Installing LMDE partitions in separate drives.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fonsopr

Installing LMDE partitions in separate drives.

Post by fonsopr »

Hello,

I just got a 16 gb ssd, and was thinking of installing it into my dell xps m1210's optical bay. Would I be able to install my home folder on the hdd and the rest of the partitions in the sdd? (if not with LMDE at least with the regular mint?)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Installing LMDE partitions in separate drives.

Post by DataMan »

I don't think so.

As I recall from the installer, you have to select a drive as the first step. Based on this selection, you then proceed to select from the partition(s) available on that specific drive.

If you want to expend the energy (value added ?) you could install /home on the same drive as /. Post installation, you could do the messy of configuring a new /home on drive B and all of the associated changes required to make that happen (ie. /etc/fstab).

My thoughts,

-DataMan
fonsopr

Post by fonsopr »

Thanks mate, does the OS need the /home folder to boot?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

If you identify a specific partition for "/" during installation, then by default /home will be installed there. As an option during installation, on the same h/d (like sda), you can identify a different partition for /home. The limitation is that you cannot jump hard drives to assign /home etc. during installation.

Again, there may be other solutions than the above. This is based on my first hand experience with the Mint Debian installer

-DataMan
fonsopr

Post by fonsopr »

Thanks again!

Return to “LMDE Archive”