Any news on Linux Mint 12 LXDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Any news on Linux Mint 12 LXDE?

Post by nunol »

Mr Green wrote:Cannot wait for 64 bit version then I will be back to running Mint again 8)
I don't think there will be a 64-bit version of Mint 12 LXDE but you can ask Clem in the comments section of this blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1930
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

I dont think it would be to hard to make LXDE for 64 bit..
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

w2ibc wrote:I dont think it would be to hard to make LXDE for 64 bit..
Then get your hands dirty and work on it. xD
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You can start with Mint XFCE 64-bit, install the LXDE desktop, add the Mint 12 LXDE theme and the programs you want and remove the XFCE stuff you don't like.
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

Mr Green,

To the best of my knowledge there will be no 64 bit version of Lisa LXDE.

For that you would want to go with either 64 bit gnome or debian and install after-market LXDE.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I just did that, installed LXDE on my main linux mint 12 PC because I was fed up with gnome 3 memory usage (and general slowness with my old hard drive).

it's pretty nice, once I figured the wallpapers are in /usr/share/backgrounds
I had to install obconf and/or lxappearance, and lxtask.
the system remembered gnome-terminal was the default terminal emulator, it didn't install lxterminal actually.

this is great, I'm using lxde with "better"-grade software somewhat.

now downloading the LXDE RC just to check what default software there is and how much a recent midori is usable.
did you go for abiword for instance. abiword is great but managed to mangle presentation of .rtf files so I consider it as unreliable and use libreoffice instead.
what's the default music player?, audacious would be great as it straightforward to use, no "content library" that slows it down and add complexity.

users with 512MB ram may want to install libre office and maybe firefox.
chemicalfan

Post by chemicalfan »

Can someone point me to the schedule for the full release of 12? I.e. when it comes out of RC and into general release
I know it won't be exact, just a rough idea would be good
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

chemicalfan wrote:Can someone point me to the schedule for the full release of 12? I.e. when it comes out of RC and into general release
I know it won't be exact, just a rough idea would be good
The best rough answer is "WIR".
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

baptiste wrote:I just did that, installed LXDE on my main linux mint 12 PC because I was fed up with gnome 3 memory usage (and general slowness with my old hard drive).

it's pretty nice, once I figured the wallpapers are in /usr/share/backgrounds
I had to install obconf and/or lxappearance, and lxtask.
the system remembered gnome-terminal was the default terminal emulator, it didn't install lxterminal actually.

this is great, I'm using lxde with "better"-grade software somewhat.

now downloading the LXDE RC just to check what default software there is and how much a recent midori is usable.
did you go for abiword for instance. abiword is great but managed to mangle presentation of .rtf files so I consider it as unreliable and use libreoffice instead.
what's the default music player?, audacious would be great as it straightforward to use, no "content library" that slows it down and add complexity.

users with 512MB ram may want to install libre office and maybe firefox.
I've been playing with Lisa LXDE in a virtual box.

It came with Firefox standard, not Midori. Perhaps you're confusing this with the new release of Watt OS 5?

It comes with Exaile instead of Banshee. It's lighter but I can't get the ipod plugin to work properly.

I prefer Gedit over leafpad. I like the autosave feature and tabbed docs are more intuitive.

I wish Lisa LXDE would come with lxrandr out of the box like Lubuntu. I remember reading from a noob who hooked Mint 11 LXDE up to his TV and couldn't read anything because it went like 1920x1280 out of the box. LXrandr is so small I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be included.

