<SOLVED>Cinnamon

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

<SOLVED>Cinnamon

Post by marsh20 »

Probably a silly question but, still a noob, will Cinnamon be LM13?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
craig10x

Re: Cinnamon

Post by craig10x »

If you mean will Cinnamon be the default session in Mint 13 i believe the answer would be most definitely... :)

I suspect MGSE session will be eliminated since it really will no longer be needed with the success of Cinnamon...
Of course, one would still have the options of going into either pure gnome 3 shell session or the MATE (gnome 2 fork).... :wink:
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

So there will be Cinnamon, MATE, Gnome 3, KDE, Xfce, LXDE... o.o
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yep...everything same as it was...i was talking about mint 13 main edition (the gnome version) of course...
Cinnamon will also eventually be available in LMDE (which is also gnome but based on debian testing)...

The others don't use Cinnamon, that is a re-design on the gnome 3 shell so it wouldn't apply to other desktops like kde , xfce, and lxde...
KakersUK

Post by KakersUK »

craig10x wrote:Of course, one would still have the options of going into either pure gnome 3 shell session or the MATE (gnome 2 fork).... :wink:
Oh cool, I'm hoping so. One of the reasons why myself and I'm assuming others migrated from Ubuntu over to Linux Mint was being forced to use Unity. Ok, Unity is built on the Gnome 3 libraries and you could do it, but I just can't be bothered to keep doing it 'out of the box' every 6 months. If you're able to select your preferred GUI (which is in my case Gnome 3) on the login screen as you are able to now, then I'll be a very happy bunny :) That being said when LM 13 is released I'll still give Cinnamon a go, to see how I get on with it. Hell I didn't like going from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 initially... but maybe I'm just slow at moving with the times :P

I'd be interested to hear what other's opinions are.
RubberSoul

Re: <SOLVED>Cinnamon

Post by RubberSoul »

I really don't like MGSE. The reason I came to Mint was because of Unity on Ubuntu.
After using Mint 11, I messed around with other distros for a while and came back to Mint this month when I heard that Mint 12 was out. Without reading anything about the latest release, I installed it, only to my horror, to discover the abomination that is Gnome 3. I breathed a sigh of relief when I discovered MATE though.

I've seen a few screen shots of Cinnamon and haven't installed it (yet, will do tonight after work) but from what I've seen... I can see that horrid "top panel" and the big, shiny, simple looking menus that come with it. UGH! It looks like another "Unity-eque", "computing for toddlers", type of desktop environment... (I don't know much about it as I've only seen the screen shots and haven't used it, so do correct me if I'm wrong.)

I really hope that Linux Mint continues to develop and support MATE. I'm currently studying .NET & Java and have begun recently teaching myself python, if they want, I will help in any way that I can to support MATE. I know I'm not alone in the support of the Gnome 2 fork, there's a big number of people who prefer it.
Guardian2003

Post by Guardian2003 »

I've been using Cinnamon for several months with LM12. It would be nice to have the option to remove the top panel but in all seriousness, the 3mm of screen space it takes up is hardly worth me jumping up and down complaining about it when I consider my old Windows task bar took up more room than Cinnamons top and bottom bar combined.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Guardian2003 wrote:I've been using Cinnamon for several months with LM12. It would be nice to have the option to remove the top panel but in all seriousness, the 3mm of screen space it takes up is hardly worth me jumping up and down complaining about it when I consider my old Windows task bar took up more room than Cinnamons top and bottom bar combined.
Cinnamon only has a bottom panel...do you mean MGSE? (that has the two panels) there use to be an extension on the gnome 3 site to auto hide the top bar on that...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”