Mint 13 LTS ideas?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: Mint 13 LTS ideas?

Post by craig10x »

w2ibc...keep in mind that Cinnamon doesn't even have all the features and configuration options menu in it yet...so if you like it now (i love it myself) it is only going to get better and better :)

It should be (and i would think likely will be) the default session for mint 13...and by the time it comes out, Cinnamon should be pretty full featured and matured...
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

craig10x wrote:w2ibc...keep in mind that Cinnamon doesn't even have all the features and configuration options menu in it yet...so if you like it now (i love it myself) it is only going to get better and better :)

It should be (and i would think likely will be) the default session for mint 13...and by the time it comes out, Cinnamon should be pretty full featured and matured...
yea Cinnamon is pretty solid. I am quite enjoying using it.

I noticed If I have say synaptic open. and i mark something for install. and apply when the box pops up (showing the status of the install) I cant move it around only thing i can do is minimize synaptic.

the other thing that bugs me is being unable to edit the menu (at least i havent found a way to do that) and unable to add any applets to the panel (weather) that or I havent figured out how.

03:55:07 up 1 day, 6:16, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.11, 0.09

but ive only been using LM12 for a little over a day so yea.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

applets are being added in next version 1.1.4 as well as a Cinnamon configuration application and i think a bunch of cinnamon themes will be included as well...should be out soon i would think :)

editing, at least at this point is limited to adding and removing favorites to menu, panel and desktop...not sure if every gnome 2 like feature will be added...i believe the goal is to give a similar experience to gnome 2 on top of gnome 3 but not necessarily EXACTLY the same...

still, for those who prefer a more conventional desktop experience, i think it will be CLOSER to that then likely any other currently available gnome 3 shell...(of which there is really only 2 right now, gnome's version and ubuntu's version)...
fcole90
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fcole90 »

I would love the search panel that there was in Gnome2/MATE. :D It's very useful! The one there's on Cinnamon is good but it would be perfect if it could also search files and packages like the MintMenu did up to Mint 11. :idea:
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

craig10x wrote:
w2ibc...keep in mind that Cinnamon doesn't even have all the features and configuration options menu in it yet...so if you like it now (i love it myself) it is only going to get better and better :)

Great! :D
It has te be developed much further before it is ready. But it looks right.
I'm very, very curious!

And for the time being I use Mate with great pleasure.
[Gnome 3 & MGSE was very usable (more then Unity), but has some tiny but important issues for me.]

Very exciting times!! :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I've since gone back to ubuntu 11.10 and am using unity (yeah...got to like it after using for a week or two) but Cinnamon is really nice and coming along great..newest version adds even more functionality to it...by the time time it hits Mint 13 as default it should really be excellent :wink:
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Unity will grow I think, but it does not 'feel' right (or not 'nice') for me.
The buttons are too big, 'massive' and a little dark. I don't like their workspace-switcher.
I don't like the switcher of Gnome3 too.
I like to use about 7 workspaces mostly. That's enough here and then there is still some room.
The old switcher on panel is the right one in my opinion.
Unity feels not very productive for me.

I like to use my desktop, so here and there will be icons, like a normal desk with tools in daily life.
Easy movable, removable etc. etc.
I want to make it beautiful with background.
Very good concept over the years and years ánd years (not only computers I mean).

I love panels (with icons out of the way of programs and fast launch).
I want to be able to do everything on panels with icons, so move, remove etc. easy and full.

I could not get sound and video working easy on Ubuntu Unity and especially not the recording of sound,
which is very important here. It was really a mess.

After testing for quite a while I saw the release of Mint 12, I went testing that one and so now I'm very content
with Mate, which does all things just as good (or better) then Mint Xfce, LMDE, Lxde, Mint 8, 9, 11, and others
(some I do have here too on partitions or as a clone-backup). So I can work. :D
Even Gnome3 & MGSE is workable.. but....

I have tried Cinnamon, but a lot doesn't work right yet like the panels and context-menu's and the overview.

