Help with s-video out

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGodless

Help with s-video out

Post by MrGodless »

Hello all, I am having trouble with getting Linux Mint 12 to recognizing my tv which is using the s-video cable. It does not recognize it at all and on the monitor that I have it hooked up on it is sowing "unknown" in the display. The computer is a dell dimension 4700, the graphics card is a GeForce 8600 GT, and the tv is an emerson 32". I have used additional driver to install the right driver for the graphics card but this is all it's giving me :/ If you need anymore information please feel free to ask and I'll prodive whatever you need.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help with s-video out

Post by eiver »

I remember having problems with video via s-video on my 8600 GS on Linux. On windows too (it worked but was buggy). It was Nvidia driver issue. It just didn't show any output on the TV. It worked well with standard VGA cable. Your TV does not have a VGA input as far as google can tell. Perhaps you can use a VGA-to-HDMI cable. Other than that you can only try to uninstall any graphics drivers and download the latest drivers from nvidia site, unless you have done that already. s-video was always buggy on older nvidia's, so I would recommend to use the VGA instead. It will save you a lot of time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you use the nvidia driver you can't use the Monitors program - please use NVidia X Server Settings instead which you can find in the menu.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MrGodless

Post by MrGodless »

AlbertP wrote:If you use the nvidia driver you can't use the Monitors program - please use NVidia X Server Settings instead which you can find in the menu.

aahh thank you AlbertP, once I used the X server settings the screen works. The only problem I have now is that it does fit the screen quite right, both the bottom and top bars are not visible along with the sides. I tried going down in resolutions to see if that would fix it but none of them worked. Any suggestions on fixing this problem?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You used the TwinView option in X Server Settings?
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

Hi,
I am having the same problem with my s-video output on my laptop to my T.V. which unfortunately made me have to settle again for.........Windows. :roll:

My xrandr output only shows the laptop screen and a VGA1 which stays disconnected. It doesn't show any s-video connection. I tried detecting displays in the resolution configuration to no avail. I have an Intel 965 integrated device and I installed the appropriate drivers from the repo but it did not work. Is there any solution at all?

Thanks
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ tedbell: This is a different problem. Dual-head setup on nvidia graphics is very different from Intel/ATI/AMD. Please open a new topic.
MrGodless

Post by MrGodless »

AlbertP wrote:You used the TwinView option in X Server Settings?
No, since I have it working on the tv I took the other monitor off. I want to make it where I only have the tv hooked up and no other monitor.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps you need to press Save to Xorg.conf after having set the settings as you like them to be.
MrGodless

Post by MrGodless »

I haven't messed with the Xorg.conf file any, here is what it looks like:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection
That is the only things in the file.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You shouldn't need to edit xorg.conf by hand as X Server Settings has a "Save to Xorg.conf" button to save the current configuration, then it will remember this when you boot your computer again.
MrGodless

Post by MrGodless »

Even if I save it, the display still doesn't fit my tv screen. I have tried all resolutions and none of them will make the display fit my screen
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Did it work with Windows?

Or perhaps the TV has other inputs as well apart from S-Video?
MrGodless

Post by MrGodless »

It did work with windows, had no problem with it. The tv does have HDMI but I do not have a HDMI card for my PC.

Return to “Hardware Support”