Struggling LMDE 201109 Won't boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dwainehead

Struggling LMDE 201109 Won't boot

Post by dwainehead »

Hi I'm working on installing LMDE on my new system, the 201109 live system refuses to boot fully, it gets toms of udevd errors, then finally get's to the point to switching to the loging screen and just goes black, ;eft it over night just to see if I was getting anxious, but nothing, the older 201108 image boots and installs, but getting thing update kills it, apt-get dist-upgrade from teh command get package errors and once completed the system is dead. No I don't have the errors because it won't finish booting at this point.

My system I'm installing to:
GygabyteGA-970A-UD3
AMD FX-4100
Cosair Vengance PC1600 16gb
EVGA GForce GTX 550TI
LG 22DVD
Hitachi 750gb sata 3
Emachines 23LCD x2

eooros I can catch
udedv[373] timeout killing /sbin/modprobe -b pci: v000010DeD........ [412] there another one which is 473?

attempting now from debian-testing netinstall...

any ideas will be appriciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Struggling LMDE 201109 Won't boot

Post by zerozero »

hi,
that looks like a bad download or a bad burn.
if the 201108 boots and installs, there's no reason for the 201109 to fail (not for hardware incompatibility- they are basically the same);
if you don't want to re-d/l (and if the 201108 is working) we can make that one install and update successfully, just follow this closely http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=82346 and update using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
but watching the possible errors (gstreamer) that might occur.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Did that and got some funky Gnome3 desktop, the DVD installed on 2 other computers without issue, burned another copy just to be sure and the xfce version same result, main edition 11 does the same thing (dies when X starts), main edition 12 also fails (dies when X starts), so hardware support isn't showing to be as good as I had hoped....
Greydog56

Post by Greydog56 »

I've not had any success loading mint 11 or 12 when my Nvidia gtx 550ti is installed. I can get mint 10 to install. Remove the 550 ti, put any other of my pci express cards in the slot, and all mint versions load fine. It's not my card, card works fine with Windows 7. Maybe search in that direction, there are other having same conflict with Nvidia 550 TI.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

I ended up installing from the 201012xx disk and updating the sources.list, and performing upgrade and dist upgrade and also I removed the gstreamer-really-bad... hope that helps.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Greydog56 wrote:I've not had any success loading mint 11 or 12 when my Nvidia gtx 550ti is installed. I can get mint 10 to install. Remove the 550 ti, put any other of my pci express cards in the slot, and all mint versions load fine. It's not my card, card works fine with Windows 7. Maybe search in that direction, there are other having same conflict with Nvidia 550 TI.
I found a new solutions that worked well....
If you other card is an nvidia card do the install with that card,
Then:
method 1:
install the nvidia drivers, create the xorg.conf (use the nvidia walkthrough) blacklist nouveau drivers and reboot. System should come right up, shutdown and install your 550TI and boot, now you should have a working LMDE.
method 2:
update the system to the latest up3 and install the nvidia drivers. Create the xorg.conf(use the nvidia walkthrough) blacklist nouveau drivers and reboot. System should come right up, shutdown and install your 550TI and boot, now you should have a working LMDE.

I just used method 2 on my system and it's working like a top....

Good Luck!
Greydog56

Post by Greydog56 »

Removed my GTX 550 Ti card and installed my nvidia 9500

Did fresh install of Mint 11 -64 Kernal 2.6.3.8.8 then all updates. Did not update graphics driver

I set up system to boot into text mode: sudo gedit /etc/init/gdm.conf
altered line stop on run level [016] to stop on runlevel [0126]

system boots into text mode

I created my own nouveau blacklist file in /etc/modprobe.d/

ran NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run

got this: The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!

Next screen of installer got the following alert that Nouveau still running

The Nouveau Kernel driver is currently in use..must be disabled...

I let the nvidia installer create it's own blacklist: nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf created to blacklist Nouveau

rebooted system and installer fails again. First notice is the “The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!” and the second is the notice nouveau is still running.

I searched several hours this evening on disabling nouveau driver and tried several with no success.

