shortcut keys?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

shortcut keys?

Post by anderigs »

I am still a bit of a cinnamon newbie - spent most of my LM12 life using fluxbox but after just reading a rave review of cinnamon in linux mag I decided to give it a spin and LOVE it. Seems to be the perfect mix between glamour & usability.
But I can't find out how to define shortcut keys. I use these all the time for the most regular used apps.
The settings used by gnome3 don't seem to work.
Thanks for any tips.
Cheers
andE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: shortcut keys?

Post by xenopeek »

Menu > Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab :wink:
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

Vincent beat me to it, but I added a little more explanation.

One way to get to the Keyboard dialog window is to select it from the Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard.

Click on the Shortcuts tab and then click the "Custom Shortcuts" from the list on the left side of the dialog window.

Click the "+" sign to add a new custom shortcut.

I am using the "Ctrl" + "Alt" keys to assign a shortcut to a keyboard letter (i.e. Firefox is Ctrl+Alt+F)
mojosmail2003

Post by mojosmail2003 »

Speaking of shortcuts... Do you know if it is possible to add shortcuts to the snap the windows to either left or right (previously used compiz to obtain this), thus without using the mouse. For some reason this does not seem to be an option in the keyboard menu?
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anderigs »

hi
I had actually found this but it hadn't worked for me. This is cos I always use Mod4 (windows or super key) for my shortcuts.
For some reason this doesn't work. E.g. Mod4+F does not open firefox. Looks like something else is snapping up the Mod4 before cinnamon can process it. This is strange as in fluxbox this worked all the time.
I checked and if I do ALT+F it does work. So thanks for the pointer but is this Mod4 limit a bug or a feature?
Cheers,
andE
igel_au

Post by igel_au »

I'm suffering the same issue with Mod4 (Win/Super/Hyper) shortcuts not working. It works fine if the shortcut is default (e.g. Mod4-D for show desktop), but some newly-created ones don't run properly.

For example, I can change Terminal from <ctrl><alt>T to <Mod4>T and it works fine. I can also launch Home Folder by <ctrl><alt>E, or even <Mod4>T which worked for Terminal.

I've tested creating a custom shortcut for

Code: Select all

nautilus ~
as well as Launcher > Home folder, and if you're looking at the desktop something like the edge of a window appears in the bottom left. I'm too slow to launch looking-glass to see what it is, unfortunately.

Running x64 Mint 12 cinnamon. Hope this extra information might help someone find a solution. Or at least what the actual problem is.
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anderigs »

Hi
ok, thanks to a archlinux buddy I worked out a cinnamon adapted solution based on:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 31#p929631

Soooooo, we need to disable [super] as the muffin (cinnamon's window manager) overlay key:

Start gconf-editor and set /apps/muffin/general/overlay_key to empty string, then restart gnome-shell (easiest & surest way is to reboot but logout/in should also be enough).

Worked for me anyway - hope this helps and doesn't break something else ;-)
igel_au

Post by igel_au »

anderigs wrote: hope this helps and doesn't break something else ;-)
That works great! only problem is that the mint menu doesn't open with the Super key... which I'm guessing is exactly what we just turned off?

Is there a way to set super_L as the shortcut to open the mint menu a different way, say using the keyboard shortcuts box? I have no idea if there's even a command line way to open it.
scimor5

Post by scimor5 »

I'm having the same problem except anything with numbers in it ( ctrl+alt+1 ) doesn't do anything.
Unlimited2K11

Post by Unlimited2K11 »

Hey,
just upgraded to LM13 and my beloved Super+D-shortcut won't work anymore... I already tried anderigs' solution with the gconf-editor - after that, the mint-menu won't open after super-key-press anymore, but I still get a little inputbox in the lower right, wenn hitting super+<some_key>...

Any new ideas anybody? :)
totalizator

Post by totalizator »

Unlimited2K11 wrote:Hey,
just upgraded to LM13 and my beloved Super+D-shortcut won't work anymore... I already tried anderigs' solution with the gconf-editor - after that, the mint-menu won't open after super-key-press anymore, but I still get a little inputbox in the lower right, wenn hitting super+<some_key>...

Any new ideas anybody? :)
Finally got it working:

1) Alt+F2
2) gconf-editor
3) app->metacity->global_keybindings
4) add show_desktop with text value <Super>d
occulens

Post by occulens »

I can confirm that the instructions above work.

I would also like to add that by using the gconf-editor, there is a way to make <Super>f open Firefox:

1) in apps > metacity > global_keybindings,
set run_command_1 to <Super>f

2) in apps > metacity > keybinding_commands,
set command_1 to firefox

Hope this Helps!
jerkey

Post by jerkey »

I don't seem to have gconf-editor. Is there another way to activate the menu key with a keyboard shortcut?
pindar

Post by pindar »

I would like to ask the same question. The instructions given above do not work with newer versions of cinnamon. So: how can I set a shortcut key to bring up the Mint menu (and allow me to type into the "Search" box of the window so I can start applications without having to use the mouse).

Thanks!

pindar

Return to “Cinnamon”