LMDE: How do I reset to default font scheme?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

LMDE: How do I reset to default font scheme?

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

There was a tweak to "better improve" the default font scheme of LMDE. The code was pasted into a document called .font.conf placed in the Home folder. Suffice to say, I didn't like it. However, I do not know how to restore the default font scheme. I erased the document and tried setting the fonts in the Fonts section...didn't help.

Is there a way to reset this? I know alot of people might not find the default scheme good, but I like it.

All the help is appreciated.

r2rX :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: LMDE: How do I reset to default font scheme?

Post by vrkalak »

If you removed/delete the ~/.font.config file > it is gone.

The only way would be to have someone give you the default ~/.font.config script, then you could add it back to the proper place.

Remember, in the future, always make a back-up file of every file/script you change.

I'm not using LMDE, at the moment, or I'd send it to you.
r2rX

Post by r2rX »

That's the thing.....there wasn't a .font.conf file initially. That's why I thought that, perhaps, after deleting the file I made, it would restore the fonts. Maybe a live boot might produce one that I can use...i'll test.

r2rX

Post by r2rX »

Alright, I tried copying the fonts.conf from a live boot and replacing all of them on my installation...it didn't work. But I ended up reinstalling LMDE anyway....so i'm not messing around with this again.

Although, if anyone knows how to correct such an issue it'll be good to post it.

Thanks, vrkalak.

r2rX

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is a bug (or my incompetence) but the font scheme is messed up again.

On the desktop, I went to 'Change Desktop Background'- > 'Font'. At the bottom is a series of 'Rendering' options; Monochrome, Best shapes, Best contrast and Subixel smoothing (LCDs). None of them were enabled, so I clicked on Subpixel smoothing. The moment I did that, it chaned my font scheme....and I can't seem to set it back. I haven't changed any of the fonts, didn't touch any scripts....it's really unpleasent now.

Any advice on how to get it to root/default Mint font settings?

I really wanna fix this....

r2rX :(
lasm2000

Post by lasm2000 »

I offer no solution. Just stating that I have the same problem as above's post. I selected subpixel hinting in the gnome options and inmediately got a set of thin and not so nice looking fonts. :(

Any way to restore the default font rendering? Other than the gnome panel that I mentioned I haven't touched to fonts config files.
like45ninjas

Post by like45ninjas »

r2rX wrote:Hey guys,

I don't know if this is a bug (or my incompetence) but the font scheme is messed up again.

On the desktop, I went to 'Change Desktop Background'- > 'Font'. At the bottom is a series of 'Rendering' options; Monochrome, Best shapes, Best contrast and Subixel smoothing (LCDs). None of them were enabled, so I clicked on Subpixel smoothing. The moment I did that, it chaned my font scheme....and I can't seem to set it back. I haven't changed any of the fonts, didn't touch any scripts....it's really unpleasent now.

Any advice on how to get it to root/default Mint font settings?

I really wanna fix this....

r2rX :(
I hate to revive an old thread... but this is exactly what happened to me right now on the most recent version of lmde. Does anbody know a solution to his problem?
alanmoore

Post by alanmoore »

Hey, guys! A related question was posted and discussed in this forums and it helped me solve this issue. Credit to Nathan from Programhalla for finding the solution and Mint forum member 'squeezy' for posting it.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ts#p544407

You basically have to follow this tutorial:

http://noz3001.wordpress.com/2011/07/01 ... an-wheezy/

but downloading the .deb file you have to extract directly from LMDE repositories instead of Ubuntu's. Here's the download link:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upst ... u3_all.deb

Configuring your fonts as in the screenshot is particularly important, especially the slight hinting part.

And that's it. It worked for me after I screwed up.

Regards.

Return to “LMDE Archive”