I prefer LibreOffice as well but fully understand why Lisa LXDE would ship with abiword & gnumeric. They are just so much smaller and lighter.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I had read something midori-related somewhere and thought it would be the default browser.
but I've tried it and it crashes consistently on a simple website. I used the similar Arora a bit before, and liked it a lot but it would crash sometimes and went unmaintained. small Webkit browsers are nice but not an easy task for their developers.

on a low grade system you can still use firefox, just refrain to load over ten web pages or so.

leafpad is nice, it's like notepad but with a few more features.
exaile, I've noticed you can use the "files" tab if you don't want to fiddle with "music collections", so in effect it's a rather light-weight player with a built-in file manager. that's nice.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Running Lisa LXDE RC in an old laptop and it works really nice.
But it still lacks some important things, specifically user management and power management.
It's not very problematic, for power policies you can install xfce-power-manager (gnome-power-manager doesn't work), but for the user management you are forced to do all the work at a terminal. On the other hand, you can also install gnome-system-tools (with --no-install-recommends) so you can add/delete/modify user accounts and groups with a gui (and create samba shares, change date/time settings and a few other things) but you will be pulling a lot of other gnome stuff.
Something I immediately replaced after installation was lxdm, it looks awful to me. Downloaded lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter, edited a pair of .conf files and now the login screen looks beautiful:
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

esteban1uy wrote:Running Lisa LXDE RC in an old laptop and it works really nice.
But it still lacks some important things, specifically user management and power management.
I suppose you missed reading the release notes for the RC:
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_lxde.php
Power manager and laptop battery
This RC release is missing a power manager and is therefore not showing any laptop battery indicator. This will be addressed in the stable release.

User manager missing

This RC release does not feature any user management tool. User management can be performed from the command line. This will be addressed in the stable release.
BTW - seems like there's a new ISO in testing atm:
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/113
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

gosa wrote:
Sorry for quoting myself, but this one deserves a new post:

That above ISO has been approved for stable release...
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

gosa wrote:
gosa wrote:
Sorry for quoting myself, but this one deserves a new post:

That above ISO has been approved for stable release...

Yes.
You can download it at http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... -32bit.iso

(Let's see how they resolved the user/power management)

EDIT: xfce4-power-manager + gnome-system-tools... so we have a little "easter egg" (thanks to gnome-system-tools), type shares-admin at a terminal and you'll see.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

Thank you for the link.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

esteban1uy wrote:I downloaded lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter, edited a pair of *.conf files and now the login screen looks beautiful
It looks really decent. Would you be so kind and upload the configuration files?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Ikem wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:I downloaded lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter, edited a pair of *.conf files and now the login screen looks beautiful
It looks really decent. Would you be so kind and upload the configuration files?
Ok, here's the whole procedure:

After installing Lisa LXDE and its 204 updates (!) go to synaptic and install lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter packages.
At certain point you'll be asked to choose the default session manager, select lightdm.
DO NOT REBOOT OR LOGOFF!
Now open pcmanfm and navigate to /etc/lightdm/ folder, go to tools and re-open it as root.
Then edit lightdm.conf to look like this:

Code: Select all

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
user-session=Mint-LXDE
allow-guest=false
And lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf to this:

#
# background = Background file to use, either an image path or a color (e.g. #772953)
# theme-name = GTK+ theme to use
# font-name = Font to use
# xft-antialias = Whether to antialias Xft fonts (true or false)
# xft-dpi = Resolution for Xft in dots per inch (e.g. 96)
# xft-hintstyle = What degree of hinting to use (hintnone, hintslight, hintmedium, or hintfull)
# xft-rgba = Type of subpixel antialiasing (none, rgb, bgr, vrgb or vbgr)
# show-language-selector (true or false)
#
[greeter]
background=/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-lisa/pr09studio_nature.png
theme-name=Mint-Z
icon-theme-name=Mint-X
font-name=Ubuntu 10
xft-antialias=true
xft-dpi=96
xft-hintstyle=hintslight
xft-rgba=rgb
And now you can reboot.

EDIT: and if you want autologin, just add the following lines to lightdm.conf (user your own user login name):

autologin-user=your_user_login
autologin-user-timeout=0
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

esteban1uy wrote:Here's the whole procedure
Thank you. :>
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

esteban1uy wrote:Here's the whole procedure
I wrote a script to automate the process.

If you wanna use them, open a terminal and type:

sh install-lightdm-gtk-greeter.sh
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Official release: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1937

If possible, use the torrent and keep seeding.

Return to “Software & Applications”