[SOLVED] building Cinnamon (sid)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GregE

Re: [SOLVED] building Cinnamon (sid)

Post by GregE »

In the latest official 1.4 I have lost pull down menus in Iceweasel, Chrome and Chromium. Possibly others, but those are the ones I have tried. My autostart programs are autostarting.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Pull down menus (like the "wrench" menu in Chrome) seem to be OK. Tried Chrome & firefox-nightly. Iceweasel crashes:

Code: Select all

iceweasel
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin: relocation error: /usr/lib/xulrunner-11.0/libxul.so: symbol SSL_RestartHandshakeAfterAuthCertificate, version NSS_3.13.2 not defined in file libssl3.so.1d with link time reference
Don't use it so this may have been the case for a while.
GregE

Post by GregE »

xircon wrote:Pull down menus (like the "wrench" menu in Chrome) seem to be OK. Tried Chrome & firefox-nightly. Iceweasel crashes:

iceweasel
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin: relocation error: /usr/lib/xulrunner-11.0/libxul.so: symbol SSL_RestartHandshakeAfterAuthCertificate, version NSS_3.13.2 not defined in file libssl3.so.1d with link time reference
Don't use it so this may have been the case for a while.
Iceweasel not running might be something to do with having both Iceweasel and Firefox installed.

My pull down menu error is something I have had in the past. The solution was to do with window themes or something odd, but I don't remember. My system is an updated Wheezy install with the Mint repos added, so I guess I might have some Debian package in place of a Mint one. Although I think that unlikely. I am a dedicated Gnome Shell user anyway, I just play with Cinnamon every now and then so I will just wait for 1.4.1

Cheers
msm

Post by msm »

Bit of a silly question, I know, but how can I install 1.4?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

msm wrote:Bit of a silly question, I know, but how can I install 1.4?
It's in the repos now:

$ apt policy cinnamon
cinnamon:
  Installed: ...
  Candidate: 1.4.0-lmde1 
So just:

$ apt install cinnamon
msm

Post by msm »

mockturtl wrote:
msm wrote:Bit of a silly question, I know, but how can I install 1.4?
It's in the repos now:

$ apt policy cinnamon
cinnamon:
  Installed: ...
  Candidate: 1.4.0-lmde1 
So just:

$ apt install cinnamon
Cool. Many thanks for your reply!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote:I had a little trouble upgrading to the official 1.4.0-lmde1 package. Kept crashing on startup. I fixed it by cleaning out all cinnamon references from the build process (find /usr/local -name cinnamon*). Tracking down the error messages, gsettings was giving precedence to an old local version of the schema (/usr/local/share/glib-2.0) missing some new keys needed by 1.4. Got rid of that directory, and everything runs smoothly.

Seems like the same problem ZZ encountered in the 1.3 upgrade. I believe we should have been running configure with prefix=/usr all this time.
no idea how i missed this yesterday :!: :?: does this mean that i can still rescue that cinnamon?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:
mockturtl wrote:I had a little trouble upgrading to the official 1.4.0-lmde1 package. Kept crashing on startup. I fixed it by cleaning out all cinnamon references from the build process (find /usr/local -name cinnamon*). Tracking down the error messages, gsettings was giving precedence to an old local version of the schema (/usr/local/share/glib-2.0) missing some new keys needed by 1.4. Got rid of that directory, and everything runs smoothly.

Seems like the same problem ZZ encountered in the 1.3 upgrade. I believe we should have been running configure with prefix=/usr all this time.
no idea how i missed this yesterday :!: :?: does this mean that i can still rescue that cinnamon?
I bet so, if you wipe everything the build put into /usr/local.
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

Upgraded to 1.4-lmde1, no problems so far. Only a very long start noticed: computer starts from power-on to logon-screen same time that from logon-screen to desktop.
leafpaul

Post by leafpaul »

xircon wrote:Upgraded to official release, am not getting Mockturtl's problems, but have some of my own :)

Some of my autostart programs, well, no longer autostart:
Gmail screenlet
Clear Weather screenlet
guake
clipman

They do launch from nautilus.

Any ideas where to look??

