not very nice and now I wont use this-

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neighborlee
Level 1
Level 1

not very nice and now I wont use this-

Post by neighborlee »

' we decided to give an option to lazy users ',,

Well LinuxMint, DONT DO ME ANY FAVORS okay ;-)..if you can't do something because its 'nice' to do it or provides useful features or help for some users, - then why bother at all, and on top of it say something l33tist in the process. We wonder why windows users get the impression they aren't welcome ?

I would like to think you meant this in a non elistist way, but I just can't seem to spin it that way no matter how I think on it...what were you thinking ?

I have lost whatever respect I had for this distro and will gladly tell fellow linux users I meet in irc or abroad about why they should avoid this altogether.

cu
g.leej
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

huh? confused? :lol:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Mmm, Troll? :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorensei wrote:Mmm, Troll? :roll:

Scho ä chlei ... und drzue no än ziemli blöde :wink:

(based on your Swiss flag in your avatar I assume you understand this?? :D Si non je m'excuse :wink: .... )
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Caramba encore raté! Mon suisse-allemand est inexistant. :D

Blöde, ça doit être stupide, non?

Could you kindly translate, so I may understand at least a few shreds of what my fellow Swiss speak on the other side of the Röstigraben?

And well, I might have speaking Italian. Or, more exotically, Romanche! :wink: With us Swiss you never know... where did you learn it?
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Er, last question was stupid. Your location being Switzerland. :oops:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorensei wrote:Caramba encore raté! Mon suisse-allemand est inexistant. :D
Pas de problème ... Alors, j'ai dit que tu as probablement raison ... il est vraiement un petit peu stupid ce gas :D

Il probablement devrait arrêter de fumer les herbes là ... :lol:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi Scorp123,
when are you going to learn, we need to treat people with respect, and try to understand them a little bit instead of arguing or calling them name just piont them to the solution and its not about you some other user also behave in a arrogant way it is nice that you know your way around the forums and how to find answers on them, but please remember windows user have no Idea how to use a formun. Clem and other developers put a great effort to make Linux Mint attractive for new users you did it to nice wallpaper btw. :) so please lets try to help them.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

frank392 wrote:Hi Scorp123,
when are you going to learn, we need to treat people with respect
Respect is a mutual affair. And spare me your efforts in "educating" me, you have already proven how disrespectful you can be when you posted that silly and uninformed troll posting of your's. You can just go and stand in the same corner like this guy up there.

Coming here and asking for help is one thing. Coming here and posting BS how bad everything is without even giving us a chance to help is just plain BS and entirely another thing.

And if you're so allergic to my postings, why the f*** don't you just ignore me? I ignore you too 99% of the time, be happy :wink:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi Scorp123, first I'm Sorry if one of my post seam rude to you it was not my intention english is not my first language so sometimes what I say it may sound rude or unpolite. sorry if i have offended you.
and I'm not here to "educated you", I have more stuff to learn from you and I hope we can be friends.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I searched the forum.. I can't find what the original poster was making reference to. It doesn't look like a troll but it's certainly something that doesn't deserve attention.

Anyway, the more people come here the more drama we'll have now and then :)

.. would have been nice to understand this guy's complain though..

Clem
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starkey »

jejeje, a este pobre no lo quieren en su casa.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:.. would have been nice to understand this guy's complain thoug...
Precisely! Writing stuff out of context and nonsense such as "don't do me any favours" is not really going to help anyone, especially not him (her?).

Writing stuff like "hey guys, I can't get xyz to work, and I need help with this and this ... " that's something different. But "don't do me any favours"??? OK, he asked for it :wink:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Well, I'd like to put in my two cents: if anyone's going to ask for help, doing it politely has nothing to do with knowing how to use a forum, it's just basic, common courtesy.

Asking seemingly stupid questions because you don't know the platform is one thing - I have and probably will ask my share of those, too - but being offensive to people who help through no obligation is plain stupid. :roll:

Well, just my thoughts, anyway.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

quickstart wrote:I've yet to post a question on any forum.
I just read, and read and..well you get the picture.
Respect!! 8) It's true that with Linux (and UNIX-like operating systems in general) you need to read tons and tons of stuff. But once you did that nobody can take this from you. Nobody will come and change Linux in such a way that all the reading you did becomes useless overnight because someone changed a ton of features (only exception I could think of is Linux kernel API's which change from time to time ... but as a user you probably never will mess with Linux kernel API's anyway? It's more of a frustration to Linux kernel programmers ...). Microsoft does that with every release of Windows :wink: And besides, once you know Linux and one particular distribution a bit it's not so difficult to learn other distributions or other UNIX-like operating systems such as FreeBSD. They are all very similar. It's like driving cars: The models may differ from manufactor to manufactor, but the basic stuff is always in the same place. You know how to drive one car? Then you also know how to drive all others, it's just a matter of finding the right buttons for all the bells and whistles in every new model you'll drive, but the basic stuff is absolutely the same.

Same with Linux and UNIX: you know one, you basically know them all. :wink:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

When my kids were in school Apple machines were dominant. Now it is nearly all Windows. Dell, or one of the other computer manufacturers, were simply able to supply windows machines at a lower costs.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

quickstart wrote:So in an ideal world, Linux/UNIX would be taught in computer studies in schools. Here in the UK as far as I know, children learn how to use Windows software. They don't learn about alternative OS's.
Same here in my company when I get new apprentices. :lol: And then the shock in their faces when I tell them that in my department they'll have to learn all this UNIX and Linux stuff ... :twisted:

It takes one week or two, but after that I have one hell of a hard time to get them away from their keyboards again :lol: You show them a few basic tricks (e.g. the wonders of bash and what happens when you hit the tab key a few times .... or the wonders of man and apropos ... ) and they become Linux junkies :D

My current apprentice was a total Microsoft fan when he first arrived in my department. You should see the guy now :D

Return to “Other topics”