TOR - running or not

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zkab

TOR - running or not

Post by zkab »

I have LMDE (3.0.0-1-amd64) and installed TOR according to instructions from www.torproject.org
When I start Vidalia it tells me TOR is running OK (green onion) and the message log looks OK to me:

jan 09 15:23:06.850 [Notice] Tor v0.2.2.35 (git-73ff13ab3cc9570d). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Linux x86_64)
jan 09 15:23:06.850 [Notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.13-stable using method epoll. Good.
jan 09 15:23:06.850 [Notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
jan 09 15:23:06.850 [Notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
jan 09 15:23:06.851 [Notice] Parsing GEOIP file /usr/share/tor/geoip.
jan 09 15:23:07.388 [Notice] OpenSSL OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010 looks like version 0.9.8m or later; I will try SSL_OP to enable renegotiation
jan 09 15:23:07.388 [Notice] We now have enough directory information to build circuits.
jan 09 15:23:07.388 [Notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network.
jan 09 15:23:07.388 [Notice] New control connection opened.
jan 09 15:23:08.314 [Notice] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.
jan 09 15:23:08.609 [Notice] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.
jan 09 15:23:09.204 [Notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
jan 09 15:23:09.204 [Notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.

but check.torproject.org tells me that I am not connected to TOR and also my IP is not changed
When I hit 'View the Network' in Vidalia it shows me a bunch of TOR servers.

As I understand I am connected to TOR - but why is my IP not changed and why does check.torproject.org show me that I am not connected ... hmmm
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: TOR - running or not

Post by Roken »

Because your web browser hasn't been told to use the tor proxy. You can set it up manually, but the easier way is to use the tor button (https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/)

I note that they say tor button is no longer supported as an add on for Firefox (though it's working fine here in Iceweasel 8) but you can download their build of the tor browser bundle which comes pre-configured.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
zkab

Post by zkab »

Thanks - I set it up manually in Firefox (Pref/Adv/Netw/Settings) as follows:

SOCKS Host:127.0.0.1 Port:9050
SOCKS v5 (checked)
No Proxy for: localhost, 127.0.0.1

and now I have green onions everywhere.
But message log gives me:

jan 09 18:01:28.425 [Warning] Your application (using socks5 to port 443) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves may leak information. Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead. For more information, please see https://wiki.torproject.org/TheOnionRou ... OCKSAndDNS.

Is this something I should worry about ?
How do I 'Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead.' ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can use the self-contained Tor Browser Bundle as an alternative. Just extract, and running it will give you Firefox connected to Tor. I managed to get Tor working in the past, without the Tor Browser Bundle, and IIRC I indeed had to setup Privoxy as a local proxy between Firefox and Tor.
zkab

Post by zkab »

Yes - Tor Browser Bundle seems the most convenient way to go.
But when I run the script start-tor-browser it gives me following:

Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

Should that be a concern ?
And how can I make Firefox that is launched automatically to start with maximized window ?
Myself

Post by Myself »

I installed Tor in LMDE as specified on the Tor website and it works well with Iceweasel.

I have tried the bundle using ./start-tor-browser but it never starts only gives and error message, or opens in gedit.

I can get the tor bundle to work in some other distributions by just double clicking on the start-tor-bundle script and I was using Ubuntu 10.04 last night and after doing updates, and installing some extra software, I found that I could double click on the start-tor-browser bundle script, and other scripts and they worked. Have no idea what software I installed that allows this to happen but wish I did.

In LMDE I have noticed using Vidalia gives same error as shown above but when opening Iceweasel, set to use Tor, it goes to the check.tor page and shows that Tor is active and working but it doesn't show up in Task Manager. This must mean that Tor is constantly running as a hidden service. Does anyone know how to stop it when not required?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

torbutton works great with Firefox 11. Vidalia starts when KDE loads. You can also set tor at the desktop level using Network Settings in system settings. I use polipo rather than privoxy.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

I also use Privoxy, I like the option to turn TOR on and off easily in Firefox. I do occasionally use TOR desktop wide, but only rarely. There are some excellent proxy services out there, and easily set up, but they are all pay services. I find I do not have such a need for proxies that paying for one would be an option however.
dedanna1029

Post by dedanna1029 »

zkab wrote:Thanks - I set it up manually in Firefox (Pref/Adv/Netw/Settings) as follows:

SOCKS v5 (checked)

jan 09 18:01:28.425 [Warning] Your application (using socks5 to port 443) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves may leak information. Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead. For more information, please see https://wiki.torproject.org/TheOnionRou ... OCKSAndDNS.

For future reference, in this case Tor is not running in Firefox. You need to check Socks 4. Tor/Vidalia will not work with Socks 5.
dedanna1029

Post by dedanna1029 »

Myself wrote:In LMDE I have noticed using Vidalia gives same error as shown above but when opening Iceweasel, set to use Tor, it goes to the check.tor page and shows that Tor is active and working but it doesn't show up in Task Manager. This must mean that Tor is constantly running as a hidden service. Does anyone know how to stop it when not required?
TBH, you don't really want to go start-for-browser. Vidalia has its own Stop button for Tor, and this is the kind of thing that Vidalia is for. It's a GUI for Tor, nothing more, and is the reason it's bundled with Tor:

You could conceivably try:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/tor stop
However, it doesn't work for me.

Edit: If you're just referring to within the browser, what I do is have one browser that runs Tor for safe browsing, then use another one that doesn't for regular/routine browsing..
xtra5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xtra5 »

dedanna1029 wrote:
zkab wrote:Thanks - I set it up manually in Firefox (Pref/Adv/Netw/Settings) as follows:

SOCKS v5 (checked)

For future reference, in this case Tor is not running in Firefox. You need to check Socks 4. Tor/Vidalia will not work with Socks 5.
tor work prefectly on socks5 just edit your browser to use remote dns
about:config then lookup for "proxy remote dns" to enable it,i think this step not have much security concern,correct me if i wrong.
zkab

Post by zkab »

OK - thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”