I have had a problem from the start with cinnamon starting from the log on screen, I was getting the "Oh No! Something has gone wrong screen" when trying to log on using cinnamon, I was having to log on to gnome shell then alt F2 and cinnamon --replace to use cinnamon. This mail got me looking at the start up programs were I found gnome shell listed with a tick. I have no idea why this would be there. But unticking it and now cinnamon starts properly from the log on screen.
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

There is a strange behaviour of Cinnamon after 1.4-lmde1 update.
Situation: Cinnamon window list applet is active and there are more than 5 windows opened.
Result: "Cinnamon Menu" applet button and "Panel launchers" applet buttons shrink :o There are three dots instead of "Menu". More windows open, applet buttons shrink to nothing (but I still can click somewhere in the screen corner and menu opens).

Seems like a bug, applet buttons should not shrink at all like system tray icons do.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Anyone still building cinnamon? I Built it today after a git pull, it crashes to the "aw snap" type screen. Have dropped back to the version in the repo.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

xircon wrote:Anyone still building cinnamon? I Built it today after a git pull, it crashes to the "aw snap" type screen. Have dropped back to the version in the repo.
I haven't been keeping up. With 201204 shipped and Precise dropping tomorrow, they'll start to ramp up for Maya with GNOME 3.4. We'll have to wait a while to see compatibility with wheezy.

Keep an eye on the status page, and give a shout when the dependencies arrive. :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In Debian Experimental the latest code is probably able to run. Ubuntu 12.04 is also not 100% up-to-date with upstream Gnome 3.4. We don't need everything to be coloured dark green on that page for cinnamon to run.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

AlbertP wrote:In Debian Experimental the latest code is probably able to run
:shock: muffin 1.3 builds in sid, with gir1.2-clutter-1.0 v1.10.0-1 from experimental.

Cinnamon (2b85ba3) seems to hit more api changes:

st/st-scroll-bar.c: In function 'st_scroll_bar_scroll_event':
st/st-scroll-bar.c:649:3: error: enumeration value 'CLUTTER_SCROLL_SMOOTH' not handled in switch [-Werror=switch]
st/st-scroll-bar.c: In function 'stop_scrolling':
st/st-scroll-bar.c:789:3: error: 'clutter_set_motion_events_enabled' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/clutter-1.0/clutter/deprecated/clutter-main.h:49): Use 'clutter_stage_set_motion_events_enabled' instead [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
edit: full upgrade from experimental, including gir1.2-clutter-gst-1.0, gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0; still no joy

edit: I see this in Precise, too
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote: edit: I see this in Precise, too
apparently was just an OOPS https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... nt-5403626
and today i logged in in my precise partition, updated and cinnamon was working
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Clutter 1.10 has migrated to testing; the libcogl update wants to wipe out muffin 1.0.2.

I'll provide updated wheezy tarballs once I've verified everything builds in sid.

Make sure to build the upstream stable branch (not the default master), per the Cinnamon blog.

$ git checkout -b devel origin/stable
$ git lg -1  # custom alias for `git log`
* 527ecbc - (HEAD, 1.4-UP1, origin/stable, devel) Fix themeability of systray icons (systray applets loses its style, systray icon

mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I've updated the first post with build instructions.

muffin 1.0.3 / cinnamon 1.4-UP1-SNAPSHOT-527ecbc

32-bit wheezy
md5: bb206e7f5f17f4d771b3c3bc4c1cf3db

64-bit wheezy
md5: 4b5b368ffbe259cbbb04df429532a267
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I'm not following the changes, but it looks like there's been a version bump.

muffin 1.0.3-UP1 / cinnamon 1.4-UP2-SNAPSHOT-510cadd

32-bit wheezy
md5: f43eb876b3446d5f50a3a8d8266a9bbd

64-bit wheezy
md5: ef2b93b1df19d3582905b0186d115d2d
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks MT, I still can't compile Cinnamon here:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libffi.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.7/../../../../lib/libmuffin.so, may conflict with libffi.so.6
cinnamon_real-main.o: In function `cinnamon_prefs_init':
/home/molly2/Cinnamon/src/main.c:139: undefined reference to `meta_prefs_override_preference_schema'
/home/molly2/Cinnamon/src/main.c:141: undefined reference to `meta_prefs_override_preference_schema'
/home/molly2/Cinnamon/src/main.c:143: undefined reference to `meta_prefs_override_preference_schema'
/home/molly2/Cinnamon/src/main.c:145: undefined reference to `meta_prefs_override_preference_schema'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Did you encounter this?

And have never managed Muffin (think it is an AMD/ATI thing).

Return to “LMDE Archive”