***Dwainhead, I could list all my methods but was hoping you might please share the method you used to disable nouveau? ***

My level is novice. I've been using Linux for about 2 years and still learning terminal/consol. I mentioned that so if a forum user can offer help, you will know better what level to communicate.

thanks in advance...greydog

processor- AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core HDX840WFGMBOX
motherboard- AMD Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX
ram- 16 gig of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
video- Sparkle SFPX95GT1024U2H GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
power supply- SeaSonic X series SS-400FL 400W ATX12V Fanless Modular
hard drive- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

greydog,
I used the walkthrough posted here /viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424 to install and blacklist nouveau, I think it's important 1. to make the new xorg.conf before you reboot and 2. blacklist and purge the nouveau driver before reboot.

I hope this help! good luck!
Greydog56

Post by Greydog56 »

Installing Nvidia drivers for this GTX550 TI was a big stretch for me the novice user. Thank you for help offered in this thread. In the end, I used the below link to guide me through final solution to make my GTX 550 Ti work in X.

http://linuxers.org/howto/how-remove-no ... ers-ubuntu

Running sudo update-initramfs -u , a reboot then another attempt at installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run was successful.

I imagine the Nvidia installation and configuration instructions referenced it somewhere but I missed it.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... ation.html
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Well however you got it working gald your up and running now!
Greydog56

Post by Greydog56 »

This post is a continuation of the gtx 550 ti driver installation, but maybe a different issue? please advise if it should have been new topic.

I just finished installing new NVidia GTX 550 Ti video card on my system, suggestions on this forum helped me figure out how to install NVidia proprietary NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run driver.

A day after the new GTX 550 Ti Nvidia driver is working I tried loading X-plane (a flight sim) on my fresh Mint install. I ran the installer for x-plane and got something about GLX. My NVidia settings were at 24 bit so I thought I'd try lowering to 16 bit to see what happened. I got the same "wonky" message. I just set xorg.conf back to 24 and again same "wonky" message.

I'll be working on my "wonky" system tonight but sure do appreciate any advice.

Thanks very much for your suggestions....

tim@mint64 ~ $ cd Desktop
tim@mint64 ~/Desktop $ ls -l
total 5988
-rwxrwxr-x 1 tim tim 6131099 2012-03-16 21:19 X-Plane 10 Installer Linux
tim@mint64 ~/Desktop $ sudo ./"X-Plane 10 Installer Linux"
[sudo] password for tim: 
Whoah -- no matter how hard I tried, I failed to get a GLX visual. Something's seriously wonky on your machine.
tim@mint64 ~/Desktop $ 
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

I took the following from the nvidia drivers thread, creadt to the original author.....
Use this to make sure you have glx working properly and the follloing lines are in you xorg.conf

#alter or create a new xorg.config
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

#add the following content
Section "Module"
 Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Video Card"
 Driver "nvidia"
 Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
 Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

#save and close everything

#restart x - use keyboard or reboot as there is a bug in gdm3
#http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=590534
#ctrl-alt-bkspc

#confirm that it is now working
glxinfo |grep rendering
#direct rendering: yes -- is good

#create file
gksudo gedit ~/.gnomerc
#add the following line without the #s
export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz
#save the file and reboot
Greydog56

Post by Greydog56 »

I appreciate your help very much dwainehead.

added reccomended lines to xorg, saved, closed then rebooted

then

tim@mint64 ~ $ glxinfo |grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
tim@mint64 ~ $ 

created ~/.gnomerc , added the export line , saved file and rebooted

tried my installer for x-plane:

tim@mint64 ~/Desktop $ sudo ./"X-Plane 10 Installer Linux"
Whoah -- no matter how hard I tried, I failed to get a GLX visual. Something's seriously wonky on your machine.
tim@mint64 ~/Desktop $ 
I've another computer with a fresh Mint 11 64 bit install only it uses my older NVidia 9500 card. The x-plane installer works fine on that computer. I'll look closer at the Mint forum Graphic Cards and Monitors page.

I wonder if I should be posting questions regarding my issue on a topic in there now?

-tim

Return to “LMDE Archive”