LM12 KDE problem?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gerhardy

LM12 KDE problem?

Post by gerhardy »

Does anyone have a solution to the Sofware Manager crashing after a few seconds?

I have been running both LM12 KDE and Netrunner 4.1 (both updated to KDE 4.8 ) for a while now and I am finding that Netrunner is more polished and stable than LM 12 KDE.

In LM12 KDE, the software manager still crashes after 10 seconds or so and there are Nepomuk and Akonadi issues as well. Hopefully, once LM KDE matures, it will solve these issues and push the envelope, but for now Netrunner is the better distro on my system.

Give Netrunner a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The alliance between MINT and NETRUNNER bodes very well indeed for the future of KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Knusperkeks

Re: LM12 KDE problem?

Post by Knusperkeks »

I dont wanna defend KDE but MOST of the issues are Distri issues....4.8 runs like a charm and I even have a quite unique setup. I recommend chakra, i would take it myself...unfurtunatly i cant (work). KDE integration just needs love chakra shows this (very small Distri which managed to climb up in Distrowatch quit fast)

You just cant make KDE responsible for "halfass" releases. As i said before run chakra in a VM and u will see the difference between a "full" KDE Distri and the rest.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

I also can vouch for the quality of Chakra. It's the purest KDE distro out there and even comes with proprietary graphics drivers. KDE 4.8 when left in it's intended state is rock solid and though I've had no issues with Mint 12's KDE, it does sully the waters with tons of non-KDE and 'buntu cruft that is not easily removable. Arch (upon which Chakra was based originally) is also a great way to go for KDE 4.8, as you only add as much or as little as you need to the core install.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I've been running openSUSE 12.1 KDE since December when I got tired of waiting for something to happen here. I did a 4.8 upgrade after it came out. I haven't had any clitches at all. Like I've written here before, it is boring. Nothing fails. It just works like it should.

We KDE users here were told repeatedly by some Gnome users while we were waiting for the promised LM12 KDE, that Linux Mint is a Gnome distribution. The other desktop environments are just after thoughts. From what I've seen, that is true.

Knusperkeks made a comment in his second paragraph that I can agree with, even if I wouldn't use the language quite as strongly.

If you want a KDE distribution where you can feel like a geek by finding workarounds to get things to work as they should, this is the place to be as you've found. If you want a KDE distribution that works smoothly, I recommend finding one where that is the prime focus of the distribution.

Chris
gerhardy

Post by gerhardy »

Thank you for the suggestions and insights.

I had tried Chakra a while back, but had trouble with BURG, firewalls and printer set ups. I see that they have gone back to Grub along with some other improvements so I'll give it another try. The idea of semi rolling release is also compelling.

I had been using OpenSUSE before that whole Microsoft debacle. I'm still gun shy as I do not trust the "new" Novel c/w Mono.

One of the main advantages of Kubuntu based distros is the access to a huge software base. When I was using OpenSUSE, it seemed that a lot of the lesser known packages were only available for Ubuntu. This may have changed, however.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I've used open suse a bit and it seems to me that there is a huge selection of software, but you spend hours trying to find it among the dozens of repos .
Then everyone says to only enable four repos, but the stuff you're looking for isn't in any of them. The package management is complicated and very time consuming.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I suspect it is a matter of familiarity. openSUSE guides you along extremely well to ensure you don't install something without all the dependencies. You can go ahead and install it, but you are warned ahead of time. Perhaps if I had something like that when I tried to uninstall two programs from LM12, I'd still be using LM.

openSUSE offers something else that is about as easy as you can find for installing software. Take a look at this. It is pretty full proof. And if you use it, you won't break your system.
http://software.opensuse.org/search

Chris
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

Knusperkeks wrote:You just cant make KDE responsible for "halfass" releases. As i said before run chakra in a VM and u will see the difference between a "full" KDE Distri and the rest.
I hate to say it, but I agree with your statement. It seems like this release was something they just "had" to do because of their new agreement with Blue Systems, or whatever it's called. Even though it took a long time to go from RC to Final Release, it still seems rushed. I understand though that the Mint team isn't primarily concerned with KDE and it's KDE's own fault that they now have to play catch up to Gnome.

I hope that the Mint team gives the #13 release of KDE the kind of love that an LTS release deserves.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I'm not sure how this would work out...it is sort of like the chicken and the egg.
  • * LM12 KDE was released on January 27th. http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/12/
    * The Software Manager appears not to work for many people after installation, so getting updates could be a problem.
    * No change to the "stable" ISO has been made to correct a major flaw like this.
I totally agree with guimaster and Knusperkeks. DistroWatch's page hit ranking makes it seem like LM is the best around because the forum gets so many hits. Yet how much of the traffic is because the released versions aren't complete and users are looking for answers?

I seriously doubt there will be any difference in the quality of LM 13 when it comes out. For a difference to happen, something has to change and it seems like the team hasn't the resources to do more than get a release out, then move to the next version.

Chris
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have no real problems with the Mint 12 KDE x64 release. The Nepomuk error is easily corrected by turning it on in System Settings. I used Synaptic to update my install, (installed all updates) and the Software Manager works just like it should. I did have to tell Thunderbird to use Firefox to open links but that was very minor and updates might have caused that. Overall I like the 64 bit KDE release, it runs nice.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

exploder wrote:I have no real problems with the Mint 12 KDE x64 release. The Nepomuk error is easily corrected by turning it on in System Settings. I used Synaptic to update my install, (installed all updates) and the Software Manager works just like it should. I did have to tell Thunderbird to use Firefox to open links but that was very minor and updates might have caused that. Overall I like the 64 bit KDE release, it runs nice.
I think you are in the minority to have Software Manager working, but who knows. Actually since I updated to KDE 4.8 I haven't tried it. One sec...

Nope, it's still crashing...

Return to “Software & Applications”