linux mint and nvidia gt440

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slidingpimp

linux mint and nvidia gt440

Post by Slidingpimp »

hi. today i installed linux mint through windows 7. so i rebooted computer and tried to get into mint, but no success, mint didn't boot. so i tried to figure out what was the problem. after one hour google search i came up with idea, that i could try to boot mint with intergrated chip, so i did it and it worked. but i'm not satisfied, i want to get my gt440 to work with mint. i downloaded some drivers but they didn't work. so i rlly need help, anybody knows what's the problem here? thanks in advance,
slidingpimp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: linux mint and nvidia gt440

Post by AlbertP »

You should be able to boot recovery mode > low graphics mode. The driver you need is the nvidia-current package from the repository.

Edit: Oops, I confused the GT 440 with the MX 440 from ten years ago... I've corrected the post.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Slidingpimp

Post by Slidingpimp »

ok i tried to boot it with save graphics mode, but still no success.
and picture of what happened:
boot stops right there :)

i tried to instal ubuntu with this graphics card too, but same problem, it didn't boot...that's why i tried to instal mint..
thanks for answer anyway ;)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Have you already tried installing the nvidia-current driver using the integrated chip, and then booting using the nvidia card?

By the way, do you know the make and model of the motherboard?
Slidingpimp

Post by Slidingpimp »

tried that, doesn't work... my motherboard is ruby - 9716VGAR, this one http://www.portwell.nl/products/RUBY-9716VGAR.html
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Make sure the GT 440 card is also enabled in the BIOS. However, if you already see your BIOS logo on the GT 440 after turning of the computer, the BIOS is usually already configured correctly.
Slidingpimp

Post by Slidingpimp »

it is enabled in bios...and i really don't know what is going on, i just can't get mint to run with gt440 :shock: i had nvidia 8800gt before and it worked great with ubuntu but it's broken now...
Slidingpimp

Post by Slidingpimp »

so anyway, today i was trying to get mint to work but still the same sh*t. but i managed to get here: http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vmcjo.jpg
and after that: http://oi43.tinypic.com/28l82hd.jpg
that "load fallback graphics driver" is maybe something we could use to fix it, i don't know if i'm honest :D
and my xorg document is empty (!?) i tried to fix some drivers there but yeah, i't is empty :)
greetings
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run sudo nvidia-xconfig in the command prompt of the first image. It'll write a xorg.conf file for your GT 440.
By the way, did you use the same PCIe slot for both cards?

Return to “Installation & Boot”