I hope Linux will be able to show it is not some hobby of changes, forgetting the user who has to work with it.
Or else (after ext4, Grub2, Gnome3, KDE4, Unity etc. or with MS's Secure Boot) there will
not be very much people who are able to use Linux.

But Lefebre and his crew are doing a great job. I suspect their problems... :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

just a note: in ubuntu 12.04 you can make the unity bar icons as small as you want (they have some new customizing features) and auto hide or don't auto hide....
and a few other things...i was playing with a live iso of 12.04 and made the icons a LOT smaller...

"MyUnity" will also be available in the ubuntu repos which adds some customizing features also...

i think using compiz settings, you can also change the colors of unity dock and the dash (search menu)...so slowly but surely, new features are coming in for it...
they didn't want to overdo new changes for 12.04 because it's a long term very stable release (LTS version)...
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

craig10x wrote:
just a note: in ubuntu 12.04 you can make the unity bar icons as small as you want (they have some new customizing features) and auto hide or don't auto hide....
and a few other things...i was playing with a live iso of 12.04 and made the icons a LOT smaller...
Ah, that's good. I know and I wrote: Unity will improve. (What I tested was 11.04) :wink:
so slowly but surely, new features are coming in for it...
Unity needs it very much or else Ubuntu will shrink more.

But for me in Mint LTS 13 I would like to see a lot what Gnome2/KDE had to offer (or what Mate/KDE hás now):

Please all 4 panels (free configurable also the colour and: 'normal launchers on desktop and on panel, movable other panels, deletable , copy),
Free configurable desktop in all ways,

I like to be able to see as much as possible entrees in the menu or do with 'applets' also menu-classic in panel-applets,
I like 'fine' panel-applets,
Many config-options like Xfce had (has?). Switchable (on/off) 'ripple-corner'.

All possible workspace-switching and as much workspaces as one likes (like the old Gnome2 wm ),
No shift in workspaces, no swiching off of workspaces if there are empty ones, it's annoying to see an
application move from workspace 4 to 3 when one does not want it.

Nothing wrong with these new kinds of desktop, but only if things really are BETTER.
And only when they don't try to make my desktop a sort of handheld-screen. I have work to do.. :D
Don't simplify too much. (But I'm sure people like Clem see these things very sharp.)

Something new in the LTS maybe?>
The possibillity to 'undo' an update if something appeares not to be right with it.
I have had some problems like that in the past and once not long ago. I believe some distro's had this facillity.

More versions of software in the repo then now? And more usable nice attractive programs.
There is an awful lot in the repo's people never will use. And whát is usable is sometimes not the crème.
Some software are too difficult to get working. Some software is old. Some don't work.
And careful: if people all over the world think they can do more with apps on handhelds and tablets then on
Linux-desktops they are going to use handhelds and tablets.....

'Remastertool easy' (like Remastersys) by default perhaps?

Improve helpfiles if they are not very helpful.

An easy 'Redo-MBR' tool which gives the editable and savable tekstfile and then asks for the automatic
reconfig of the MBR (or whatever it might be with UEFI Secure Boot of MS). I use something like it
with PCLOS, which is the MBR-distro-switch on my multiboot system. Other OS on a partition?> Go (PCLOS)
redo-MBR and the new system is in the bootmenu.

And if not now maybe in future? :D :wink:
altermontrealiste
Level 1
Level 1

Post by altermontrealiste »

I have endured windows for 15 years, installing it on other people's computer, and it's so much easier with mint ; so many hours wasted searching for drivers... I was amazed that it recognised my laptop model and presumably has the "drivers", yet, that reflex of wondering if my hardware is installed ok is still there ; revamping the hardware manager would be nice. Other than that, tabletpc support is the only thing better on mswin ; I teach old people that are beginning to use a computer and mint makes it easy for them, and cinnamon could make mint the alternative.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Possibly a little off topic here but does anyone know when Mint 13 is due out? - I thought it would be May time but I'm sure I saw somewhere it will be around November time.

