WD external drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

WD external drive

Post by iironjade »

Mint 4.0 seems to be doing everything except allowing me to access my Western Digital external hard drive. Normally, installing ntfs-3g cures this but not today. I can't even open the drive read only, let alone create files or folders etc. Am I missing something obvious or is there a solution everyone knows but me? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
McLovin

Re: WD external drive

Post by McLovin »

try unplugging and replugging th drive, that's what I have to do sometimes, then it automounts for me.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

If only. I get the "cannot mount drive" message.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Force mounting hasn't worked so far but I'll give it another try. This drive was perfectly accessible with Ubuntu 7.04 but not with 7.10. It was also ok with the Mint and Ubuntu Live cds but not when installed. It's not life threatening but it's an annoying little quirk.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Have you tried pmount?

Code: Select all

pmount /dev/sxx disk
This mount /dev/sxx to /media/disk. This does NOT require sudo :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

My WD 320GB external (MyBook Essential USB 2.0) works flawless so it's not necessarily a WD/Mint issue
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

The problem appears to have been solved. How, I don't know, but Mint is now running perfectly. Thanks for your suggestions. :D
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

iironjade wrote:The problem appears to have been solved. How, I don't know, but Mint is now running perfectly. Thanks for your suggestions. :D
Do you have a dual boot machine with either XP or Vista? In that case if you hot unplug the external hdd when you are using MS OS you get this message when you boot into linux. If you encounter the same problem once again, try booting into XP (or Vista) and use Safely Remove feature (after having connected your external HDD to your pc) in order to disconnect your external HDD. After that boot into linux. I had the same problem several times because I used to hot unplug my external HDDs.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Completely forgot to mention that this laptop is dual booted with XP. Today was the first time I booted XP and clearly that's what fixed it. I feel like seven kinds of idiot. :oops:
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

paradigmX wrote:I don't have a link but I read an Article about WD purposely making some of their external Hard Drives compatable with windows only
I read some recently but it was for Seagate external drives ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... nubs-linux

Return to “Beginner Questions”