mint4win and separate dual boot installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kernowmint

mint4win and separate dual boot installation?

Post by kernowmint »

I'm trying out Lisa main edition via mint4win on my new laptop. As the laptop has a 750GB hard drive, I'd like to try a proper dual-boot installation as well, probably using LXDE edition, and have carved out a new partition with that in mind. Would it do any harm to leave the mint4win installation in place and set up a proper dual-boot as well? I don't want to leave myself unable to boot into Windows just in case I should ever need it. There was no Windows installation disk with the laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: mint4win and separate dual boot installation?

Post by xenopeek »

If you have at least 4 GiB of memory, I'd suggest you install VirtualBox on Windows (or your Linux Mint), and run the LXDE .iso file in that. You can create a virtual hard disk so you can actually install LXDE, and try it out that way in a virtual machine running either on Windows or your Linux Mint.

I'm sure it will go fine, but I wouldn't mix mint4win with actual dual-boot. So either I'd try out in VirtualBox, or remove mint4win and install as triple-boot.
kernowmint

Re: mint4win and separate dual boot installation?

Post by kernowmint »

I've tried it in Virtual Box already. I'll play safe and have either dual-boot or mint4win but not both. I might try triple-booting (I'll practice that on my desktop PC first), but perhaps with a different distro altogether as the third one. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Installation & Boot”