Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazdg24

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released and so nice!!

Post by chazdg24 »

DementedSnake wrote:Finally got some help from Clem. Reload (update) your package list. Reinstall Cinnamon. The dependency should be removed and you can uninstall the NVIDIA junk. I just did. I need to test it now. Be right back.

EDIT: It worked. You should now be able to run Cinnamon and remove the NVIDIA crap if you need.
I'm jealous. I think I have no option but to reinstall, but I will be waiting a day at least before I do that.
yael

Post by yael »

When I lock my screen (I'm using it at work) and come back and type my password, Cinnamon is gone, I have to use term and type cinnamon --sync and it comes back.
I'm sure I'm not doing it the right way, but it's an issue for me.

Also I have the alt-F2 who doesn't work anymore, I'm sure it's not linked to cinnamon but it would have been nice to have it to fix the problem above.

I do have an nvidia card if that matters.
DementedSnake

Post by DementedSnake »

I just tested that. Same here. I locked the screen and then unlocked it. Cinnamon was gone, and although I could click things, I couldn't seem to type in my browser. Alt+F2 didn't work either.

I had to Alt+F6 to get to a terminal and reboot.

Ah, the joys of unstable software.

EDIT: Also, everything on Cinnamon's panel bar (flipped) is aligned to the right. I guess that's just a symptom of the new modular panel.
djb61230

Post by djb61230 »

Some undesired behavior IMHO with this update:

1) Mouse sloppy focus now has a setting in cinnamon settings which is good. But auto raise is also set. I hate auto raise. Fixed it with gconf-editor. Suggest since sloppy focus was added perhaps add auto raise selection too. In the past they have always been together.

2) I have no idea why this is happening - but I get the unity menu at the top of the screen. I do have unity installed because I wanted to play with it at one point. With this update and a logout/login it has appeared. Don't like it. Also started up gnome-shell and the menu is there too, seen underneath the gnome-shell top bar.

Fun fun fun. This is my first breakage using mint. Not ready to jump ship yet but thinking about it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Fun fun fun. This is my first breakage using mint. Not ready to jump ship yet but thinking about it.
OK I promise this is the last time, hopefully someone else will take over :) Cinnamon is not a finished product, it's under development, bugs and issues go with the territory, and that's why you got the update, because it is meant to be benefit from users testing the newest versions at this stage - otherwise it wouldn't have been released.

I do think that Clem and crew now should provide some sort of warning/disclaimer so newcomers who don't read up on what they install know what they're in for.
joshuar9476

Post by joshuar9476 »

i was able to uninstall cinnamon, log into MATE, uninstall NVidia, then reinstall cinnamon 1.3. Everything is A-OK now
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry about the nvidia glitch.. the build picked up on my own nvidia drivers and treated them as dependency.

First thing to do is to check if your version of cinnamon depends on nvidia-current:

apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia

If that outputs something, it means it does.. which means, you've got to reinstall Cinnamon 1.3.

To reinstall Cinnamon 1.3:

apt update
apt clean
apt reinstall cinnamon

Then make sure the dependency is gone (the following command should output nothing):

apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia

Also, if you don't have an nVidia card (or if you were running Nouveau beforehand), and if the package "nvidia-current" is now installed on your system, don't hesitate to remove it:

apt remove --purge nvidia-current

We're currently identifying any other potential issue and we'll follow up with an 1.3.1 update in the days to come.

Admins: Feel free to make this a sticky if there's demand for it.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Menu and Show Destop have moved to the right and the Date/Time doesn't show AM/PM
Edit: the time is off the edge of the screen until an application is opened
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I seem to messed little bit up my Cinnamon panel, when tryed all the settings. ;-)
(Got ones even hole panel empty)

My icons in panel are fallen the right side of the panel. I was able to get some of them to left side, but not all.
The panel what has program icons or the list of running programs doesn't seem to move back to left?
Is there way to reset situation?
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
djb61230

Post by djb61230 »

bimsebasse wrote:
OK I promise this is the last time, hopefully someone else will take over :) Cinnamon is not a finished product, it's under development, bugs and issues go with the territory, and that's why you got the update, because it is meant to be benefit from users testing the newest versions at this stage - otherwise it wouldn't have been released.
I'm just spoiled since mint has been so rock solid the last couple of years. I'm not a newcomer and I've definitely donated more often than I've posted here. :)

Anyway no matter, I've gone back to gnome3 which I was liking a lot before trying cinnamon. Maybe try cinnamon again in mint 13.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

clem wrote:Hi,

I'm terribly sorry about the nvidia glitch.. the build picked up on my own nvidia drivers and treated them as dependency.
These things happens, it comes with the territory. What does a user do if the system will not boot at all with an ATI card?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

djb61230 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:
I'm just spoiled since mint has been so rock solid the last couple of years. I'm not a newcomer and I've definitely donated more often than I've posted here. :)

Anyway no matter, I've gone back to gnome3 which I was liking a lot before trying cinnamon. Maybe try cinnamon again in mint 13.
That's OK, I was a bit taken a back too because Cinnamon 1.2 was rock stable and I didn't expect the new appletification of the panel + drag'n'drop functionality to take such a toll on everything. It's easy to see the potential, though - with the worst glitches and bugs smoothened out Cinnamon will be not just as but much more configurable than what we knew in Gnome 2. The entire Gnome 2 nostalgia massive will finally have a new home. At least those who haven't already settled in LXDE or KDE :D
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Only thing I haven't been able to get back is the weather applet. The drag and drop took a little time to figure out but I have everything else now positioned the way I like it.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

wyrdoak wrote:Only thing I haven't been able to get back is the weather applet. The drag and drop took a little time to figure out but I have everything else now positioned the way I like it.

The only thing not working for me is the dock extension. Everything else is great :wink:
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

May be obvious post, but to any who is wondering I just installed 1.3 update and no nvidia dependencies
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

Lumikki wrote:The panel what has program icons or the list of running programs doesn't seem to move back to left?
Is there way to reset situation?
Open dconf-editor

If you haven't got it installed its

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
org >> cinnamon >> enable-applets

look for

'panel1:center:11:window-list@cinnamon.org', 
change it to

'panel1:left:11:window-list@cinnamon.org', 
Picture, courtesy of ZeroZero
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Nice, cheers - at least it's easy to uncatastrophy your panel :D
dsplayname

Post by dsplayname »

z06gal wrote:
wyrdoak wrote:Only thing I haven't been able to get back is the weather applet. The drag and drop took a little time to figure out but I have everything else now positioned the way I like it.

The only thing not working for me is the dock extension. Everything else is great :wink:
These^.
I updated when I got home this evening, and now the weather and dock extensions(the only ones I use) aren't working. I just switched to Mint 12 from Ubuntu 11.10 last night, so while I'm not completely linux-illiterate, I still am somewhat new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the update too, I have loved Cinnamon since 1.1.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Tks bu99zy for picking my screenie there :)

some of the issues you are seeing with today's update come from the everything is an applet commit
and the pictures are the prove
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

You do not need to go into dconf and manually input change...applets and menu icons can be moved by simple gui drag and drop

*edit* maybe not so simple, a little buggy but still can be done
Last edited by Sammaul on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cinnamon”