[SOLVED] How to remove something from the menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
veggen

[SOLVED] How to remove something from the menu?

Post by veggen »

I installed Wine and along with it, I got Notepad, which I absolutely do not need. Now, I don't mind it being installed, but it placed itself into a new sub menu called "Other" and I don't know how to remove it. I then also noticed that everything I have under Administration menu, I have duplicated under Preferences... So what I need is a way to remove entries and sub menus. I tried alacarte, but it doesn't seem to really work with Cinnamon due to different sub menus.

Can someone help? I'd be very grateful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dballanc

Re: How to remove something from the menu?

Post by dballanc »

No help here, just sympathy and a bump. i'm stuck on a related issue too. I added a menu with alacarte, and they show up under "other" rather than the newly created menu. I can't figure out exactly how cinnamon builds the menu categories.
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

A bump for same thing
dsplayname

Post by dsplayname »

back in 1.12 or 1.13, there was an application for configuring the menu. I can't find it now that I am in 1.3 and want to remove some uninstalled programs from the list.

EDIT- I went into /usr/share/applications/ and manually deleted some programs that I had already uninstalled. It got them out of the menu, but I still can't figure out how to categorize things properly.
janax

Alacarte and cinnamon solved!

Post by janax »

I realized that cinnamon use the file name cinnamon-applications.menu, whereas alacarte works on the file name applications.menu. This holds true both for the local ~/.config/menus/ and global /etc/xdg/menus/ directories.

Thus, if we link the cinnamon-applications.menu to point to the applications.menu (or vice versa), alacarte and cinnamon would both work.

Step 1 (settings for all users):

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/xdg/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu.bck;\
sudo ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu
Step 2 (settings for local user)

ln -s ~/.config/menus/applications.menu ~/.config/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu
Step 3 (run alacarte, which has to be installed from synaptic)

alacarte
Step 4 (sometimes changes are not immediately updated)
Solution: press alt-F2 r [enter]

I was very satisfied to be able to make my own menu entries, and move the programs around. The only drawback/feature is that now the gnome3 and cinnamon menus will be the same. I view this as a feature!

All the best to the cinnamon team, from an Ubuntu convert!
veggen

Post by veggen »

Man! This is an awesome find! And a very nice work around. Thanks a million for this!
veggen

Post by veggen »

Hmmm... It still works very awkwardly for me (symlinked the two files just like you), for example Cinnamon's Administration menu is invisible to Alacarte... Oh well, it's still a step forward.
janax

Post by janax »

veggen wrote:Hmmm... It still works very awkwardly for me (symlinked the two files just like you), for example Cinnamon's Administration menu is invisible to Alacarte... Oh well, it's still a step forward.
I actually see the same thing now when you point it out. I believe this menu is somehow filled in automatically, maybe by some script. My view is that we have to live with those things, but modify the rest with the above fix.

I wish that the modifications in cinnamon were not tampering with gnome3 when not needed.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@janax

Your solution is a nice step forward. I think however that it's still not the perfect solution for life. Linking two files works nicely for most of the cases but may create other problems... I now have a mysterious "wine-wine" menu without icon, but it gives a long last the missing wine applications... but not drive C and others..

Anyway, a lot of thanks. Welcome here, former Ubuntu user, you are far from being alone... :D
Arran

Post by Arran »

Do you not have a possibility not manage your menu directly?

Look at my screeny (I use a Swiss-German version), you still should understand the way it works: right click on the Menu, then choose «Menueintäge gearbeiten», somthing like »configure menu entries». With me it is the first line. So you then can configure each menu to your liking, taking apps our or change then just with the mouse the category, etc. Very easy-peasy.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

@Arran

Congratulations for scoring a cheap point. BTW this is Cinnamon.

For your information, it worked this way also with Gnome2. Now, we have a brand new interface called Cinnamon which is not officially in use. We are just trying to squash some bugs like this one and I would be very surprised if this bug did not find a solution before LM13.

Happy skying.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Sorry, I did not realise, that there are still people who use such faulty applications. KDE is just perfect and really fast. :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:

And, the point was not very cheap, I had to go up there with my computer, put in from of a windows overlooking all those mountains, making the shot to present the wrong message. What a shame for lost time. I promise, I will not answer any more questions. OK?
veggen

Post by veggen »

Oh yeah! Cinnamon 1.4 delivered a proper solution ;) I love the speed of efficiency of the Cinnamon dev team!
willass

Re: [SOLVED] How to remove something from the menu?

Post by willass »

Right-click on the menu button >> configure >> open menu editor >> uncheck wine >> click delete >> done

Return to “Cinnamon”