Suggestion: Keeping Oracle (Sun) Java

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Dry Lips

Suggestion: Keeping Oracle (Sun) Java

Post by Dry Lips »

What will happen with the java-plugin that comes with Mint when Lisa is launched?

“Oracle (Sun) Java Runtime Environment (JRE) has been removed from the official software
repositories of Ubuntu. In Ubuntu 11.10, it has even disappeared from the Partner repository.

http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxt ... from-all-r

In my experience OpenJDK/IcedTea simply doesn't work with the secure java login which is used in
the most common ebank solution in my country, so I really hope that you will include Oracle Java in Lisa,
even though it has disappeared from the official repos.

Sorry if this is more of a plea than a suggestion! :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Suggestion: Keeping Oracle (Sun) Java

Post by xenopeek »

First, I'm assuming you want to install Oracle Java version 6. As for Oracle Java version 7, this announcement from Oracle is relevant: http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/mo ... jdk_as_the. Basically, Oracle has made OpenJDK the reference implementation for Java version 7. So, though indeed there are compatibility issues on version 6 between Oracle Java and OpenJDK, this should be a lot less with version 7 as OpenJDK is now the official reference implementation for all implementers of Java 7.

As for Oracle Java 6, you will be able to easily install that on Linux Mint 12 (or Ubuntu 11.10) with the following three commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
I hope that is one worry less for you :wink:
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Thanks a lot! I was looking for a repo with the old sun-java! :)

So... Will Lisa have OpenJDK7 included then, or are they going to stick with sun-java6?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I'm not sure. But as Ubuntu 11.10 has moved to OpenJDK I'm assuming Linux Mint 12 will follow.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

Hopefully it is included, Sun/Oracle java works with more programs.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

For what it's worth, sun-java6 is available in the Linux Mint 12 Lisa repository
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... a#upstream
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

proxima_centauri wrote:For what it's worth, sun-java6 is available in the Linux Mint 12 Lisa repository
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... a#upstream
Thanks! Will be adding this PPA after RC is released.

Edit: This might be off-topic, but is it safe to add this PPA before the RC is released?
proxima_centauri

It's not a PPA, it's the official Linux Mint repo for Linux Mint 12.

No, it's not safe to add it, and it is designed with GNOME3 in mind.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

proxima_centauri wrote:It's not a PPA, it's the official Linux Mint repo for Linux Mint 12.

No, it's not safe to add it, and it is designed with GNOME3 in mind.
Sorry, got too used to Launchpad PPAs. Thanks for the information.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

This needs to be addressed, since JDK & JRE 7 was released, but i could only find openjdk-7 instead of sunjdk-7 in Synaptic Package Manager. Newbies who want the latest JRE/JDK have to enter the terminal and type a lot of commands just to do that. Worse thing, they have to use root, thus they may damage their system badly.
proxima_centauri

As far as I know, it's a licensing issue - distributions may no longer package java jre/jdk.
You have to use sun-java6 or openjdk7. Otherwise you can manually install the newest oracle version of java from their website.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Suprisingly...Oracle provides an rpm install package for both Oracle Java 6 AND Java 7 but does NOT provide an install package for deb....being that debian based distros are more common then red hat based distros, you would think they would...i e-mailed them about it but received no response...

I hope Clem will package the Oracle java 7 into future editions of mint (like when version 7 eventually replaces 6 and so forth) because ubuntu itself no longer provides it and it is very true that even Open Java 7 does not work on all programs (even though Oracle claims that Open Java 7 and Oracle Java 7 are supposedly compatable) apparently they still are not... :roll:

I know because i have a program that works great on the licensed version but does NOT work at all on either Open 6 OR Open 7....
The least Oracle should do is provide a simply deb install package for it...manually installing it is a pain in the rear and could potentially mess up your terminal if you don't install it correctly...
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

craig10x wrote:Suprisingly...Oracle provides an rpm install package for both Oracle Java 6 AND Java 7 but does NOT provide an install package for deb....being that debian based distros are more common then red hat based distros, you would think they would...i e-mailed them about it but received no response...

I hope Clem will package the Oracle java 7 into future editions of mint (like when version 7 eventually replaces 6 and so forth) because ubuntu itself no longer provides it and it is very true that even Open Java 7 does not work on all programs (even though Oracle claims that Open Java 7 and Oracle Java 7 are supposedly compatable) apparently they still are not... :roll:

I know because i have a program that works great on the licensed version but does NOT work at all on either Open 6 OR Open 7....
The least Oracle should do is provide a simply deb install package for it...manually installing it is a pain in the rear and could potentially mess up your terminal if you don't install it correctly...
Agreed.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

How can Mint have Java included in the installation, when you keep in mind that Oracle Java was removed from the Ubuntu repos... Since it's a question of licensing I wonder how they get away with this?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

probably because linux mint is based in ireland...so not subjected to those licensing restrictions...that is why mint offers two versions of their isos...with codecs and without...for legal distribution in the US and Japan that have those restrictions...of course, nothing prevents one (in US and Japan) from using the codec iso even though in those countries, technically it is not quite legal (lol)... :wink:

just like nothing prevents one from downloading dvd files from newsgroups, right? :lol:

i can't figure why ubuntu itself is not using the license versions since the open source versions of java runtime can be incompatible with many online java applications...i have noticed this even with the open source java 7 which supposedly is 100% compatible with the Oracle version...not so :roll:

if ubuntu really plans on going mainstream (which they seem to be planning on doing) this is not going to work well for them at all...

Not sure what Clem's plans are for future editions of mint regarding the java runtime issue...
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

craig10x wrote: i can't figure why ubuntu itself is not using the license versions since the open source versions of java runtime can be incompatible with many online java applications...i have noticed this even with the open source java 7 which supposedly is 100% compatible with the Oracle version...not so :roll:
Yeah, I OpenJDK doesn't work at all for my net banking. Having windows around just to pay my bills is uncool...
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Question:

Is sun java actually in the mint repos, or is it just included in the installation as a static package? In other words, will you receive upgrades if new versions of java 6 are released?
anitaconway

Post by anitaconway »

xenopeek wrote:First, I'm assuming you want to install Oracle Java version 6. As for Oracle Java version 7, this announcement from Oracle is relevant: http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/mo ... jdk_as_the. Basically, Oracle has made OpenJDK the reference implementation for Java version 7. So, though indeed there are compatibility issues on version 6 between Oracle Java and OpenJDK, this should be a lot less with version 7 as OpenJDK is now the official reference implementation for all implementers of Java 7.

As for Oracle Java 6, you will be able to easily install that on Linux Mint 12 (or Ubuntu 11.10) with the following three commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
I hope that is one worry less for you :wink:
FINALLY!!!! something that actually worked to fix my problem :) I've been looking for three days and this is what fixed it. Thanks for posting.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

This one is even better (was posted in another mint forums thread) it is a deb file compiled for the licensed Oracle Java (which took over for sun)....
it will always install the latest version of the licensed java run time...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93052

I used it on my ubuntu 11.10 install...works perfect!!! :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”