SolusOS RC1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SolusOS RC1

Post by KittyKatt »

Get that loopback patch in I gave you? :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Ikey wrote:sneekylinux just did a review of the RC1 on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhP_8XddWhA
Woo! Seems to be a pretty good review. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

For anyone wanting a Debian Squeeze based system with new versions of apps and multimedia out of the box without having to tweak everything yourself, SolusOS in my humble opinion is THE best option out there. It has sensible defaults and some really cool options.

End of shameless plug. :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Ikey wrote:So, for those wanting the Gnome 2 experience, why not try out SolusOS? It's using
Debian Stable for a base, a custom built 3.0.0-pae kernel with BFS patch and preemption
model enforced by default.
But... the next stable release won't be using Gnome 2 base, and I guess you are going to update your OS when Debian 7.0 is out, aren't you? :)
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Monsta wrote:
Ikey wrote:So, for those wanting the Gnome 2 experience, why not try out SolusOS? It's using
Debian Stable for a base, a custom built 3.0.0-pae kernel with BFS patch and preemption
model enforced by default.
But... the next stable release won't be using Gnome 2 base, and I guess you are going to update your OS when Debian 7.0 is out, aren't you? :)
We will indeed be sticking to the GNOME2 experience and most likely to a GNOME2 codebase (ie forking it to keep it up to modern standards). :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KittyKatt wrote:We will indeed be sticking to the GNOME2 experience and most likely to a GNOME2 codebase (ie forking it to keep it up to modern standards). :)
Should we expect a second MATE? :shock:
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Monsta wrote:
KittyKatt wrote:We will indeed be sticking to the GNOME2 experience and most likely to a GNOME2 codebase (ie forking it to keep it up to modern standards). :)
Should we expect a second MATE? :shock:
I, personally, am expecting at least a couple more GNOME2 forks to turn up due to it being basically thrown out the window. The GNOME2 codebase is pretty awful, but I think we might be able to work with it.

When ikey drops in, he can feel free to correct anything I'm saying. I'm certainly not the ipso de facto messenger here. :)
PietroTux88

Post by PietroTux88 »

but SOLUS OS is debian?is available for 64 bit is rolling release?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I have three (hopefully interesting) questions for you Ikey:

1) during it's 2 year run (debian stable) would you be updating to newer versions of applications in your distro?
2) when debian stable goes gnome 3, what would be the likely desktop environment for SolisOs: Cinnamon, Gnome3 shell or what?
3) Oh yes, and regarding the installer you use: does it have the simple option of being able to install it completely over what you have on your drive now, and also "side by side" as ubuntu's and mint main's installer does....or do you have to manually partition (as on lmde) in order to install it?

Last edited by craig10x on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Just #3 that i just added to my questions....you were typing your answer to me while i was amending mine :lol:

PS: looked at sneeky's preview on you tube: very nice! :D
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Ikey wrote:Won't be anything like MATE. This project will actually go somewhere.

I'm working on the 64-bit edition tonight, I want RC2 out in the next couple of days.
I already have a lot done with regards to driver installations, i.e. Jockey porting.

SolusOS is going to send shockwaves, let me tell you :)
Is there a problem with the MATE project?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Very good, Ikey...thanks...

yes i was hoping you would be adding that....makes it easier for newbies and guys like me who always have "fun" (lol) with doing manual partitioning...i always like using a preformatted set up option like offered on ubuntu and mint main edition...(with the choices of "wipe your disc and install this over it" and "install side by side with what you got on there now") :wink:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Definitely will be giving SolusOS a try. I like tinkering with the various Debian versions but I always seem to come back to my fave setup, the old LMDE running off Squeeze repos.

Looking forward to SolusOS!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Ikey wrote:Thanks :) I'm just in the process of porting Jockey.. :)
(sigh) Porting Jockey. Such beautiful words to my ears. Not that installing the (in my case) Nvidia driver and associated dependencies is that much of hassle but but I'm getting on in years you know. And the older I get the more I need things to be simple and easy. :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
eric k

Post by eric k »

Definitely keeping my eye on this project; once the final gets released I'll add it to my rotating cast of distros that I install and tinker with on a spare partition or two. Even when I don't run them as my daily OS, I like to "stay current" with what's going on out there in Linux land.

So Debian Stable-based core, with up to date application versions, media codecs preinstalled, and some custom kernel/config work? Sounds appealing!

Side note: the website looks great, solid and professional. Thank you. I've seen plenty of newly launched distros whose sites looked like the project was being developed by two guys on random nights and weekends. Which isn't so much a problem for me, but when trying to convince a friend or co-worker to give Linux a fair hearing, these things do matter! :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Ikey: just an observation...i ran your r/c on live session and even after adding Chrome browser (which i use and love) and even the ms-core fonts (like i always do) the web surfing didn't like the ubuntu font rendering, everything looked more like typical debian font rendering...i was getting the feeling that you hadn't yet added the ubuntu patching for that...

Also: i had to left click to get to the mouse settings to activate "touchpad tap" on for my laptop...i have noticed that debian systems never have that activated by default...wonder if there is a way you can have that preset by default...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Very good, Ikey :)
I do like the ubuntu fonts very much...though i use them only for application windows and the like...there is an extension for chrome that makes all the web pages have ubuntu fonts also but i reverted back to using ms core fonts on my chrome browsing...

As far as the ubuntu look on web surfing...well, i guess if you take a look at lmde (the way Clem has it patched) and run Chrome you will see what i mean by the "ubuntu look" for font rendering on web page surfing...

I don't think it's just which fonts you use...seems to be something else that gives it that certain "look" which one sees on ubuntu, and all the ubuntu based distros (their own and others)...which debian normally does not have... :wink:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I use the Liberation fonts in Firefox in my LMDE-Squeeze install. It looks better than Windows.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I have been running Ikey's SolusOS (RC1) for a bit now, and am very pleased with it.
Gnome 2.3 just cant be beat to me. I do have a partition with LMDE tracking Stable with Debian Backports which is very very nice, but its not an offical Mint product. Its a bit of a mis-mash of Stable and Testing the way I have it set up. I dont expect it to be as stable as a straight Debian Stable.

But with SolusOS you get a super stable OS based on Debian Stable with the latest aps, and many new very cutting edge features as well.
  • 'Jockey' for easy driver installs through a GUI.
  • RGBA support for fancy graphics (Compiz, Emerald too)
  • Real nice fonts rendering (Ikey has his own recipe, but we will have better Ubuntu based in the near future)
  • A custom kernel optomized for desktop use.
  • BURG, Hulu, latest Firefox/Thunderbird 10, LibreOffice
  • Codecs ( My Hi-Def full screen videos play perfectly, sound is very good)
  • There will be some stock 'Conky's
New developments coming almost daily.
This OS is a treat.

Last edited by GeneC on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Kinda busy right now so I'm waiting for the next RC to be available. Want to try this out for sure.

Return to “Chat about Linux”