If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would it b

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig100
Level 3
Level 3

Re: If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would

Post by craig100 »

The ability to have both panel bars at the bottom, as you could with Gnome 2. One for the menu button, launchers and systray stuff and the other for minimised windows.
strangeland

Post by strangeland »

I'm liking Cinnamon so far. But here are some things I'd like to see:

My main complaint is the menu. It doesn't have the "warmth" of the Gnome 2 Mint Menu. Also, I feel that it is too big. I'd like to have a menu half the size it currently is. Either make it very easy to customize, or have some alternative Menu's to choose from.

I'd also like to see Wobbly Windows. Alt-Tab coverflow switcher was great, but now it doesn't work for me since upgrades in Cinnamon. Desktop Cube was a nice feature too. Not all compiz stuff was just eye candy, they had a usefulness to them.

In Gnome 2 in my music folder each music file would play when i hovered my mouse over it.
valtiel

Post by valtiel »

I really hope some of the more prominent Compiz features will eventually make it into Cinnamon. With the impending update for LMDE I feel like I'm really going to miss my Compiz Cube desktop and it doesn't seem like there is a compatible alternative for it at the moment.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

My request would be a shorter delay between clicking the menu button and having the menu come up.

While the devs might initially consider working on this, I suspect the proper response would actually be to look at the specs of my two systems, laugh and ask, "Doesn't everything else work slowly too?" :grin:
Bus

Post by Bus »

The possibility to show the time in different time zones in the time-and-date pop-up.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Now that my wish has been fulfilled, I can surely make a proposal; I think applets, themes and extensions should carry a visible version number on Cinnamnon site so that users could quickly know if there is some advantage to download then again.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

The Devolpers need to develope a time machine so that all the develoment and documentation work would be done, right now. Enjoy
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

Morrog wrote:dynamic tiling of the windows via shortcuts (like in compiz grid, but better even more like in openbox' GrowToEdge which is based on touching the edges of the other windows).

this really makes me still use openbox on my Mint machine, because it allows for fast resizing and arranging all the windows (combined with moving the windows around via shortcuts)
Yes that would be great. With this feature the mouse would be unnecessary for a lot of programs. This could be combined with shortcuts to run/reopen/focus the programs from the task bar, to get a very efficient keyboard based word flow. Thanks for the openbox reference, will give it a try.
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

I really like the applet implementation in Cinnamon 1.3, and the way you can move them around in the task bar. My ONE request would be to have a similar flexibility with the program tabs in the taskbar (that is the list of running/minimized programs). Would be awesome if one could move tabs around and combine them in a meaningful way, either manually of by scripting some logical system. This could be combined with some sort of "super-tabs" (tabs containing other tabs), where I e.g. could setup all my started terminal windows to be placed in the same "super-tab", or even better collect all my "busy" terminals (running some gui) in a super-tab. With some scripting support I should be able to make a shortcuts that start several programs related to some overall project, automatically place the individual windows and tabs in a pre-specified way.
Mindstormscreator

Post by Mindstormscreator »

I do agree with others about making a unified and diverse window manager, but currently my one real request is to fix the problem with Skype notifications. I use Skype a lot, and I heard that when Skype displays a notification in the tray, instead a Skype chat pops up right in front of the user, and if the user is typing something the text will start going into the Skype chat window :lol:
Apparently it worked fine in Cinnamon 1.1...
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

I have to say, the menu. Old menu would be fine, this one is a steb back compared with old mintMenu.
I do like the Unity menu or KDE Kick Of menu, something like that would be a step forword from old mintMenu
takis123

Post by takis123 »

I would like to see in cinnamon the small window previews at mouseover on the open windows at taskbar, such as in windows vista and 7. It was an option in compiz, too
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@takis123
you have that option with this applet
takis123

Post by takis123 »

Yes, the applet is an option, but I think it must be by default enabled, or an option to enable it, rather than having to download an applet. It is very easy but it is an option that can be in cinnamon-settings by default. :)

I prefer this function not as it is in windows 7, but as it is in windows vista (This is how it worked with compiz, too). I dont like an icon on the taskbar, of the open window, but the whole rectangular with the icon and title, as it is by default without the applet. I cant find how to adjust this at the applet
TomANJ

Post by TomANJ »

Correct the ability to re-size the main panel when the layout is flipped and the main panel is on the bottom. The panel at 25 pixels is way too small on larger monitors at HD resolutions. Altering scripts to increase the height of the panel and icons is only effective when the main panel is at the top. When the panel is at the bottom, any expansion is in a downward direction. Off screen.
VoodooLoveDog

Post by VoodooLoveDog »

I have a few, but a lot of the features I'd like to see are already in Compiz (Wobby Windows, Cube, Windows Placement, Windows Size) Compiz support would be awesome!
Osolo

Post by Osolo »

I would REALLY like the old gnome menu as an option. I use a small laptop and the current menu is very large taking up most of my screen when I drop it open. Ubuntu 12.04 beta dropped gnome classic(doesn't matter too much since I am a mint person) showing us that classic is a lost cause. The classic gnome menu is simple and easy and I miss having the option to to have either menu depending on which PC I am in front of...
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

I want my weather applet back with current conditions, 7 day forecast and radar. I need it now as we are expecting 7" inches of snow this afternoon. Btw, who dreams up those god awful color schemes with no contrast where you can't read anything. Not all of us are young with 20/20 vision.
Cello61

Post by Cello61 »

Right mouse click options on the items in the menu gives the ability to do some things as putting a shortcut at te taskbar for example. It would be nice to have the option for de-installing applications like we had in the Gnome 2 menu. Just an idea for a new release ? My keywords are " Keep it simple". Cinnamon fits completely to that !! Keep up the good work and thanks to the Mint Team.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Yes....I would request that everything be made configurable like gnome 2 and return the admin options to the dropdown box when taking ownership of files & folders, the ability of the panels opacity (light or dark, with a slide bar like gnome 2).....it's so simple to implement...you should be able to have all the abilities in gnome 3 like you do with 2....it should be that difficult...unless you're someone who doesn't want to listen to the requests of others to make life a little easier, instead of so complicated....cheers

Andrew

Return to “Cinnamon”