to openSUSE 12.1 KDE, I reformatted those three partitions. IMHO as a Linux newbie, it made good sense to not have any leftover settings or whatever to corrupt the new install.

I guess I should've made it more clear that I was directing the question to podagee. He's been on mint 12 kde, "kubuntu 12.04 alpha 2, opensuse kde, and netrunner 4.1. It seems like things are not working well and wondered if this was the problem.

Chris
podagee

Post by podagee »

format is always a plus though i never do the separate partitions for /,/home,etc.
i never stay with a distro long enough for it to be set up that way.separate partitions is actually the smartest way to do it if data is stored.

Return to “Chat about Linux”