Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12(SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cartoonhead1970
Level 1
Level 1

Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12(SOLVED)

Post by cartoonhead1970 »

H there, My software manager will start up and let me select software but it doesn't do anything when I authorise it. I'm wondering if this is related to to some updates that were installed last night. Are there any known issues.

Thanks for any help.

Should this be in the software section?
Last edited by cartoonhead1970 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12

Post by remoulder »

In a terminal try

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade
If there are errors copy/paste the output here.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
cartoonhead1970
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12(SOLVED)

Post by cartoonhead1970 »

Thanks that worked a treat
thedoor

Post by thedoor »

I just installed mint 12 kde a few days ago and Software Manager isn't working for me either. When I click on a program I want, nothing happens. It doesn't open a screen with info about the program, as I've seen before in Ubuntu. I've also double-clicked on the item and still nothing happens.

From looking through the forum, I've reinstalled the Software Manager and I've also done the apt update && apt upgrade, and still no cigar. But Synaptic Package Manager works normally.

Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated.
ScoobyDont

Post by ScoobyDont »

I had this problem today, and I resolved it by installing an update that was waiting on the Update Manager. It may be worth confirming that you have nothing outstanding there
xaviber76

Post by xaviber76 »

I have the same problem, and when I tried the code in the first answer, it reported this:

W: GPG error: http://archive.canonical.com oneiric Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
W: GPG error: http://security.ubuntu.com oneiric-security Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

So, what can I do now?

Thanks a lot!
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

I also have this issue with Mint 12 KDE.

For me the software manager actually start, but then it looks like it close it self after the software icon list is shown. So, no time actually do anything there.
Also the update and upgrade did not affect this. No errors while update && upgrading. Some xorg got few updates. Also no updates waiting in mints update manager.

I how ever have no real issues with this, because Mint KDE is on in my test computer where I just check out different distributions, not in actual use.
But I just report here that same issue here.
xaviber76

Post by xaviber76 »

Although it's been posted in other places I'll post here what I did to solve the BADSIG error, so people don't have to go from one place to another:

Code: Select all

sudo bash

apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
After doing this no BADSIG errors were shown and the SOFTWARE MANAGER worked fine again.

Hope this helps.
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

Hi xaviber76,

Can somebody tell us if there is any risk to perform the abovementionned commands ?? :
sudo bash

apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
because I am not an expert and i would not like to damage the installation...
Thanks !
Mendel

Post by Mendel »

NOT SOLVED for me. I get the following:

Larry-Mint apt # mv lists lists.old
mv: cannot move `lists' to `lists.old/lists': Directory not empty

I have run the rest of the steps but my basic problem remains. I can open the Software Manager, but the search freezes the program whenever I type any character. Indeed, it freezes my entire system until I force the Software Manager to close.

Any thoughts?
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

Same for me : I have performed all the aforementionned commands without any trouble, but the problem is still there, so this is NOT the solution...

Any other idea ?
Ray Stokes

Post by Ray Stokes »

I have also tried the above commands but Software Manager still closes on it's own after a few seconds. This is not solved for me :(
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

It looks like only a patch from the developpers could solve this issue....
Peterburd

Post by Peterburd »

Odd. It's working for me, and I believe my problem isn't related, since I wasn't using Software Manager.

I just installed mint12 but couldn't get the Update Manager to download any updates. It would list them, but I would get "FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE" for each download. Same using the CLI. But the steps listed here seem to be working. I'm downloading all the files I couldn't before. Then I can finally download Cinnamon, which was the goal in installing Mint12 in the first place. Synaptic Package Manager would say the dependencies were broken, when it would show Cinnamon at all. Sometimes it didn't show it. Weird. But I ramble ...
Mendel

Re: Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12 (NOT SOLVED

Post by Mendel »

I thought I might change the title from SOLVED to NOT SOLVED to attract a bit more expert advice, since many of us newbies have yet to see the error of our ways.
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

you are right: you should change it to NOT solved.

Here is a post with very useful information on this pb:

http://www.linuxmint-fr.org/forum/kde/7 ... html#77828
Mendel

Post by Mendel »

Nounours, I have posted a new thread under RE: Software manager doesn't work, Mint 12 [NOT SOLVED] in order to attract some attention. The early thread would not accept my changes to the Subject line.

Thanks for the disccusion recommendation, but my French is lacking. English, Spanish and German work, but French was too long ago, which of course is my loss.

Return to “Beginner Questions”