Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z06gal

Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Post by z06gal »

Love the improvements! Kudos to the Mint team!! :D :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released and so nice!!

Post by zerubbabel »

I installed the update as soon as it appeared in my update manager, an when the update completed, I did Alt-F2, r, and it logged me out. When I logged back in, there was no Cinnamon, but just some strange fallback Gnome interface. I rebooted, checked that Cinnamon was selected, and logged in. Still no Cinnamon. Now I am running Mate, hoping that this mess gets straightened out soon. If not, how can I revert to Cinnamon 1.2?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

glebihan is in xchat right now and I am sure he can answer that. When I updated and reloaded Cinnamon, 1.3 is what I got so I'm not sure what happened for you.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Looking better and better - I like the everything-is-an-applet thing!

*off to update themes*
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

z06gal wrote:glebihan is in xchat right now and I am sure he can answer that. When I updated and reloaded Cinnamon, 1.3 is what I got so I'm not sure what happened for you.
Don't know what xchat is, but I'm logged in with Jitsi as zerubbabel@jabber.org
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Click on menu > internet > xchat and that is where the help channel is. He is helping people in there right now :wink:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

bimsebasse wrote:Looking better and better - I like the everything-is-an-applet thing!

*off to update themes*

Me too bim. I am wondering though if we will need to remove and then reinstall extensions like the reload cinnamon one when they are updated to 1.3? Thanks :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

If anyone figures out how to drag-n-drap the window list give us a bell, got mine stock in the right side of the panel now :)
zerubbabel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zerubbabel »

z06gal wrote:Click on menu > internet > xchat and that is where the help channel is. He is helping people in there right now :wink:
Thanks, I'm on xchat now.
DoctorTyrell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DoctorTyrell »

Please remove the dependency of nvidia-common.
I have intel/ati, and yet when i go to upgrade cinnamon it requires nvidia-common.
DementedSnake

Post by DementedSnake »

Same here. I have Intel, not NVIDIA. I went to upgrade, it required the NVIDIA packages, and it ended up breaking Cinnamon, plus some of my games. I'm typing this from MATE because Cinnamon won't even start. I need to downgrade after posting this.

EDIT: Oh, I can't downgrade. Well now I'm stuck with a half-broken box. I guess it's my own fault for trusting the official repo to not break stuff. I've learned my lesson.

For anyone wondering, when I try to log into Cinnamon, I get this error: "failed to load session cinnamon"

If I try to play certain games, like S.C.O.U.R.G.E., for example, I get the error "Video mode set failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual" in the terminal.
Last edited by DementedSnake on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Hmmm, sounds like I have the same issue as I have an ATI card. I think I'm screwed. :cry:
socrates_johnson

Post by socrates_johnson »

As a Gnome 2 nomad, I am cautiously optimistic and am really enjoying Cinnamon so far. I just updated to 1.3 and was wondering if there's a way to control which panels applets/extensions appear on. I use two panels and with Cinnamon 1.2 the show desktop and workspace switcher defaulted to the bottom. In 1.3, everything is on my top panel. Also, does the weather extension not work with 1.3? It's checked in my settings, but does not appear. Thank you for your help!
joshuar9476

Post by joshuar9476 »

when i log into cinnamon after updating, i'm getting just a solid black box on top and bottom ... none of the options or settings work ... i assume cinnamon just isn't loading and is instead defaulting back.
DementedSnake

Post by DementedSnake »

Waiting patiently in the IRC room. Described my problem. Gave some more info after a test. It's been thirty minutes since I joined. Not a single reaction. People who joined after me are getting help.

(sigh)

Just tried to start Cinnamon from a terminal, to see what errors I get. It complains about GLX missing on the display (NVIDIA broke something), and that Clutter can't start because the OpenGL version can't be determined.

I have no idea why the NVIDIA drivers are dependences for Cinnamon, but they broke my desktop.

Has anyone figured out a fix?
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

DementedSnake wrote:Just tried to start Cinnamon from a terminal, to see what errors I get. It complains about GLX missing on the display (NVIDIA broke something), and that Clutter can't start because the OpenGL version can't be determined.

I have no idea why the NVIDIA drivers are dependences for Cinnamon, but they broke my desktop.

Has anyone figured out a fix?
How can Cinnamon require NVIDIA drivers? I didn't even look at the updates. :?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

My panel is a complete shambles and I will have to seek temporary asylum in Gnome Shell :)

Hope everyone in here understands Cinnamon is in alpha, under heavy development, and you can only expect quirks and bugs (though Cinnamon 1.2 was more stable than Gnome Shell!). For a fully developed working desktop you have to be a bit more patient.
DementedSnake

Post by DementedSnake »

Finally got some help from Clem. Reload (update) your package list. Reinstall Cinnamon. The dependency should be removed and you can uninstall the NVIDIA junk. I just did. I need to test it now. Be right back.

EDIT: It worked. You should now be able to run Cinnamon and remove the NVIDIA crap if you need.
Last edited by DementedSnake on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

bimsebasse wrote:My panel is a complete shambles and I will have to seek temporary asylum in Gnome Shell :)

Hope everyone in here understands Cinnamon is in alpha, under heavy development, and you can only expect quirks and bugs (though Cinnamon 1.2 was more stable than Gnome Shell!). For a fully developed working desktop you have to be a bit more patient.
Of course - that is a given, but I think the question is why were NVIDIA drivers included in the update?
DementedSnake

Post by DementedSnake »

Oversight? I'm just glad the response was so quick. Normally things like this take a day or two.

I understand it's not exactly stable software, that's fine. I just expected the official packages from the distro's main repository to not break stuff like that. But I'm glad it was solved quickly. Thanks dev team.

Return to “Cinnamon”