[solved] Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SmokngunsLinGer

[solved] Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Post by SmokngunsLinGer »

I burned Linux Mint (12 Lisa 64 bit) to a cd (bootable) and launched installation. I first tried to install within Windows (7 Home Premium) and rebooted upon prompt. When I tried to boot, it gave me the option to boot with Windows 7 or Linux Mint. Selected Linux, it gave me a 5 sec count down for boot options, I let it expire so the installation would continue as is, the screen went black, then the display turned off altogether. I got the same result when I tried installing the demo and full installation. I also tried to continue the installation by selecting boot in 'graphics safe mode' with the exact same result. Could it be my graphics card? I have an AMD Radeon(TM) HD6480G. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! I wanna break free of Windows.... Thanks in advance!!

**I've also tried installing the latest version Ubuntu and am getting the exact same result >_<

***Add Fedora 16 to that list. I get the message 'Gnome 3 failed to load and is in fallback mode'. I got the latest video card drivers and tried again but to no avail...

****Linux Arch is also on the list..... FML!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Post by xenopeek »

At the countdown screen when booting Linux Mint DVD, press a key. Then highlight (don't press enter!) the second entry in the menu, and press Tab to edit its boot parameters. Before the final double-dash (--) on that line, add "nomodeset acpi=off" (without the quotes). See if this allows you to boot into the live session, so you can start the installation.
SmokngunsLinGer

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

xenopeek
You ROCK!!!! Thanks for your help!!!
SmokngunsLinGer

Re: [solved}Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Li

Please read this page, it worked for me!!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=94299
kernowmint

Post by kernowmint »

I've been having the same problem with my HP g6 Pavilion laptop with Intel HD graphics. I thought I'd cracked it when I was able to get it to boot using "no modeset" and "acpi=off", but then I discovered that setting "acpi=off" means I can't shutdown the system properly, it freezes part way through shutdown and I have to force a shutdown using the power button. Somewhere on this forum or another one I saw someone suggest typing "shutdown -P now" at the terminal, but is it OK to do that every time?

Note the lengths some of us will go to in order to avoid going back to Windows!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

kernowmint, the nomodeset should only be needed until you install proper graphics card drivers. Suggest you ask here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=59 for help on that. Please include the output of the following command in your support request:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fc 0
As for the acpi=off, yes this will cause the acpi (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) from not working. You may instead try acpi=noirq, see if that still allows you to boot.

Documentation on kernel parameters: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... meters.txt
kernowmint

Post by kernowmint »

Thank you Vincent, I'll try those things when I get a chance.

Return to “Installation & Boot”