Fresh install missing backgound and desktop icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
c-m

Fresh install missing backgound and desktop icons

Post by c-m »

Just installed XFCE version of mint 12 on a laptop, all went fine.
On the restart after logging in, all i'm left with is a black desktop within no icon and no way to access a file browser.

The bottom menu is there and working though.

How do i get desktop icons to show up?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Fresh install missing backgound and desktop icons

Post by jjaythomas »

their is no XFCE 12 version

you either are using Main(Gnome) version and installed over it XFCE packages OR usining LMDE (Debian) XFCE. Unless installed previos version (XFCE 10 was ubuntu based I Believein testing no release tho)last release 9

But to your problem...if your using a external monitor from a Laptop the laptop display may be blocking/covering the external monitor from displaying, you must disable laptop display (or setup a dual monitor setup :wink: ) in menu-settings-display. If not I would venture the install went bad.

P.S. thats how mine acts (external display on a docked laptop) if I use the laptop it will return to deffault/correct display, so I have to reset the display option when re-docked.(rarely use as laptop anyways) or fiddle with dual display mode!

J.Jay
Last edited by jjaythomas on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
c-m

Post by c-m »

Nope, it's an install of Mint 12 XFCE edition on a laptop using the laptop display, however, while i formatted / I left /home intact and am using the same user.

So does this mean there are some folders files I need to delete from /home/username/ that were left over from my Mint 11 installation?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

open a terminal, please, and share with us the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -S
sharing the same home between releases (be it mint11 and mint12 or lmde) is not very advisable: the changes are to many to not have some conflict with hidden config files
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Where you get...

Where did you get a Lmint 12 XFCE install disk? I would love that! I thought XFCE stoped with LMint10 and now is only available on LMDE (LXDE is still available on LMints (Ubuntu based) and I believe only 32bit.
If XFCE is still available (Ubuntu based) can you let me know exspecially if 64bit flavor.

P.S. ZZero is right, I always found backing up home folder but then copying over individual configs/files cause a whole lot less trouble and easier to figure out what causing breakage.
I do't know what to try (other answer I knew from my experiences :x )

J.Jay
c-m

Post by c-m »

zerozero wrote:open a terminal, please, and share with us the output of

inxi -S
sharing the same home between releases (be it mint11 and mint12 or lmde) is not very advisable: the changes are to many to not have some conflict with hidden config files

carl@mini ~ $ inxi -s
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
This is a fresh installation but uses my old home folder. I don't have Mint 11 installed anymore.

As for where i got this version: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=96729 Linux Mint 12 LXDE
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Tried that...

It,s LXDE install with XFCE packages installed in (I gather?). That works very good, It's easierer apt-installing up from a LXDE than down from a Gnome/main system and uninstalling unneeded stuff (unless both LXDE & XFCE sessions desired). But alas LXDE (offical) Mint only comes in 32bit. But would be nice to have a a fresh install XFCE Mint12 disk (exspecially 64bit :P )

P.S. can make a remastered disk after all the work and have a defacto LMint12 XFCE install disk :wink: (only in 32bit unless tring with Peppermint64 or something).

J.Jay
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

c-m,
unix is case sensitive: S is different from s, so inxi -S would give a different output from inxi -s;

lxde is not xfce and in mint you have linux mint 12 lxde (ubuntu based) and linux mint debian xfce (32bit) and 64bit
c-m

Post by c-m »

yep I know unix is case sensitive, just didn't notice that it was an upper case letter in the post. I couldn't copy/paste as it was a different computer.

Yes, my mistake. I'm running, LXDE, I thought is was XFCE as i've never heard of LXDE, not sure it existed back in the day when I was more hands on.

Anyway rather than mess about, I've just done a fresh install on a fresh /home partition.

All is ok now.

Thanks
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

good you have it sorted :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Glad yo got sorted out too...

Figured it might be LXDE (I don't know if what happed in XFCE to me also happens in LXDE I believe does but differents solution (way of setting) does)....monitor setting??

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”