UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
spazatk

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by spazatk »

Just upgraded from UP3. Everything seemed to go fine except my themes have gone to hell. I tried installing the Atolm-gk3 theme in /usr/share/themes and choosing it. Unfortunately. the theme refuses to work in firefox, chrome, synaptic, eclipse, or libreoffice. They all look awful now:http://i.imgur.com/GQ6Kt.png
Anyone else experience this or know what is going on? The problem persists in cinnamon and normal gnome.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@spazatk,
the problem is the broken gtk2-engines-murrine shipped with lmde

Code: Select all

amadeu@zerozero:~$ apt policy gtk2-engines-murrine
gtk2-engines-murrine:
  Installed: 0.98.1.1-3
  Candidate: 0.98.1.1-3
  Version table:
 *** 0.98.1.1-3 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.90.3+git20100323-0ubuntu3 0
        700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import amd64 Packages
the v. installed by default is 0.90 and you'll want the 0.98 shipped by debian
SOC

Post by SOC »

HI, All,

I upgraded to UP4 today. After upgrading, my thunderbird is removed. That's not a big problem since I got it again after reinstalling.

The critical problem for me is that I cannot set my bluetooth speaker as an output device of my sound setting. The speaker is paired with my computer and successfully connected, but it is not identified as an output device while I try to configure it.

I tried to reinstall pulseaudio-module-bluebooth again, but it doesn't help. Does anybody know how to correct the problem?

PS. I don't why I can't have the pulseaudio plugin in blueman clicked, no matter how many times I click it.
screenshot.png
twa

Post by twa »

Hi all,
have a doubt..
After changing sources to incoming I ran the updated and everything is apparently running nicely.
also installed Cinnamon..no problems.
is UP4 installed ?
see screenshots
whirly

Post by whirly »

/home/gbus/Desktop/Screenshot at 2012-03-03 12:43:20.png
@twa nope
try sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

i think your sources look ok
spazatk

Post by spazatk »

zerozero wrote:@spazatk,
the problem is the broken gtk2-engines-murrine shipped with lmde

amadeu@zerozero:~$ apt policy gtk2-engines-murrine
gtk2-engines-murrine:
  Installed: 0.98.1.1-3
  Candidate: 0.98.1.1-3
  Version table:
 *** 0.98.1.1-3 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.90.3+git20100323-0ubuntu3 0
        700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian/import amd64 Packages
the v. installed by default is 0.90 and you'll want the 0.98 shipped by debian
Thanks zerozero. I came to that conclusion as well after a lot of angry experimentation too. I ended up downloading the newer version from here http://packages.debian.org/sid/gtk2-engines-murrine. It seemed to work perfectly.
Now I just have the age-old cursor theme issue... I had previously solved it with a index.theme file in /usr/share/icons/default, but that no longer does the trick. I also tried doing an

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
But that didn't work either. I've set it to the cursor I want in every place I can think of, but the problem still persists.

For synaptic I had to run gnome-tweak-tool as root and change the theme from there. That seems to have fixed synaptic's theme issues.
Last edited by spazatk on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

twa wrote:Hi all,
have a doubt..
After changing sources to incoming I ran the updated and everything is apparently running nicely.
also installed Cinnamon..no problems.
is UP4 installed ?
see screenshots
Well, yes and no. The "testing" (pre-release) version of UP4 is installed but not the final release. The "incoming" repositories are for those who wish to test the next Update Pack before it's released and provide feedback and bug reports. That's why you're not seeing any release info on UP4 yet as feedback from testers is still being gathered.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
twa

Post by twa »

kmb42vt,
thxs for clarif. understood.
my sys still running nicely.
:D
yro

Post by yro »

Im waiting for some updated ISOs for LMDE with UPDATEPACK4.

Is there some schedule for it to be released?
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I was disappointed with the seeming lack of any Mint integration in this UP. No Minty themes, none of the Mint tools are integrated. It's really the same experiance as going from LMDE UP3 straight to Debian Testing.
rknize
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rknize »

This was a big upstream change. Hopefully it will get more Minty before it is released into latest. It is still missing MATE, as well.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

Alright, I've installed LMDE Xfce (32-bit) and added the up4 sources. Maybe not the smartest thing to do since this is my first experience with Debian or Xfce, but what a hell.

After about 1.5 GB of updates downloaded, one thing I have to report is that I appear to have lost Software Manager. Trying to install it through synaptic gives me "Depends: python-aptdaemon but it is not going to be installed" error.

