1st post here - desktop link to XP HDD broken?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alanmzifa

1st post here - desktop link to XP HDD broken?

Post by alanmzifa »

I just installed Linux Mint 4.0 last night. Some previous experience with Ubuntu on and off for the last 2 years.

I'm delighted with Mint, I run a 2 HDD set-up, XP on one and a Linux distro (now Mint) on the other. Mint installed perfectly and sorted boot out just as I've had to manually edit GRUB in the past. Perfect, no hassles. And no installing browser plug-ins, fantastic.

I wanted to see my XP HDD and the My Pictures file from the Mint drive so I created a link. Downloaded Picasa which set about searching for pics.
This morning the link reports as broken, Picasa on the MInt drive can't see anything. There seems to be no way to edit the link. Going through "Computer" I get asked for my password to access the drive with XP on (so this must be what's causing the broken link, permission is required). The link then appears and Picasa starts trawling through my folder (all 40GB worth!) for pics again.

Is there any way I can change things so that the Mint HDD can always see pictures folder on my XP drive?

I also thought Picasa would have archived the thumbnails on the Mint drive.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 1st post here - desktop link to XP HDD broken?

Post by MagnusB »

It requires a password for mounting some file systems, generally ntfs are only mounted as read only (I think). You could use mintDesktop to add a shortcut to it on your desktop though.. :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
alanmzifa

Post by alanmzifa »

I have put a link to that folder on my desktop but that's what I said has a padlock attached to it. I've found that if I then go into "computer" and click on the Windows XP HDD I get asked for a password. After that the padlock on the link for the folder (which is on the Windows XP HDD) disappears and I can see the files underneath. So can Picasa's media monitor.

I was wanting to know if it's possible to avoid having to go through this ritual and just "SEE" the folder and files after Mint has booted.

Any suggestions?
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Hi alanmzifa

I am not totally sure about this but it may be worth a try..........if you do not have Krusader installed, install it from Synaptic or Apt.

Inside Krusader, go to tools and open 'start root mode krusader'

See if that accomplishes what you want to achieve.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”