Wireless Network Refuses To Turn On in Network Settings

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dewsnow

Wireless Network Refuses To Turn On in Network Settings

Post by dewsnow »

Hi there, I'm brand new to Linux so as you might expect I have little idea of what I'm doing. I won't lie and say that I know the first thing about things that should go in the command line, because I don't. However, everything seems to be running okay so far bar one things; the blasted wifi will not turn on! I click on the networking icon, drop down to network setting, drop down to WIRELESS and everything is closed off because the off/on button won't change. And what's even stranger is that it says Aeroplane Mode is on when I go into network settings, so I turn it off. Then on my return after closing and re-opening network settings, it's magically turned itself back on again. Could this be a fault or simply just a setting that I need to alter?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Wireless Network Refuses To Turn On in Network Settings

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I have a suggestion...Could you follow this post's instructions and tell if it worked? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=92488
dewsnow

Post by dewsnow »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:I have a suggestion...Could you follow this post's instructions and tell if it worked? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=92488
All I got was this apparent nonsense:

Code: Select all

dewsnow@dewsnow-P662X ~ $     service network-manager stop
stop: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.78" (uid=1000 pid=2562 comm="stop network-manager ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Stop" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
dewsnow@dewsnow-P662X ~ $     rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
rm: remove write-protected regular file `/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state'? 
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Open terminal and type in "su"
Type in password.
NOW, try it again:
service network-manager stop
rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
service network-manager start
dewsnow

Post by dewsnow »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Open terminal and type in "su"
Type in password.
NOW, try it again:
I can't copy the code this time around because when I follow your instructions ALL networking is disabled. And when I restart, everything is back to normal again. Could this have something to do with my password not showing up as I type it into the command line? My name turns reddish once I've entered in my password, I'm not sure if this is an indication of the password going through or not? It's certainly different from last time...
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

No, don't worry, it's supposed to turn red. It means you are in "admin" mode--you can delete, copy, move, edit ANY files you want.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas though, does anyone else have any suggestions?
dewsnow

Post by dewsnow »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:No, don't worry, it's supposed to turn red. It means you are in "admin" mode--you can delete, copy, move, edit ANY files you want.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas though, does anyone else have any suggestions?
I actually may have one, despite it being a tad crude. Mint keeps deciding to change my GUI's for me whenever I log back into the computer and in one of the (normal GNOME) it says this under the wireless network drop down menu:

Wireless Networks
wireless is disabled via hardware switch

Perhaps this could mean that I need an external device?
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

There might be an actuall switch/slider on your computer that you can, well throw/slide. I've not heard of an airplane mode before but you are generally not allowed to use wifi/mobile phones in aeroplanes and hospitals and places like that because of risk of interference with more important stuff.
dewsnow

Post by dewsnow »

dagon wrote:There might be an actuall switch/slider on your computer that you can, well throw/slide. I've not heard of an airplane mode before but you are generally not allowed to use wifi/mobile phones in aeroplanes and hospitals and places like that because of risk of interference with more important stuff.
I feel like such an idiot now. Yes, the WiFi button was off after all that...

Thanks for the help guys!
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

No comment... :evil: :evil:
To other people: please check your lappy for a SWITCH or SLIDER for the Wi-Fi BEFORE posting about any issues...*sigh*... :x
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

:D

Good one...
Now please go back to your first post and add (edit) [solved] to the "Subject".
kallli

Post by kallli »

ok, i don't have a switch/slider thing on my laptop - that was one of the first things i checked since i've done that before. But what i was thinking was that maybe there was a keyboard short cut that disabled the wireless - I checked on various lists and found nothing....unless there is a super-secret code that I don't know about...
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:No comment... :evil: :evil:
To other people: please check your lappy for a SWITCH or SLIDER for the Wi-Fi BEFORE posting about any issues...*sigh*... :x
Seriously?
Since he mentioned this in his first post I think you could question your own scientific methods first, right?
dewsnow wrote:And what's even stranger is that it says Aeroplane Mode is on when I go into network settings, so I turn it off.
jlickliter83

Post by jlickliter83 »

I have Mint 13 on an HP DV9000 and my switch is doing nothing...... Wifi worked a few days ago before I installed Maya over Win7
merlinof2

Post by merlinof2 »

sagirfahmid3

Many thanks.

that removal of the network manager state was exactly what my system needed. working perfectly then just couldn't find the wireless interface. wired worked, although status icon did not display and no changes could be made through the control panel network icon, all greyed out.

your set of commands and suddenly, wifi icon reappeared on status bar and connected.

again, thanks.

Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P
Linux Mint 13 dual boot with XtraPoor
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

No problem merlinof2 :D
merlinof2

Post by merlinof2 »

sagirfahmid3,

while the script fixed the immediate problem, this remains.

problem seems to be either wireless or wired. it's the NetworkManager.state issue. I can run the above series of commands and it fixed the issue. You cannot RMB on the icon as it's either not displaying the "enable networking" or "enable wireless" choices, or the icon is gone altogether.

the commands immediately display the icon on the panel, you can see the connection working, then, a connect display.

my issue? it keeps repeating. I have to run the commands everytime I shut down the laptop computer. why is this ".state" file remaining???

is there a fix forthcoming? this seemed to start immediately after the latest kernel upgrade. are you aware of any others having the problem?

thanks in advance for any help.
P.M.s8

Post by P.M.s8 »

I'm using a Sony VPCCA Laptop, with hardware switch for WIFI. The first days after instalation I had no problems with WIFI. No I have the same problems as mentioned above. Can't deactivate airplane mode, wifi doesen't work, switch on/off doesn't show any reactions, before it worked. Turning network-manager on and off doesn't help.
Anyone any ideas?....
tom_mclaren

Post by tom_mclaren »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Open terminal and type in "su"
Type in password.
NOW, try it again:

I created an account for this forum, just to say thanks! That worked for me! :)
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

I have this problem too. I have a Lenovo G50-30 running LM 17. When I booted, it wasn't recognising the wireless card at all, so I followed the instructions in this thread and Wireless is now an option in the Networking settings window. When I try to turn the card on, the slider just slides itself back over to OFF.

I have no hardware switch for the wifi card on the laptop - there is an airplane mode on one of the function keys - pressing this toggles the airplane mode slider in the Network settings window but I can't turn the wireless adapter on when not in airplane mode.

I've tried the Network State trick above, but that doesn't seem to make it work. One oddity - when fiddling around to try and get it working before trying the Network State trick, I tried setting the wifi up as a hotspot - this hasn't helped me solve the issue, but when I do the network-manager on/off thing it comes back running as a hotspot, even when it wasn't before I turned the network manager off.

Any clues??

Return to “Networking”