Making Linux Mint the default in dual boot configuration

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SethMould

Making Linux Mint the default in dual boot configuration

Post by SethMould »

I've been trialling Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) in dual boot. I hope this post will indicate what I think about it.

When I boot my laptop, I have two choices:

Microsoft Windows
Linux Mint

with Windows preselected. After a few seconds, it boots into Windows. So lately, I've been hitting DownArrow to select Linux Mint, and hitting Enter.

I do need Windows sometimes, for example to find out why my HP1000 printer woudn't print. Windows gave me an error saying the Black cartridge had failed (after one page).

However, I'd like to change the order so that I:

Boot my laptop
Make some coffee
Come back to see Linux loaded

Seth Mould
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Making Linux Mint the default in dual boot configuration

Post by marsh20 »

Seth,

Go into Start up manager and chage the default to Mint and adjust the time to do this as well if you want.
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
SethMould

Post by SethMould »

marsh20 wrote:Seth,

Go into Start up manager and chage the default to Mint and adjust the time to do this as well if you want.
Another dumbass question:

How do I 'Go into Start up manager'?
tomast

Post by tomast »

Does Mint 12 even have a Start up manager ?
Last I knew , it did not have one... ???
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Seth,

Sorry, trying to assist from a non Linux machine. ave a look at this link http://ubuntu-install.blogspot.com/2010 ... tings.html
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hi SethMould,
you can manually edit the Grub2 file in Gedit. Look at file system > boot > grub > grub.cfg. That's what generates the screen you see. Notice the statement that grub.cfg is generated from file system > etc > default > grub, so open that file as administrator. You'll see something like this
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT="Linux Mint 11, 2.6.38-8-generic (/dev/sda3)"
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET="true"
obviously your GRUB_DEFAULT will reference Windows and its partition. So all you need to do is substitute the reference to Linux. Just copy and paste the exact statement which you'll see under 'menu entry' of grub.cfg. It's the bit between and including the quotation marks.
Then save that grub file, and from a terminal run

Code: Select all

update-grub
That's it! Hope this helps.
SethMould

Post by SethMould »

Thanks HughT, but I'm scared of poking around like that. And your example quotes Linux Mint 11. Maybe this should become a nice-to-have, for newbies anyway. Thanks for your answer; I'll keep it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

See 3c in this guide

3c. Manage grub settings with Grub Customizer
The Ubuntu default "Startup Manager" is something bordering on useless and wisely has been dropped in Mint 12, but that leaves Mint without a grub editing GUI. The best available grub manager application I know of is Grub Customizer:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

With it you can easily choose which entries you want to appear in the grub menu, rename them, set timeout, set default boot, set kernel parameters, change text and background colour and more.

You set default boot entry here (click Preferences):

Return to “Beginner Questions”