I have other issues (of course), but I don't know if they are caused by the updates - some applications (such as video player) are not using Xfce themes; audio control in Xfce is a mess (moving the slider in Banshee even a millimetre moves the master slider in the mixer by a large amount - my ears are still ringing from that discovery).
The Diamond Geezer

Post by The Diamond Geezer »

Hello,

I have LMDE Gnome with UP3 Latest installed on my main rig (AMD X2 3800+, 2GB RAM, NVidia 3800 GS) since June 2011 and all in all it's been a very satisfactory experience.

I also run LMDE Incoming as a VM on VirtualBox 4.1.8 for testing purposes. I brought it up to UP4 on two occasions and I have to voice some concerns, since this UP "broke" this virtual install, twice.

After applying all updates and choosing to replace existing packages when prompted, the system (VM) was subject to strange behaviours. Although I could see some UI changes in Nautilus, I was unable to even restart or shut down the system. Once the UP was applied, I didn't get any messages saying "Successful", Synaptics simply disappeared. When clicking on "Shutdown" or "Restart" from the Mint menu, nothing happens. I had to force shut down from the VirtualBox menu.

When I boot, I can choose the new 3.2 kernel, I can see that the "usual" modules load, however I am greeted by tty, and therefore cannot even launch Gnome Shell.

How does this UP play with VMs? When I launch Fedore 15, at least Gnome reverts to Fallback mode, this is not even the case here, any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: Reverted to a "UP3" state. Maxed the allocated graphic memory to 128 MB and switched on the 3D acceleration. Upgraded VirtualBox host to 4.1.10 and installed the latest Guest Additions BEFORE downloading the latest packages from Incoming. Proceeded with downloads. Accepted all the changes at the prompts. Right after UP4 was installed, re-installed GA 4.1.10, rebooted the machine from command line.

Gnome Shell will now load, albeit in Fallback mode with blue background. Installed Cinnamon, but system is "stuck" to Fallback. This is strange, because another VM with Mint 12 loads Shell and Cinnamon successfully with 128 MB graphic memory and 3D acceleration enabled..
Last edited by The Diamond Geezer on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelili

Post by nelili »

Hi,

I updated to incoming and to update pack 4. Everything else works fine but my file ".bashrc" has disappeared. I no longer have any .bashrc now, except /etc/bash.bashrc, of course.
I think such a problem should be corrected before other people also lose their .bashrc.

Thanks

Brice
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

nelili wrote:Hi,

I updated to incoming and to update pack 4. Everything else works fine but my file ".bashrc" has disappeared. I no longer have any .bashrc now, except /etc/bash.bashrc, of course.
I think such a problem should be corrected before other people also lose their .bashrc.

Thanks

Brice
This might help.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

nelili wrote:I updated to incoming and to update pack 4. Everything else works fine but my file ".bashrc" has disappeared. I no longer have any .bashrc now, except /etc/bash.bashrc, of course.
You mean the .bashrc file in your home directory? There never was one on my system. If you created one it should still be there. No Debian based package management mechanism should ever touch anything in a user's home directory.
If something in the update pack really removes things from home directories, that is severely broken behaviour!
mockturtl wrote:This might help.
That's about /etc/bash.bashrc, not ~/.bashrc.
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

After update support for my (Bose) bluetooth speakers stopped working. The speaker is detected, pairs and connects, but nothing is showing up in the sound preferences so I can't select the speaker as output.

[SOLVED] After some digging around I found that the problem is a bug in bluez-4.98-2. I went and got bluez-4.98-3 from Sid and my bluetooth speakers works again.
Last edited by cdysthe on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keivan

Post by keivan »

I changed my source to incoming and just updated the vlc and its libraries. Whenever I was changing the playback time using timeline (during playback of MKV files) sound of the movie muted and I have to change the audio settings to repair it. I found a solution for this problem:

deleting the .gstreamer folder in my home directory solved the problem :D .
pan14

Post by pan14 »

Hi, I've been using lmde for the last couple months and decided to test out UP4 on another install. My computer seems to keep freezing at random times no matter what Desktop Environment I am running, Gnome, Cinnamon, Kde. When this happens all I can do is restart. I had the same issue when I tried to run debian testing. I have an i5 2500k, asus p8p67 le mother board, and am dual booting windows to run protools.
rknize
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rknize »

Try booting from the pervious kernel in the GRUB menu.

Return to “LMDE Archive”