Also as its a LTS based on Ubuntu is it right that support will be for 5 years?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

since ubuntu 12.04 releases end of April...then figure about a month after for mint...probably end of may, i would think...

yes, since it is ubuntu 12.04 underneath then it is subject to the same update period as ubuntu is... :wink:
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

been playing with LM12 Mate.. really like mate.

it would be nice to have a LM13 Mate cd iso (with just mate and only mate on it) for a release instead of having to install with the G3 crap.. then go in install mate via repos then try and remove all the G3 crap.
altermontrealiste
Level 1
Level 1

Post by altermontrealiste »

Could the usb install key save the downloaded locale data so it wouldn't have to the next time? Could that also apply to various updates happening during installation with an USB key?
faolan

Post by faolan »

I know I've already posted this in another thread, but I would really like to see support for LVM and encryption built into the installer or the use of the Debian text mode installer as an option (which would have such built-in). It's really the only thing that is keeping me off Mint, which is the most promising distro out right now and one that actively listens to its users. Its good to see that trend is not going away and with all the work I see going on with Cinnamon, its going to blow away the Linux community. It is what Gnome 3 should have been. Hopefully, Cinnamon sources will eventually wind back up into the main Gnome source, but I doubt it because that would mean someone would have to admit they were wrong, and the Gnome team just has too much pride to do that.

As far as KDE goes, Mint still has one of the best KDE distros out there, and I only really see that getting better with time as well.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I believe the main edition of Mint 13 should be cinnamon. let users install gnomeshell or MATE.
use cinnamon for the better or the worse. gnome 3 is quite heavy, needs a decent hard disk and lots of RAM (I'd say 2GB). a cinnamon desktop is 90% gnome 3 and 10% cinnamon.

I have a culprit though, about applets. there should be enough of them so that there's no downgrade for a user of ubuntu 10.04 or mint 10.
I willl be satisfied if the the X eyes applet is available :D
a buddy of mine runs mint 10 on his netbook, and set up a small autohide panel with the funny applets.

for the lighter edition I have a perence for LXDE as it runs well on 256MB computers.

what I would like a lot, and is additional work that pays off a bit better in a LTS.. a Linux Mint Nihil Edition :).
that is, with no desktop environment. release it after three editions are done. (main, kde, lxde?)
you apt-get the desktop and get any wanted edition, or else do your own stuff. you only need one very small ISO for every use.
double bonus points for a network PXE installable version.
this is one of the best features of ubuntu and debian.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

w2ibc wrote:it would be nice to have a LM13 Mate cd iso (with just mate and only mate on it)
Agree with that. MATE was so well hidden in LM12, it wasn't even available in live mode... I remember some people here at the forums were quite surprised to find out it's already installed :)
I'm not sure MATE is stable enough for that though.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Monsta wrote:
w2ibc wrote:it would be nice to have a LM13 Mate cd iso (with just mate and only mate on it)
Agree with that. MATE was so well hidden in LM12, it wasn't even available in live mode... I remember some people here at the forums were quite surprised to find out it's already installed :)
No problem here. I'm completely happy with it. Like a rock. Gnome3 and Cinnamon are usable (although Cinnamon is not ready),
but Mate is such an easy, smooth tool. Something like Gnome 2.3
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

Monsta wrote:
Mate 1.1 seemed pretty stable. (think mint shipped with 1.0) I got it on my other box.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

My Mint 13 wishlist (I assume Cinnamon will be the default desktop):

1. A MATE session either not included by default or the duplication fest caused by having one in Mint 12 sorted out (duplicated icons, duplicated entries in Startup Manager, 2 terminals, 2 Configuration editors etc.)
2. Updated icon theme, many application icons missing
3. Different wallpaper (fat chance)
4. Grub Customizer a default application, Mint 12 didn't include a grub editing application
5. Something like Minty or a tweaked Elegance adopted as the default Cinnamon theme (fat chance)
6. Software Manager brought up on level with Ubuntu Software Center (obese chance)

All minor quibbles really, I think Mint 13 will be a great release.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”