Touchpad Stops Working Randomly

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad Stops Working Randomly

Post by Kikito »

Hello!

From about a week ago, my touchpad suddenly stops working whenever I'm using the computer. I've noticed it happens when I'm using Firefox, but it also happens that I use Firefox a lot of the time so it could just be coincidence. Curiously the trackpoint and its buttons work just fine, as do my mouse when I plug it in after the problem occurs. Also, it seems that if I log out and back in, the problem sort of goes away for a while.

I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad L512. I'm running Linux Mint 12 with Gnome Shell.

Thanks in advance and do tell me if the output of any terminal command would be useful!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jvalleroy

Re: Touchpad Stops Working Randomly

Post by jvalleroy »

This just happened to me as well. I think this is the relevant bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/868400
awg_ilyas

Post by awg_ilyas »

Tired the said solution. I can confirm it does not work on my Acer Aspire 4820TG.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

I mucked about with the touchpad settings in the Mouse and Touchpad area. Unclicked the "Disable touchpad while typing" option for a while thn turned it back on. The problem hasn't resurfaced since. We'll see how this goes.
godzemo

Post by godzemo »

I can confirm that turning off "Disable touchpad while typing" fixes the problem for me- suggests that the problem is related to that feature.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

The problem does reappear occassionally, though, which makes me sad and annoyed. Still, nothing that takes more than a few seconds to fix, really.

Return to “Hardware Support”